Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-30-2013, 11:05 AM
I'm All Ears

Zuma is awesome! They need to make more little bcish dogs.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
SO SMOOTH!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Maybe I will send you Backup after all, Sara. Fantastic job!
I want a Backup!! I'll be waiting patiently on my door stoop for his arrival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Zuma is looking great!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Zuma is awesome! They need to make more little bcish dogs.
I would pay big money for a Zuma clone. Actually, Zinga is pretty darn close. So ya.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:54 PM
I'm All Ears

You should totally breed her in about 3-4 years. Mmmm hmm b
Old 04-30-2013, 02:01 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Hopefully it's ok to ask this here, since all you agility people are on here.

I'm goign to check out a training facility tomorrow. I've been wanting to go check her out for a while, but haven't because of money/time. Hopefully if all turns out well, Talon will start going to foundations in June!

Question, what should I look for? Other than positive training (all positive, basics I can see), but are there a few big things in agility that make one trainer great while another not that great? IDK, I guess tips?

I have to go to the competition agility class as my schedule this time around doesn't work with any of her other classes, so the dogs should be much further advance.

thanks!
Old 04-30-2013, 02:06 PM
The Monster.

To say it briefly, the place should be in no rush to put your dog on/over equipment. They should emphasize shaping. They should emphasize a safe and controlled environment. They should emphasize the basics like off leash control, focus around distractions, handling on the flat and reinforcement for working closely with the handler before they even think about introducing you to obstacles.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 04-30-2013, 02:13 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
To say it briefly, the place should be in no rush to put your dog on/over equipment. They should emphasize shaping. They should emphasize a safe and controlled environment. They should emphasize the basics like off leash control, focus around distractions, handling on the flat and reinforcement for working closely with the handler before they even think about introducing you to obstacles.
How long do you think is long enough before equiptment is introduced? Obviously each dog is different, but as a general rule what is considered a good number of classes before a few pieces of equiptment are started?

This is a description of the first class we would take (it's pre-foundations)

Quote:
Pre-Agility is a prerequistive for Beginning Agility Foundation unless you have permission to skip this class by the instructor. We will be training attention, moving together, stays, recalls with distractions, body awareness, working off leash, working both sides, toy motivation, working with focus and games to build drive, all to build a relationship towards focus and safe agilty. Clicker training will be introduced and shaping behaviors will be taught. Special clickers will be provided. None of these exercises put stress on your puppyç—´ growing bone plates.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Top Dog

From the description, that sounds like a great intro to agility class! The classes where I used to teach had dogs running "courses" at the end of six weeks. That is a bad intro to agility class in my opinion.

Things I'd look for during the competition class. How well does the trainer adjust things for different dogs? Not necessarily changing the equipment, but discussing different handling/reward timing/types of rewards for different dogs in the classes. Not every dog is going to train the same, and my favorite trainers are the ones who are willing to work with the 'atypical' dogs, rather than those who try to make those dogs fit the standard.

How confident do the dogs and handlers seem with the exercises? Obviously being challenged is part of class, but you don't want to see incredibly frustrated handlers or dogs showing serious stress/displacement behaviors.

How safe does the equipment and flooring look? I'm becoming a footing snob the longer I do agility. Indoors is always hard, because I don't think there is any mat that is truly anti-slip, but you don't want to see dogs losing their footing constantly. I wouldn't train with metal jump cups at this point. Tunnels should have some sort of tunnel bags, and they shouldn't be blocking the entrances at all. Most places have rubberized contact equipment at this point, at least around here. If it is still wood/sand, is the wood solid, or do some of the strips have splinters? Do dogs seem to be slipping coming down the a-frame?

Old 04-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
From the description, that sounds like a great intro to agility class! The classes where I used to teach had dogs running "courses" at the end of six weeks. That is a bad intro to agility class in my opinion.

Things I'd look for during the competition class. How well does the trainer adjust things for different dogs? Not necessarily changing the equipment, but discussing different handling/reward timing/types of rewards for different dogs in the classes. Not every dog is going to train the same, and my favorite trainers are the ones who are willing to work with the 'atypical' dogs, rather than those who try to make those dogs fit the standard.

How confident do the dogs and handlers seem with the exercises? Obviously being challenged is part of class, but you don't want to see incredibly frustrated handlers or dogs showing serious stress/displacement behaviors.

How safe does the equipment and flooring look? I'm becoming a footing snob the longer I do agility. Indoors is always hard, because I don't think there is any mat that is truly anti-slip, but you don't want to see dogs losing their footing constantly. I wouldn't train with metal jump cups at this point. Tunnels should have some sort of tunnel bags, and they shouldn't be blocking the entrances at all. Most places have rubberized contact equipment at this point, at least around here. If it is still wood/sand, is the wood solid, or do some of the strips have splinters? Do dogs seem to be slipping coming down the a-frame?
All of this.

Big one for me: are the students (both dogs and handlers) having fun?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
We had USDAA this weekend, just needed that PI standard run so we could move up to PII. We got all the way to the table and I was feeling confident, secure in our chances at the Q. And then Zuma goes and pulls this craziness on me!!! Granted, I should've taken 3 steps towards the tunnel rather than just the one because it's not like I had to be anywhere else. Oh baby dogs.
Finally got a chance to watch......wow! I love it!
Old 04-30-2013, 10:08 PM
Sport Model Pug

I'm in love with the pug right now. She is a great little girly and we're doing so well as a team. Things are clicking (and my improved fitness and focus helps I'm sure).

We ran a standard from last year's AAC nationals at regional prep tonight. Izzie ran it in 52 seconds clean. Personal best for a course like that. No problem with weaves or contacts and she was driving like nobody's business.

**** I love this dog. She's making it harder for me to decide to drop her to 6" DD Vets or not for nationals as she's running so well at 10". We'll see.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug