I would get one of these foxes! http://sibfox.com/
I want one too!!!

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 02-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaD View Post

I want a Norwegian Forest cat, and when I'm older, I may be willing to spend $600+. It's not a breed you can find in rescues, and they are just cool. I mean come on, they are Norwegian!
OT but we have a retired Norwegian Forest cat breeder that brings her cats into my store. OMG, LOVE THEM! Someday, I will have one. Someday.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

There are reasons for the cost. Grab has already explained many of them. Fran's post also says a lot.

You also have to remember that cats have very complicated and delicate systems that we are only now beginning to understand just how different they are.

There are cat breeds in which you have to be just as careful with your breedings as you do with some dog breeds.

Cats have often been treated as the second class citizens of pets for some reason...

I worked at a clinic that specialized in cats only and learned there that there is so much more that goes on with their very specialized little systems than most people realize

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 02-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
See the difference in the ferret and the dog? Toy breeds are still dogs and are still very useful.
The difference between the ferret at the dog. That toy breeds are still dogs, and are still very useful. That would mean the difference is that ferrets are not dogs, and are not useful. It's not that I have heart in it, it's the wording that you are using.

If I said "oranges have a peel you do not eat, so you have to peel them first. See the difference between an orange and an apple? An apple you don't have to peel to eat, so it is better." It is just changing your example from dogs and ferrets to apples and oranges. In the end, it is saying the same thing, but this case is about fruit.

I'm sure there are cat people would be willing to pay $1000 for a cat, but not willing to pay more than $100 for a dog. So does this mean that dogs should cost less and not be as health tested, since cat people aren't willing to pay that much for them?

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

Cats have often been treated as the second class citizens of pets for some reason...
Ain't that the truth! We have so many customers who come into our store for dog food, then head to WalMart for their Cat Chow. Ugh. We hear "it's just a cat" so often, it's sickening.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Ain't that the truth! We have so many customers who come into our store for dog food, then head to WalMart for their Cat Chow. Ugh. We hear "it's just a cat" so often, it's sickening.
That is very sad. Diet in cats is so important. *sigh*

My kitty eats just as well as my dogs

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 02-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Top Dog

I could never get a cat from a breeder, because I, honestly, just don't see the difference in personality between a purebred and a rescue off the streets.

My whole family, close and extended, has cats, all rescues, and they have all lived to be in their 20's, with zero health problems, and extremely friendly and outgoing. Is it just purebred cats that have these health issues?

It's a cultural thing, too. My shelter charges $45 for cats, and people balk at the mere idea of paying more than $5.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
That is very sad. Diet in cats is so important. *sigh*

My kitty eats just as well as my dogs
It's way more important IMO/IME that a cat be on a correct (ie: canned/raw) diet than dogs!

Old 02-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picklepaige View Post
I could never get a cat from a breeder, because I, honestly, just don't see the difference in personality between a purebred and a rescue off the streets.

My whole family, close and extended, has cats, all rescues, and they have all lived to be in their 20's, with zero health problems, and extremely friendly and outgoing. Is it just purebred cats that have these health issues?

It's a cultural thing, too. My shelter charges $45 for cats, and people balk at the mere idea of paying more than $5.
It's not that just purebred cats have these issues, but not every cat is going to have issues. Also, if they cats come from generations of strays, their bodies almost adapt to that.

It's the same as every dog isn't going to have issues just because they aren't health tested. Rosey is 15 years old, and a mutt found on the streets. She has never been to the vet for anything other than an annual physical, and she's still healthy at 15. Same with my aunt's dog, Blackie, although she's 12 or so.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picklepaige View Post
Is it just purebred cats that have these health issues?
Nope, we have numerous 'plain ol regular' cats that come in to the clinic who have arthritis, kidney issues or liver issues (in young cats), diabetes, etc. Cats are fabulous at hiding things until they are serious issues, so many things aren't picked up on right away.

There's also a tendency to write things off in cats...how many cats routinely vomit after eating, with it being written off as a 'cat thing'. Sometimes it's diet related, or 'just because', but it can also be an issue. Yet many owners would certainly rush their dog in for diagnostics for vomiting their meals several times a week. Same with inappropriate urination...I can't count how many clients let it go on for ages, thinking their cat is being spiteful, when they've had a uti for months.