Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Do you have a video to help explain that? I have used a table next to the aframe for a clients dog and just stopping the dog for Arnold (however i cant beat Backup in a race and i cant pressure him like that) but I've never used a jump and would love to try it. The turning around is a concern of mine even though thus far he's never spun if I asked for "climb it" or just moved with him.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:30 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

So Kimma's weaves have been SLOWWW in class. I'm not sure if it's because we just started doing full courses and she's overwhelmed or what. So I finally was able to get some of my weaves to stick in the ground and I got some video of our going back to 6 in the hopes of getting faster/more confident entries and more speed overall.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Gnz0vYSrE

I don't want to stay with 6 for long at all, so I'm hoping to build 12 in the next few days. A few of my stick in the grounds are all broken (the soil here is SO ROCKY) and I hate that they never quite end up straight even with the guide thing I have - so building new ones is my goal LOL.

Any tips/comments?

Loistava's Jari - 14 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 07-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

So I'm back on the agility horse again. Keeva is enrolled in classes and doing fabulously. Last class we worked a ton of handling skills and I love that stuff. Helps that I have a great partner!

At home, I'm really focusing on 2x2 weaves with both girls. Right now we're just working "around the clock" to perfect that entry. Both dogs can go just beyond head on to the first pole, enter correctly, and wrap the second pole. Yay!

Anyway, a question for those more experienced: Our instructor was having us work on non-verbally communicating to our dogs whether they were going to extend into the "jump" (ok, so it's like 4" for Keeva, LOL) or collect and wrap. She says she prefers the dog to read that from your motion rather than a verbal, as she likes to save her verbal commands and use them sparingly. I have starting teaching Keeva to wrap on a verbal cue, and was planning on using this from jumping. What are your thoughts on the pros and cons of verbal or non-verbal cues for wrapping/collecting?

ETA: And yeah, I know, I seriously owe some video on this thread, but right now I'm literally wearing what could be described as a wife-beater and sweatpant shorts, soooo... probably not tonight. LMAO

Old 07-15-2012, 08:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
What are your thoughts on the pros and cons of verbal or non-verbal cues for wrapping/collecting?
I'm teaching Gusto as much as humanely possible off non-verbal, because I'm pretty sure I'm not going to have enough breath to speak once that boy gets cooking on course

I'm going to a camp next month where one of the instructors does a super job cuing collection/extension off physical cues. I'm excited! And will thus probably have a better answer in a month.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:14 PM
I'm All Ears

Agility is going fantastic lately. Summer's foundation class wraps up next week and we're all taking a month break. Im super sad about that but it's just too hot without an indoor training ring. It was 106 last week when we got there. They have a small training room but not big enough for any real agility work.

Both Mia and Summer will be on break for a month and I'm going to really work things at home. I just spent quite a bit on Clean Run buying some new jumps and contacts.

Today Summer started out class like she was on crack. I don't know what possessed my good little dog but she was everywhere all the time. Once she settled, she did fabulous. We're introducing the dogs to the tunnel in that class. She did it well. I always feel like I'm cheating because the other dogs are totally green and Summer is not (I didn't fess up though. Makes my dog look pretty awesome though lol) We did some sequencing of foundation work, and she rocked. Stays were awesome. My biggest problem is she is in LOVE with the instructor and wants to be in her lap all the time.

Mia is rocking on! The foundation work is coming into application beautifully for all the dogs. We've started throwing some things in that they haven't seen and they're all getting it first go around. Adding distance has been the big thing. I'm really seriously impressed with the other dogs in her class too. I should have brought a video camera so you could see these dogs' first time with distance. They're all awesome. I may try to get video next week. She's still sometimes cheating her start lines <--- bane of my existence.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Puppy Dog

I just want to celebrate a little! Weaves were SUCH a struggle for Dahlia and I. Once we got to 4 and then tried 6 it just fell apart. Well, she's FINALLY getting it. This past weekend we did a "speed circle" with weaves (6 poles). So around in a circle it was tunnel, weaves, jump, weaves, jump weaves. Each time we went around it she NAILED the entrance and the poles and did them fast. I was so proud of my girl.

Along with that, I thought I'd share her first, somewhat hesitant video of ever doing 12 poles. Yes she's SO SLOW here. But she is starting to speed up on her 12's. This was, literally, the first time ever she did 12. I just happened to get it on video thanks to a friend of mine!

I suggest watching it on mute because my "yes!" at the end is wicked loud and annoying.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crysania4/7576696782/
Old 08-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
What are your thoughts on the pros and cons of verbal or non-verbal cues for wrapping/collecting?
I'm not sure about pros vs. cons, but I'm big into training my dog to do most everything through body language (in fact, one judge asked if my dog were deaf...oops).

I think dogs read body language better than they hear verbal language and so showing the motion forward vs. the body coming up and indicating collection is better for me. It works very well with Dahlia and she wraps jumps beautifully without a word.

I also like it better because I don't want to have to remember a ton of verbal commands and I think that could quickly get confusing. I have verbal things so far only for "touch" (2on/2off) and I'm working for one on teeter in an attempt to stop Dahlia's crazy teeter behavior (first time she sees it she runs up it like it's the dog walk and then it freaks her out so I figure if she learns that teeter means "the thing that moves and I have to rock back to keep my balance" she might do it better the first time). But otherwise I'm mostly non-verbal (except the occasional "yes!" or "GO GO GO GO!!").
Old 08-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysania View Post
Along with that, I thought I'd share her first, somewhat hesitant video of ever doing 12 poles. Yes she's SO SLOW here. But she is starting to speed up on her 12's. This was, literally, the first time ever she did 12. I just happened to get it on video thanks to a friend of mine!
Good job! It's such a blast watching them once they get the idea of what weaving is all about. I'm in the middle of training 2x2s with Pan right now, still on the 4 pole stage though.

The other day I took my old man out for an agility play. It makes me sad that he was my training guinea pig. He is so smart and would be an amazing dog if I could start all over with him now. Here's a pic of him weaving at 12 years old.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Puppy Dog

It's VERY exciting when they just get it. Dahlia has decided the weaves are awesome fun (especially sets of 6) and just flies through them, one-stepping it all the way (instead of the two-stepping you saw in that video). It's such an amazing thing to me because weaving is so NOT natural for dogs to do and yet she does it!

This was my favourite weaving picture I have of her (taken by my partner this summer).

Old 08-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysania View Post
I think dogs read body language better than they hear verbal language and so showing the motion forward vs. the body coming up and indicating collection is better for me. It works very well with Dahlia and she wraps jumps beautifully without a word.
This is so true. I was recently at an agility seminar with an awesome trainer (Jessica Martin) and she was saying that the vast majority of the time, even if you think the dog is responding to a verbal, they are actually responding to body language. I do think it's worth training both though, the more info you can give to the dog about where they're going next the better.