Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Top Dog

I like watching Backup's videos! Glad you two are having so much fun as well.

We finally drank the kool aid and started learning some aglity stuff at our private lesson on Tues. It was really fun!
Old 09-27-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm All Ears

I wish Mia's toy drive would translate out onto the agility field! She'll kind of meh chase the ball, which is totally the opposite of at the park or home. I think it is because she has more food drive and she's holding out on me....

Stays were GREAT. She broke maybe 3 or 4 times all night. And they were handling errors. She was SO MUCH BETTER!

Summer is cracking me up at how enthusiastic she is. I'm so glad I decided to train with her for fun even though she's old. She's a hoot and she's having a blast, which is the best part.

I'm going to try to remember to bring a camera next week. I was going to this week but was running late and forgot.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:37 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I wish Mia's toy drive would translate out onto the agility field! She'll kind of meh chase the ball, which is totally the opposite of at the park or home. I think it is because she has more food drive and she's holding out on me....

Stays were GREAT. She broke maybe 3 or 4 times all night. And they were handling errors. She was SO MUCH BETTER!

Summer is cracking me up at how enthusiastic she is. I'm so glad I decided to train with her for fun even though she's old. She's a hoot and she's having a blast, which is the best part.

I'm going to try to remember to bring a camera next week. I was going to this week but was running late and forgot.
Hurray Mia!

Also: NO MORE CALLING SUMMER OLD!!!

Hmph.

Glad you're having a blast. Can't wait to see vid next week!

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Monster Monkey, b. Dec'13
Old 09-27-2012, 08:50 PM
I'm All Ears

It's so funny because Summer is the one getting the attention for being so 'fast'. lol She was never SLOW but I did not have to run full out to keep up with her with the old training methods. She's really kicked it into high gear now.

Unfortunately she's also the most obnoxious dog in the class. BARK BARK BARK BARK every time some other dog gets to go. Zoomies like crazy. She went ballistic her first exercise today. Just RUNNING and jumping all over everything. I will admit, it made me grin from ear to ear and probably shouldn't have. I love my not so old dog.

Mia looks so sensible.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Unfortunately she's also the most obnoxious dog in the class. BARK BARK BARK BARK every time some other dog gets to go. Zoomies like crazy. She went ballistic her first exercise today. Just RUNNING and jumping all over everything. I will admit, it made me grin from ear to ear and probably shouldn't have. I love my not so old dog.
I love Summer so, so much. Her also-not-old Mountain Cur counterpart gets away with such behavior at trials now, because it makes me so happy to see Meg get "wild".

I was so excited to have actual video to share from Gusto's lesson a few weeks ago - someone sent me the DVD that I hadn't even realized they were making. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to get it to work. It might not have anything on it. Or I'm an idiot. Or both.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:04 PM
I'm All Ears

I just love seeing them having a good time. It helps me to remember that's what it's really all about.

And I love Meg and Gusto so much too. Some good dogs there.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:07 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I love Summer so, so much. Her also-not-old Mountain Cur counterpart gets away with such behavior at trials now, because it makes me so happy to see Meg get "wild".
Quote:
I just love seeing them having a good time. It helps me to remember that's what it's really all about.
Can't tell you how much I would love to see Kim zoom around an agility course again. Wild eyes, wind in her ears. Would give just about anything for that. And she's not even old...

Live it up.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Monster Monkey, b. Dec'13
Old 09-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I was so excited to have actual video to share from Gusto's lesson a few weeks ago - someone sent me the DVD that I hadn't even realized they were making. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to get it to work. It might not have anything on it. Or I'm an idiot. Or both.
Make it work! We want to see Gusto in action!
Old 09-27-2012, 09:15 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

I really do love watching Backup... He's just SO in to it! I don't have much advice to give in the way of jump work as I'm definitely not an agility trainer, but I hope you find something that works for you both soon

Quote:
Quote:
HEY! YES! Videos from both of you pleeaaaasseee????

Loistava's Jari - 14 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 09-27-2012, 09:32 PM
I'm All Ears

One thing I have noticed is now that we're stringing together sequences (just 4 or so obstacles at once) my handling has reverted some back to what my old trainers had taught me. Especially my tendency to call every single obstacle. I went through one run with Summer saying 'jump! jump! tunnel! jump!' My trainer looked at me funny.

It is very interesting to me that this school doesn't call obstacles at all. Everything is just telling dogs to go out ahead or turn in to you (I'm sure it will get more complicated further in to it). My last trainer taught every obstacle by name.

I'm also not nearly as fast as my dogs. I need to work out. If my timing is not perfect with Mia, she's off course fast. I notice she's a lot more touchy than Summer is. If my body is not turned just the right way, she'll blow past what I want her to do.