Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 02-08-2012, 02:13 AM
Big Dog

Default Canidae

I'm looking at foods to switch to once the current food I have Dreizehn on (puppy food) starts getting low. One of the foods I'm highly considering is Canidae ALS. It looks like a great food for the price and I'm specifically looking for an ALS food so that when I get my puppy I won't (in a perfect world) have to feed multiple foods.

So... has anybody fed Canidae?
How did/do your dogs do on it?
Were you/are you pleased with the food?

Dreizehn & Ruthless
Old 02-08-2012, 07:51 AM
love the fluff

I don't feed it, but from what I have heard,the quality is not what it once was. For the price you will pay for Canidae, I think I would look into Orijen/Acana.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Love my pets

This happens to be the only food my son can feed his dog; he's tried lots of brands/flavors, etc... and Canidae is the only one he does well on.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I used to feed it. I switched off it for something higher quality, but it used to be the food I would recommend to everybody as a good "starter" premium food. The price wasn't outrageous and the quality was pretty good.
Some time after I switched, they changed the ingredients in it to make it lower quality and didn't put anything on the bags like "new formula!" to let people know, and a bunch of dogs got the runs and stuff from the new formula. I know many people were unhappy about it, and a fair number of people switched because their dogs weren't doing well on the new formula even after the initial tummy problems. I no longer recommend it.

I agree with naturalfeddogs, I think for the price you could get something better quality than Canidae.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Big Dog

I knew the formula had changed but I didn't know it got that much worse. It also really peeves me when companies do things like that... I made a spreadsheet so I could compare the different foods more easily. I'm trying to find one whose ingredients I like, that's ALS, and that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. At $70 a bag and about $2.40 a pound things like Orijen and Acana aren't an option. I'm a student so as much as I want to feed Dreizehn the best it's also gotta be within my budget. I have a month or so before I have to make a decision so perhaps I"ll do more poking around.

Dreizehn & Ruthless
Old 02-08-2012, 11:09 AM
love the fluff

How about Wellness?
Old 02-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Top Dog

I think Taste of the Wild and Earthborn Holistic (I only like the grain free) are some of the more affordable high quality kibbles.

I like one of the Canidae grain free formulas, "Pure Elements" (the other grain frees don't have enough protein IMO) so I'd still recommend that as a good food, it just depends on whether or not you trust the company given how much they downgraded their food when they made that change a few years ago.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 02-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Taste of the Wild and Kirkland (they have a grain free line too) are both good value for your dollar. The Go!/Now! are good too (I believe the Now! Is the grain free lines, but Go! Has one grain free formula with chicken, if he can have chicken.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Top Dog

I feed Taste of the Wild (comes to around $1.50 per pound without any discounts, but if you can find a coupon for an online store I've gotten it for as low as $1/lb).
Old 02-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Top Dog

Winston (our first Doberman) ate Canidae and did well on it. That was before they made some changes, but I still hear good things about it. It is not a popular seller at the store that I work at, but the people who do buy it seem to like it and their dogs look great. Ingredients wise it is not my favourite, but it's certainly far from the worst.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN