Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Top Dog

Default Cost of Cats

In the future I plan to own a pure bred cat. The two breeds I'm interested in is the Sphynx and the Abyssinian cat. I was just checking the prices on so-called responsible breeders websites and was overblown on how much they cost! The Abyssinian is the cheaper of the two as they generally go for 700 and up. The Sphynx could go for 900 and up. There is difference amongst the prices when it comes to show and pet with show cats typically costing 1000 and up.

I don't know if it is just me, but I don't believe cats should cost that much. I mean, I understand paying 800 and up for a dog. Dogs were bred for a variety of tasks, and what you can do with a dog has almost endless possibilities. Cats are bred only with companionship in mind. There isn't much you can do with a cat unless you want to become one of those cat trainers who, in their words, take a year for a cat to be train to do a trick. Dogs also have more in terms of health problems so making sure to find a breeder health testing their dogs is a must.

I mean, there are people selling these cats lower than typical price, some as low as 300. I honestly don't see myself paying more than 400-500 dollar range for a cat. I might try the rescue route for these cats too. There just doesn't seem to be any justification for having cats cost so much.

How much are you welling to spend for a cat?

Old 02-07-2012, 07:58 AM
Top Dog

Well, I paid $700 for my Ragdoll from my breeder, of course that was back when I had quite a bit more money in my bank account (it was before I moved out of my parents)! Now, would I spend that much? Heck no!

I would definitely explore the rescue option. I am always seeing Ragdolls on CL.. and they're legit Ragdolls too (not the "Oh it's fluffy, therefore it's a Ragdoll or Maine Coon" LOL). Not sure if it's the same with the breeds you're looking for, but you never know.

You can also email breeders to see if they have any retired adults available. They'll usually rehome them at a much lower price than kittens.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Top Dog

Yeah, I read about breeders selling retired adults for less money. To me, show cats wouldn't go for no more than 500-600. I just don't see how cats can go for a cost similar to that of dogs. I mean, the common justification I read on breeders sites on why their cats go for so much is because since cats are so expendable to so many people( which is so true) only the people welling to pay up to a thousand for a cat are truely looking for the cat's best interest. That just isolates a large number of people who are welling to spend as much on their pet but not on buying the pet. I mean, Kai was brought very cheaply by my parents and he is given the best quality food, toys, and vet care whenever needed.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:24 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Is there much in the way of health testing and such for cats? Showing costs, breeding costs, etc? Because "we charge a lot so people value them" is pretty empty...basically a varient of "we can so we do"...

I mean one reason that well bred dogs can have substantial pricetags is the cost of various heath testing and prooving out temperament/working ability, not to mention the cost of actually having the litter (depending on how it's done and if things go wrong).

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Chihuahua Power!

I can understand why cat breeders charge similar amounts to dog breeders. I really don't know much about cat breeding, but I assume that cost of titling cats is a good bit (show entry fees, traveling, etc), health testing, food, vet costs associated with the litters, etc.

In general, cats live longer than dogs... so I can't see how a well bred cat costing $500-1000 is expensive.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 02-07-2012, 08:25 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

After having quite a few brilliant cats that were just generic mutts...I think the most I'd be willing to pay for a cat is the $50 adoption from a shelter. Definitely not knocking those that purchase a purebred cat from a breeder, but the traits I like in a cat are easily found in many cats waiting for a home so that's the route I'm going to go.

For example, a friend of mine adopted a cat from the shelter a few years back and she's trained him to walk on a leash, wear a sweater, and ride in the car. He goes everywhere her dogs go and he gets groomed once a month along with her dogs as well (as she's allergic to cats and needs to keep the dander and hair under control). He acts JUST like an Abyssinian. Very outgoing, talkative, trainable, interactive, and if you don't pay attention to him he gets depressed and sulks. In the shelter environment he was pretty much deemed unadoptable because he was an adult male black cat who not only was self mutilating himself in his kennel due to sheer boredom, he would lunge and swat at anyone who walked near his cage (he was trying desperately to play).

ETA: I can see why breeders charge multiple hundreds for their cats, and I have no problem with that. I just personally wouldn't pay it. LOL

Old 02-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Just try me..

I'm with Jessie. I can't see how breeding cats if you health test and show is less than dogs. In fact IME its harder to have multiple cats in a home and be a 'small' breeder than dogs. You pretty much need a cattery from what I hear, but we small dog breeders don't need a kennel.

Would I pay that much for a cat? Not likely but I don't see why someone should lose money just because you don't think their cat is worth it. If you don't think its worth it adopt....

You can buy purebred dogs for 300 too, but they generally aren't the breeders you want to be supporting.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:30 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Yeah I don't really see breeding show cats of a particular breed as being much different than breeders of small companion dog breeds, tbh.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Resident fainting goat

Would I pay that much? probably not.. I am not a cat enthusiast and am really not interested in breeds. I don't even like cats all that much, but most I would pay is $100. and that cat would need to have the works (shots, s/n, healthy, etc...)

but I can see WHY they charge that much. Some of the same reasons dog breeders do... it costs a lot of money to breed any animal the RIGHT WAY. health testing, showing, finding a sire/dam with the right temperament/health, stud fees, c-sections maybe, cost of getting a litter vetted etc..

GOOD Cat breeders aren't as popular as dog breeders, which of course probably puts the price up. Shows are fewer and further in between, gene pools smaller, quality animals limited (shipping semen, AI, buying a quality full reg. animal from another breeder etc..), health testing not as popular so probably more expensive.

and of course seeing that there are so few cat breeders (relatively) and blood lines are usually well protected in rarer breeds.. There are fewer kittens, dams, sires, blood lines etc.. to go around. and I know quite a few people who are into pure-bred cats. and there are very few kitty-mills/cheap alternatives sooo..supply/demand.. they can push the price as high as they'd like to cover cost and be picky about the homes their kittens go to.

Saying that cat breeders shouldn't charge that much because cats are just companions is like saying that chihuahua breeders or other companion animal breeds shouldn't charge that much because they are "just" companions. ..which is ridiculous. It still costs A LOT to breed an animal well. and as Dekka said, sure, you could find a lot of pure bred animal breeders (cat or dog) that don't charge that much.. but chances are, they are cutting corners.

but yea, would never go to a breeder for a cat. I don't really care that much about pure breeding and such..
I would probably just pick some old shelter cat that looks grumpy and funny lol
Old 02-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Top Dog

There are health tests for cats too. Each breed has things that need be tested for, there are costs of showing, etc. Saying cats should cost less because they're cats is rather offensive. Cats are fine companions and aren't of lesser value than dogs.

You can often find cats in rescues (even purebreds like Sphynx), so that's an option if you really don't want to pay breeder prices. My two Persians were found as strays at separate times..one by someone who found him and could never find the owner and the other was picked up by animal control and I adopted her when her stray hold was up. Of course, just as with dogs, you won't have an idea of any health issues they might have. You can also often find breeders rehoming adult retired breeding cats for a lower price than that of the kittens.

Nothing says you HAVE to pay a larger amount for a cat, but nothing says you have to have a purebred cat either.

We find our Persians so pleasant that it's the only cat we'll have in the future.