Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-25-2013, 04:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
It is my understanding that the rule is, half the height between the elbow and ground under a year of age. Also goes lower the younger the pup and the large/heavier the breed. Which is why jump bumps are used for pups instead of jumps of any height.

Airn, nothing wrong with teaching solid foundations to pups, actually it is recommended. But there is a big difference in flatwork foundations and running sequences and piece work. Pups can learn impulse control, wicked recalls, shadow handling (heeling on both sides, at all speeds, walking, stopping, running etc) learning to run past obstacles and tunnel entrances without doing them is far more important at this age/stage than doing them. Plank work and developing a end contact criteria is also excellent. We also don't teach weaves to young puppies. Proofing recalls, stays and working during distractions, something as simple as tugging around other dogs or while other dogs are working. The hardest thing to do, is keeping your pup with you and focused on you in a distracting enviroment. We also want dogs/pups to look forward and not at us when doing agility, so a lot of work in put into teaching them to focus forward, it is called handler v.s task/obstacle focus. There is so much to train which can benefit a pup, regardless of whether you do agility for non competitive or with goals to compete.
I don't really consider anything black and white.. it depends on the dog. My breeder had no problem with him jumping occasionally and he loves sequences, so I'm not going to stop him. I ask him to jump a whole lot less than he does on his own, still. He's been working on foundations for 4 months, and has a perfect recall, great focus, 2o2o behaviors down, etc. It'd be silly not to start doing small sequences at this point, imo anyway. And I'm training with an AKC agility judge who knows a lot about pups and training, too, and she doesn't let us get too ahead of ourselves.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Top Dog

I took a "less is more" approach with Gusto's agility training early on, and I'm pleased with where we are at. It doesn't mean it is the only answer, but it certainly worked for us. We did a Performance Puppy class for a couple of months - restrained recalls, some circle work, targeting, tons of crate games, body awareness stuff. We did a few tunnels here and there, but he was probably close to 10 months before he saw anything jump-like other than a jump standard for working wraps. We did a bit of plank work, but he didn't see any actual contact stuff until about that age as well - and then mostly a teeter between two tables. Weaves at a year.

It amazes me how quickly the other stuff comes together. It's one of those things I always heard and agreed with and thought was mostly hooey Gusto is still such a baby dog - he's pretty wide on his turns, and occasionally gets frustrated and leaves to sniff, but I'm absurdly pleased with him. His first trial just left me hungry for more! He's going to his second trial at the end of February, and another in March. I just made reservations for a motel for regionals in July He'll still be a baby dog, but I want to go to the party anyway!

Old 01-25-2013, 05:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I took a "less is more" approach with Gusto's agility training early on, and I'm pleased with where we are at. It doesn't mean it is the only answer, but it certainly worked for us. We did a Performance Puppy class for a couple of months - restrained recalls, some circle work, targeting, tons of crate games, body awareness stuff. We did a few tunnels here and there, but he was probably close to 10 months before he saw anything jump-like other than a jump standard for working wraps. We did a bit of plank work, but he didn't see any actual contact stuff until about that age as well - and then mostly a teeter between two tables. Weaves at a year.
Sounds just like what I'm doing with Zinga! Bits and pieces, making sure they are thoroughly engrained before moving on. There is just soooo many different things to work on, I want to be sure I'm taking my time with it. Not only that but this is allowing me to go back and re-do some things with Zuma at the same time. Fantastic review for her!

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 01-25-2013, 05:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
He's going to his second trial at the end of February,
Is it possibly the same trial we're doing at the end of February? USDAA? If so it will be our second trial too
Old 01-25-2013, 06:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenoLo View Post
Is it possibly the same trial we're doing at the end of February? USDAA? If so it will be our second trial too
It is USDAA; we'll be in NH.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:

It amazes me how quickly the other stuff comes together. It's one of those things I always heard and agreed with and thought was mostly hooey Gusto is still such a baby dog - he's pretty wide on his turns, and occasionally gets frustrated and leaves to sniff, but I'm absurdly pleased with him. His first trial just left me hungry for more! He's going to his second trial at the end of February, and another in March. I just made reservations for a motel for regionals in July He'll still be a baby dog, but I want to go to the party anyway!
Gusto is so awesome your doing such a great job with him.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Sounds just like what I'm doing with Zinga! Bits and pieces, making sure they are thoroughly engrained before moving on. There is just soooo many different things to work on, I want to be sure I'm taking my time with it. Not only that but this is allowing me to go back and re-do some things with Zuma at the same time. Fantastic review for her!
Zinga and you as well, brillant

How do you like the Trkman's foundation course? As you know, I am doing her online puppy class now with Punky (first week). And then we'll progress to the foundations in the spring, plus my first lesson with Jess will be in 3 wks. Can't wait for her to meet my little brat and to get some feedback
Old 01-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
It is USDAA; we'll be in NH.
Oh bummer, ours is in MA. Maybe we'll run into you guys some day.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
Zinga and you as well, brillant

How do you like the Trkman's foundation course? As you know, I am doing her online puppy class now with Punky (first week). And then we'll progress to the foundations in the spring, plus my first lesson with Jess will be in 3 wks. Can't wait for her to meet my little brat and to get some feedback
We'll be in Trkman's foundations class together!! I'm planning on signing Payton up in the spring too. =>

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-25-2013, 07:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
We'll be in Trkman's foundations class together!! I'm planning on signing Payton up in the spring too. =>
Great!!! will be good to see a familiar face