Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-28-2012, 06:47 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Oh, I certainly don't think there is a thing wrong with using more verbal cues. I just know that when I watch people run and think "that's how I want to run", it is usually the quiet handlers.

Gusto was so spectacular at class tonight I'm still beaming. I've been really stressing over his teeter. It still isn't quite at full height (22" instead of 26"), but he was *running* to the end and clinging to the edge of the board on the way down, rather than tipping it before running to the end. The magic trick? Chicken McNuggets. Whatever it takes!

His weaves were also amazing - it was the first time I was really trusting him to get the entry - putting him in a tunnel, telling him "weave" and then leaving him alone to see what he did. Not only did he hit every single entry, but he only had one missed pole, where he was going so flipping fast he couldn't collect for pole 2.

I love my dog so, so much. I want to get that teeter up to full height and really nail down rear crosses so I feel comfortable sending out an entry for December!
Yeah I just kind of threw that in there for a general audience...I realize most people posting here already know what works for them/what they prefer I'm a quiet person on course meself.

Also YAY GUSTO I can't wait to see vid of this boy!

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 09-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Active Pup

My dogs are very important to me. I used some training books to guide me train them but I guess for those who really don't feel like it's for them, going to a professional trainer is a better option.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:27 PM
Top Dog

lol I don't have enough air or breath in me to call every obstacle, use them for discriminations mainly. Rest of the time I am trying to get air into me and run lmao. Anyway I also firmly believe that dogs follow body language over a verbal most of the time. If it has been presented and they haven't been told to turn, do it.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:29 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
lol I don't have enough air or breath in me to call every obstacle, use them for discriminations mainly. Rest of the time I am trying to get air into me and run lmao. Anyway I also firmly believe that dogs follow body language over a verbal most of the time. If it has been presented and they haven't been told to turn, do it.
They definitely do. Summer moved flawlessly from me calling everything (my old trainers were really... not great lol) to calling practically nothing. Of course we're back at just basics but she definitely didn't need me to yell 'jump' to know I want her to jump.

It's really interesting how much they can cue off of body position. If only I could get it right with Mia.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
They definitely do. Summer moved flawlessly from me calling everything (my old trainers were really... not great lol) to calling practically nothing. Of course we're back at just basics but she definitely didn't need me to yell 'jump' to know I want her to jump.

It's really interesting how much they can cue off of body position. If only I could get it right with Mia.
Anytime, one of my dogs or my students pulls off of an obstacle, we freeze (if we can) and you can often see what you did wrong i.e where your feet are pointing and therefore shoulders etc. Usually the dog was right and we are wrong
Old 09-30-2012, 11:36 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Oh jeez.... Kimma's first trial is in less than 2 weeks

Loistava's Jari - 17 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 10-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkie_Mom View Post
Oh jeez.... Kimma's first trial is in less than 2 weeks
Good luck!!!!

This morning Backup was learning his jumps and really doing well. Then I figured try the teeter, nails it, then the Aframe, running and slamming into a solid 2o2o, then he busts out 12weaves without prompting.

Dog apparently needs to progress in his own ways. LOL
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:35 PM
I'm All Ears

I was lazy this week and did no training at all for anything except for some mild recall stuff and then class tonight.

Things are going very well. We intro'd A-frames FINALLY and my girls nailed it from the get go. We did some combination stuff but nothing fancy. They nailed everything pretty much. Summer did have 'Teeter-suck' going on after we did the teeter. We were working front crosses on some jumps half the field away from the teeter. I set her up kind of diagonally and called her and BOOM! Jump and ran past me all the way and did a perfect teeter.

The main issues we're having are 1) My dogs are both about a zillion times faster than me. I... don't keep up well. I must try to work out more. 2) My dogs turn it ON well. I apparently suck at teaching dogs to settle. My dogs just don't settle. I know the breed in general is pretty excitable and high strung but still... It's not for lack of trying either. It's the main thing I've worked on with them forever. When we're doing the exercises they're spot on, fast, engaged, with me, etc. When we're waiting our turn, they don't settle much. Mia is settling a bit better in the plastic crate. I don't know if it's because it's smaller and darker. Summer is by far the loudest and most hyped up dog in the class. Go figure. We will keep working on it I guess.

But overall I have to brag and say my dogs are awesome. I love working with them more and more.

I forgot my camera guys. It's okay though, it's been dark and cloudy. I swear we went from burning up 8 o'clock practice to practicing in the dark. I had to wear a jacket today!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I was lazy this week and did no training at all for anything except for some mild recall stuff and then class tonight.

Things are going very well. We intro'd A-frames FINALLY and my girls nailed it from the get go. We did some combination stuff but nothing fancy. They nailed everything pretty much. Summer did have 'Teeter-suck' going on after we did the teeter. We were working front crosses on some jumps half the field away from the teeter. I set her up kind of diagonally and called her and BOOM! Jump and ran past me all the way and did a perfect teeter.

The main issues we're having are 1) My dogs are both about a zillion times faster than me. I... don't keep up well. I must try to work out more. 2) My dogs turn it ON well. I apparently suck at teaching dogs to settle. My dogs just don't settle. I know the breed in general is pretty excitable and high strung but still... It's not for lack of trying either. It's the main thing I've worked on with them forever. When we're doing the exercises they're spot on, fast, engaged, with me, etc. When we're waiting our turn, they don't settle much. Mia is settling a bit better in the plastic crate. I don't know if it's because it's smaller and darker. Summer is by far the loudest and most hyped up dog in the class. Go figure. We will keep working on it I guess.

But overall I have to brag and say my dogs are awesome. I love working with them more and more.

I forgot my camera guys. It's okay though, it's been dark and cloudy. I swear we went from burning up 8 o'clock practice to practicing in the dark. I had to wear a jacket today!
One thing that can help with dogs that have a hard time settling is to do perch work. Plus it is harder to work with two dogs in the same class esp if they are not settling. You could do perch work with one and toss rewards to the other one in the crate for also focusing on you and being quiet.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:24 PM
I'm All Ears

I've been trying to constantly reward for calm behavior in their crates. I see more improvement with Mia. The more I work Mia in front of Summer, the more Summer barks. Mia will bark once or twice when I grab Summer to work but Summer barks the entire time I work with Mia. I do work them at home with Summer in the crate and she's fine at home (much quieter than Mia!).