Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-30-2012, 04:40 PM
On second thought...

Default Bordetella (Kennel Cough) Vaccine?

So, there is a group trying to get a dog park put together within my region. Not sure if I'll ever use it, so this isn't really a dog park debate, but they have this thing written up that they need proof of vaccination, even bordetella.

Since both my dogs came from shelters, I'm guessing that the shelter gave them a vaccine, though I'd have to check their papers back home.

To the best of my knowledge, Kennel Cough isn't fatal. I've known several dogs who have gotten it, and with the exception of the cough, they behaved normally. No change in appetite or energy. It seemed to me like the biggest problem with it is that it's transmitted easily from dog to dog.

I've heard awful things about the vaccine, though mostly from people who are anti-over vaccination anyways.

So do you guys vaccinate against KC? Why or why not?

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Wookie Collie

Finn got his bordetella at his second to last annual visit. He goes to the dog park all the time. He still got kennel cough, likely from there.

It's like the flu shot. Doesn't work all the time or for all strains. Finn was goopy for a few days but recovered fine.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 01-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Top Dog

I don't. The vaccine only protects against certain strains anyway, and actually, the one time I did vaccinate for it my dog ended up with Kennel Cough shortly after. And apparently that isn't uncommon for some reason.

I think the vaccine is a waste of money, personally, and totally useless. All of my current dogs have had Kennel Cough at some point (they're constantly around other dogs), and they were fine. Definitely a little lethargic, and they coughed up a lot of phlegm, but they were mostly themselves still and got over it relatively quickly.

But I don't like over vaccinating anyway, so if I don't have to vaccinate against something, I won't.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 01-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Resident fainting goat

No. We only do it only if the place we are going (like doggy daycare) REQUIRES it. otherwise, I don't think its worth it.
It protects against like 32 strains and there are like 100 strains of kennel cough I believe..

We do dogs parks everyday and my dogs have only gotten it once (this was after getting the vaccine and going to doggy daycare mind you)
and frankly, it's just like a common cold. They get over it. They are healthy, they have immune systems.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:54 PM
Top Dog

I have Lucy vaccinated, because agility and daycare require it.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:56 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Nope never. I prefer to just work on my dogs having a great immune system for stuff like this.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:03 PM
Top Dog

Nope, but I don't vaccinate against anything, so shouldn't really comment.

My Photos
Old 01-30-2012, 06:58 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Nope. Even when we fostered Armani (Lab/Basset cross) who came to us with kennel cough, I opted to not vaccinate my girls and just let their immune systems fight it off or not. Neither one of them came down with it.

'Course, I don't vaccinate myself for the flu, either, and never plan to.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:02 PM
Top Dog

I do bare minimum with vacs for Yoshi.

She has had Kennel Cough one time in her 6 years. It was horrible but once she was on the meds all the symptoms were gone in about a day.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:13 PM
orange iguanas.

I vaccinate Juno for it because it is required at daycare, and some training facilities require it too (our usual place doesn't, but sometimes I like to switch around lol).

Otherwise I wouldn't do it. KC isn't a big deal to me and I'm pretty sure she got it after being vaccinated as a puppy (which she then passed on to Lucy). But if it weren't for daycare, I wouldn't do ANY vaccinations. So meh.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013