Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Top Dog

So doing Jumpers on its very own day worked out well for us! We had a really nice lead-out, and Lo was fast and into it. The judge came up to us afterwards and said we did really well, which is a huge boost for my confidence. Our very first Jumpers Q Now onto Snooker tomorrow.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I'm probably finally getting into a puppy class with Siri, which gets us one step closer to an agility class. That belongs in this thread, right?

Also, went to an ASCA trial today, I can't WAIT to get started with Siri so we can play too!!!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Top Dog

Congratulations to Lo! Best of luck in Snooker tomorrow!

Quote:
I'm probably finally getting into a puppy class with Siri, which gets us one step closer to an agility class. That belongs in this thread, right?
Totally I can't wait for Siri agility pictures!

Old 03-10-2013, 09:59 AM
I'm All Ears

Yay Lo!

Our distractions class was hilarious. I had no idea what to think going into it but it involves all the class trying to distract the dogs while they're running. We ended up milling about the course, dancing (eek) around the course, having things dropped/loud noises, sitting around the course, etc. It was a lot of fun and the instructor (haven't taken from her yet) is so so good. We got a lot of good feedback and a lot of individualizing for each dog. Some new ideas to help with Summer's crate barking too.

Summer actually did really nicely with all the distractions. She wasn't running as fast as usual, I noticed. She did leave me for the people sitting on the ground. I knew she would since people are about her biggest reward ever.

The entire class is Belgians and Aussies. Then the instructors dogs- BC, and belgians. Then a girl brought her BC puppy. Did not help the herding dog want.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Sport Model Pug

Izzie's doing awesome at class lately. She hates training at the barn as its deep dirt that tends to stick to her paws (itty bitty paws sink down in it a lot more than big paws) so I'm proud. She's nailing her weaves no problem and our handling is really growing together well. She's a good little girly and I'm glad I toughed it out with her.

AND only 3 more barn weeks until we're back outside!!!

Here's a photo of after class Izzie.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 03-13-2013, 09:26 AM
The Monster.

I had my first agility class since the summer last night. Coming off a 6+ month spell of no classes was, as expected, a little painful. But also a really nice relief. It's nice to get out there to run with your dog a bit.

Things that Cohen has decided over our period of absenteeism:

- The 11th and 12th weave poles are almost entirely optional
- It's faster to jump through jumps, not over them (thanks flyball!)

Things that pleasantly surprised me:

- Her directionals are actually coming along pretty well.
- Her speed and forward focus have improved greatly (thanks flyball!)
- I was actually able to incorporate a toy as a reward (more as a bridge than an actual reward, but I'll take what I can get!)

My new instructor says that she's going to focus on me running a bit straighter and smoother. Apparently I step into Cohen's path a lot over the course. I don't know if it's because I feel like I constantly need to flag her down, if I have terrible balance, or if it's a vestigial handling quirk I picked up somewhere along the way.

I'd been holding off on using this new instructor since she teaches Mecklenberg and up until now I'd been taught Derrett, but the facility I was using previously just wasn't up to snuff (slick floors, small space). I think I'm going to just try to go with the flow since I'm still so new to everything and see how the new system works with Cohen.

Anyways, that's my first class round up! Looking forward to getting back into agility over the summer!

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 03-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
I'd been holding off on using this new instructor since she teaches Mecklenberg and up until now I'd been taught Derrett, but the facility I was using previously just wasn't up to snuff (slick floors, small space). I think I'm going to just try to go with the flow since I'm still so new to everything and see how the new system works with Cohen.

Anyways, that's my first class round up! Looking forward to getting back into agility over the summer!
My advice is try not to get too hung up on "systems". Do what works for you and your dog and what gets the best out of you guys as a team. If you mix systems or make up your own the agility gods won't strike you down, I promise.

Learn what handling works for you and how to read and walk a course and plan your path and you'll do great and won't have the stress of "Zomg must follow the SYSTEM!"

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 03-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Glutton for Crazy

We start foundations with B tonight.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Top Dog

Recon has class tonight and I'm looking forward to it. He did great last week. And we are already planning dates for his first trial. XD

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 03-13-2013, 10:51 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
We start foundations with B tonight.

Everybody cross your fingers that there is an opening in the Puppy Agility class I want to take. She has to be younger than 5 months before the start date of the class. It's a class that is ongoing, so there only comes an opening if someone drops it. We have less than a month to get in. Stress!

Nice thing though is if she gets in, she is in until she gets kicked out by the instructor to do foundations. All the other classes in the area have a 4-6 week long Puppy Agility class and then we are stuck with like...obedience until she can do foundations. Lamesauce.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.