Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Big Dog

Default Remmy

We are heading for a our second trial this year on the 4th and 5th of May. It is an outdoor trial so hoping for better weather than we have had the past few days. My sister will also have her dog, Mikey and we will be camping in our RV at the site of the trial.

I am taking Kris, my four month old Doberman pup with me just for the exposure and I can't leave her at home.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:58 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

YAY! Kimma got her NA title today! We are officially out of Novice. Now we get to hang out in Open for forever LOL. The ONLY thing that got us (and since it was Novice it didn't count against us or anything) was the dang weaves. UGH. She even stuck the entry but then stopped and sniffed!!!!!! BLAH. Next trial isn't for a month so we can work it. Our Open JWW run was actually really awesome except for the weaves (of course), and the fact that I misjudged a front cross (she was faster than I anticipated) and that made her take a random jump and drop a bar. But she was good and happy and fast out there today, and that's really the best <3

Loistava's Jari - 14 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 04-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Holy ballsy puppy Batman. I got out my mini a-frame to work on 2o2o with Payton. I have to disconnect the chains to get it to lay flat like a plank so I put P in a down-stay near the cookie jar thinking he would stay put. I had the a-frame out and it was low, but still probably three feet, while I was unhooking the chains.

And suddenly there is the Bad Baby Bro breaking his stay and climbing up the a-frame like he'd totally done this before.

I had a minor freak out because the dog is on the a-frame and he's not supposed to be and also a minor freak out because the dog is ON THE A-FRAME GET HIM A COOKIE.

Of course running to grab him a cookie was a bad idea because then he was like "=D =D THIS GETS ME A COOKIE LET'S DO IT AGAIN." fffffffffff.

Finally did get my a-frame dropped flat and we played on it. He is fine to do a 2o2o if I'm in front of him but if I am next to him he thinks we are doing some kind of heeling game and if I try to move to move in front of him (to reward him from multiple positions while he stays) he tries to pivot with me. Uh. I'm hoping that will stop as he figures out more what I'm asking for?

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-20-2013, 09:16 PM
Top Dog

I found a ton of agility equipment on Craigslist, about 2 hours from me, for a fantastic price.

I do not have a vehicle that can carry 12 foot boards. I am *this* close to renting a moving truck to drive up to the Pennsylvania state line and back to get the stuff. My husband would probably divorce me for being insane though...

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/grd/3729410447.html

Waaaaaaaah....I want a dog walk!
Old 04-20-2013, 09:47 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliterp07 View Post
i found a ton of agility equipment on craigslist, about 2 hours from me, for a fantastic price.

I do not have a vehicle that can carry 12 foot boards. I am *this* close to renting a moving truck to drive up to the pennsylvania state line and back to get the stuff. My husband would probably divorce me for being insane though...

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/grd/3729410447.html

waaaaaaaah....i want a dog walk!
do et!!
Old 04-20-2013, 09:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MericoX View Post
do et!!
It's a 2 hour drive (sans traffic) each way. I have a trial halfway there next weekend. If the stuff is still available, I may rent a giant SUV for the trial and go pick up the stuff "on the way home"...
Old 04-21-2013, 05:15 PM
I'm All Ears

Such an exhausting weekend. I'm tired and sore and totally sunburnt but I learned a TON and met a bunch of people from the other clubs. It was awesome! I've volunteered before but never for the entire trial, just a few hour blocks. I worked pretty much the whole thing and got to do all sorts of jobs instead of just replacing bars. The judge was super nice and informative about the venue, especially since most of us are new to it. It's also amazing now that I've been training there a year how many people and dogs I know. Our club did well and a lot of new dogs trialed for the first time and did great.

The girls did better than I expected camping out in their crates and settled nicely. They got quite a bit of time out too.

Also, the judge had a longhaired whippet. That was pretty awesome.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:52 PM
Top Dog

Yay! Glad you had a good weekend. I'm sure they were incredibly grateful for the help.

I had a slightly bizarre weekend with my dogs at the AKC trial. Gusto was actually about what I had expected, or maybe even better. Both of his standard runs were a little disjointed, with a few "Look I'm on the table! Why are you over at that jump?" moments and the like, but he never once really 'left' me, or got sniffy or stressed. He Q'd both days in jumpers, and today's jumpers run really had me grinning. For the first time outside of practice, I really got the feeling that we were running the course together, instead of me getting him to the obstacles one at a time. He was seeing the lines and reading my cues beautifully. Just a little glimpse of all the fun we are going to have as he gets more and more experience

Meg was a raving lunatic, and I spent more time laughing at her this weekend than anything else. She adores this venue. It is really nice artificial turf, and nice ring, great equipment. She gets in there and is beside herself with glee. My nine-year old grey faced agility champion, who has not NQ'd in about a year, came out for her first run practically vibrating. That double-leg bunny run as fast as she could, growling with each stride, butt tucked under her. I actually kept her on course for about half the course before she bolted past a tunnel and over the dogwalk to the finish, where she continued on and jumped the exit gate. She got cookies and cuddles and kisses and told she was a genius, because she is Meg and there are no rules for Meg.

Her jumpers run was only mildly more tame. I cued her to wrap a jump far too soon (Gusto timing, rather than Meg) and called her off it, at which point she spun around, play bowed at me, play bowed at the jump, and then continued on. She is the best dog ever, and I get all teary eyed at her joy. This is a dog who started life with so much fear and worry, and teaching her to play and be brave and joyful was actual work. She is making up for lost time, and taking me at my word that, once she had her ADCH, she never had to do anything she didn't want to again. All three of her crazy fool runs were heartwarming for me - a real celebration of what Meg has accomplished. She did pull it together enough for a slightly more controlled, clean jumpers run this afternoon. Maybe when she's 15 she'll come out like that earlier in the weekend - but secretly, I kind of hope not

Old 04-21-2013, 07:17 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

I've never worked a full day, either. I bet they loved having you help, Laurelin! The one time I did help out for my own club, I did ring crew for one course, leash runner for another, and finally score runner. I'm too scared to do timer/scribe/important things yet LOL. And I was EXHAUSTED just doing those three courses!

Awwww yay for Gusto and Meg!!! Sounds like a fantastic weekend

Kimma and I Q'd in Open JWW with a second place! I was shocked we Q'd and even MORE shocked that we placed LOL. We were SO CLOSE to getting another Q in Standard, but stupid me put in a front cross where Kimma was definitely going to fast for one, and I kind of tripped her up resulting in a refusal. Then her weaves were icky so she got another refusal. So if it weren't for me getting in her way with the jumps, we would have Q'd. Weaves are just totally a problem though and now we have a whole month to figure it out.

Loistava's Jari - 14 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 04-21-2013, 07:25 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkie_Mom View Post
I've never worked a full day, either. I bet they loved having you help, Laurelin! The one time I did help out for my own club, I did ring crew for one course, leash runner for another, and finally score runner. I'm too scared to do timer/scribe/important things yet LOL. And I was EXHAUSTED just doing those three courses!
I got to scribe for a few courses- standard and jumpers. I watched them scribe some of gamblers and snookers- that's a lot more complicated. And I timed gamblers, that's interesting. Ring crew of course setting bars up. And I did the gate too. Yesterday kind of sucked because they were switching rings after each game and we kept having to haul the tunnels and everything over there. Also my arms just BARELY manage to make it across the USDAA jump span.

I am SORE. lol