Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Top Dog

Which is why I made the destinction between cats and dogs. I would pay up to 800 or more for a dog and would be pretty suspious of breeder of say, germans shepherds who are giving out puppies for 300. I'm not too familar with the cat world, but cats generally have less health problems, easier to take care of compared to dogs, and are breed strictly for companion or show.

I mean, there is a distinction of cost between animals of all kinds. Rats, what wonderful creatures they are, cost between 10 to 30 dollars. Ferrets tend to go for 60 and up. Rabbits tend to go for 40 and up, some are less. People show rabbits as well and the cost for them is somewhere around 100 and less. Rarer pets, of course, are much more expensive. I don't see why the cost of owning a well-bred cat should be such a dramatic difference. It probably due to the fact that, along with dogs, cats are the most popular pets to have and can afford that cost.

Do I think cat prices need to be lowerd. Yes I do. It is an opinion. It is not like I could actually do anything about it. This is more of a rant than anything.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Love My Mutt <3

To say that cats are of less value to dogs is really offensive to people. Cat people think cats are worth just as much or more. And cats can have so many health issues... Most things you see with dogs, cats have heir own version.

I have to ask... Where on earth are you finding $60 ferrets? O.o even mill ferrets are $200+. I wouldn't touch a $60 ferret with a 10 foot pole. It's even more important for ferrets to be health tested than dogs, IMO, since so much can go wrong so young. I'm looking to buy a ferret from a breeder in the future, and I'm easily looking at spending $500. Heck, even a ferret from rescue is $150-200 (Kinda sad I don't even know how much we charge)

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Top Dog

It isn't about being of lesser value. I'm pretty sure owners of rats can vouche that rats are much more than the cost of 10 dollars. Rats can be trained too and are even bomb sniffers in some countries. I'm pretty sure almost all of you on this forum do not see your animals as property, but family members. Yet you "brought" them and have ownership of them. They had a price tag and that price usually depended on the money worth of the animal. A rat is no more than 10 dollars because they are of lesser value than a dog. An owner might not think that, but I highly doubt that same person would spend 800 for a rat. Cats are GREAT companion animals. I've own one and can say without a doubt. They are still less value than a dog. Same as rabbits. There isn't much a rabbit can do, which is why their price tag is what they are. Exotic animals do not count for this.

I mean, if not, lets make ALL companion animals up to 800 or more. Why not? All companion animals should be expensive because they are all worth it. That is not how it works! Just because I would buy a rat for 20 does not mean I see them as less of a family member or I wouldn't spend out of my pocket to make it healthy. That is the most important thing.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Show Dog

I doubt that I would ever pay that much for a cat...but I'm not a cat person. The two cats I have now are technically my brothers and we picked them up as strays. We did spend around $1000 on them in the first six months, but that was all vet related (and all routine, they were healthy). I don't have any problem spending money on a cat that I already own, but I personally wouldn't spend much on the actual acquisition of a cat.

That said, I could see why some people would. I don't know anything about the cat world, however a quick google search brought this(http://www.mcbfa.org/breedcats.html) up. Based on that, it looks like breeding cats (responsibly) has many similarities to breeding dogs.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
To say that cats are of less value to dogs is really offensive to people. Cat people think cats are worth just as much or more. And cats can have so many health issues... Most things you see with dogs, cats have heir own version.

I have to ask... Where on earth are you finding $60 ferrets? O.o even mill ferrets are $200+. I wouldn't touch a $60 ferret with a 10 foot pole. It's even more important for ferrets to be health tested than dogs, IMO, since so much can go wrong so young. I'm looking to buy a ferret from a breeder in the future, and I'm easily looking at spending $500. Heck, even a ferret from rescue is $150-200 (Kinda sad I don't even know how much we charge)
Maybe it is because your in Canada, but the starting range for a ferret here is $60-$75 going up.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:16 AM
ಥ⌣ಥ

The prices make perfect sense to me as well. If I were going to a good breeder, I'd expect to pay about the same as I would for a breeder dog.

I prefer hybrid cats myself, Savannahs and Safari's, Chausies, etc, so I expect to pay even more, much more, for one of those. When I was looking for a Sphynx, I didn't see much in the way of less than about $600 for pet quality.

Just to add: Rockefeller came to us discounted because he was only a month over the mark for the discount on the adoption drive for kittens 6 months or younger. In all, though, it still came to just under $200 to adopt him from the local shelter, while they were inundated with kittens during kitten season. And he's not even a purebred, despite being identical to a Turkish Van.

My Polyvore
Old 02-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahla9999 View Post
I'm not too familar with the cat world, but cats generally have less health problems, easier to take care of compared to dogs, and are breed strictly for companion or show.
Just on this note.. Cats do have quite a few health problems/health testing for example...

Well, you've got the "basics" - blood panel, viral screening, diseases that can be passed down such as FIV and FeLV.
http://www.cathealth.com/diagnostictests…
http://www.cathealth.com/FeLV.htm
http://www.cathealth.com/FIV.htm

Once you get past the basic tests to ensure they're in good health, you need to take a look at the possible health conditions within that breed. For example, the Maine Coon, Persians, and Ragdolls susceptible to HCM (Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy)
http://www.cathealth.com/FlHCM.htm
And then there's two eye problems known to affect the Burmese..

- Breeding quality kitten $1500-2000 each (same goes for dogs/cats) more so for cats of proven/champion parents .
- and just like with dogs, no good breeder of healthy cats is going to give you a kitten with breeding rights without knowing you first. So you've gotta be at shows, be around in the breed, etc... which is even more $$
- Stud fee (AI, shipping semen, buying another male cat, etc..) $$$
- General health/vet program for cats.
- The Queen must be vaccinated right before she is bred or in some cases during the pregnancy. Most high quality breeding cats are tested for FIV & Feline Leukemia prior to every breeding.
- All breeding cats must be tested for Hip Dysplasia
-The HCM screening is done annually, at around $300 per year. on ALL cats.
- Cat rearing supplies/kitten supplies.
- DNA tests for specific genetic diseases
- Vaccinating each kitten in the litter
- Feeding the kittens
- General care for all the cats (food, litter, etc..)

and that doesn't even include showing and titles..

and as for "use".. chihuahuas, maltese, toy breeds etc..etc.. are all dog breeds that are only bred for companion and show. Frankly, these days, I'd say about 40% of quality dog breeders are only breeding for companion/show (not that they don't preserve instinct.. but still, their dogs aren't working sheep or hunting for example).
doesn't make the dogs any less expensive to Ch., health test, show or breed..

Even without show or anything else, health testing is EXPENSIVE. and finding the RIGHT breeding quality (even just health/temperament wise) sire/dam is expensive, regardless of breed.

and even in the US a well bred ferret ( health testing, temperament etc...) does run about $300+ at a good breeder
just some random examples.
http://www.scarletts-happydookers.com/kits2012.html
http://www.gfxferret.com/

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.

Last edited by Fran101; 02-07-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:29 AM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Savannahs, if anyone's interested, can run for up to, and above, $20,000. $800 really doesn't seem so bad

My Polyvore
Old 02-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

If you want cat from a breeder, I think that's a fair price. Cats live long and I'm sure there's an abundance of health testing available. If you want a cheap cat, go rescue one.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Top Dog

I'm in the US..ferrets here are just under $200..and those are pet store, mill bred ones.

Cats can have a multitude of health issues..they can get hip dysplasia, heart issues, thyroid or kidney problems, etc. Some of these can be screened through DNA testing, and reputable breeders do this. A simple search on the OFA site shows cats with hip and cardiac testing, amongst others. In addition, there's the standard FeLV/FIV and other blood testing. I believe showing cats is a little different than with dogs as well

Here's a small rundown http://www.mcbfa.org/breedcats.html

Cats require housing (if they have a male on site, they usually, though not always, have their own area to stay in), feeding, showing, etc..same as dogs. What makes them less expensive than a small dog?