Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-17-2012, 08:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Harleigh looks great!

Here is Backup tonight, we're making some improvements. Hopefully we can carry this over to other locations. He may be starting to grasp this... may... lol

http://youtu.be/ScsrjIZ9AnU
Looks good! Have you tried throwing the reward ahead of him? Helps shape the lowered head through the weaves, resulting in quicker weaves overall.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 06-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I haven't because he has issues with possession so training goes much faster if I keep the reward (tug) right with me. However, when I was using food I always threw it. If I can get some consistency I'll start throwing and accept the extra time it takes for him to circle before returning.

I'm also trying to work on the possession but it's been a trial and error issue. :/
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Everyone look under your pillows for gold pieces. The impossible may just be possible.

http://youtu.be/8Rs2q3-4V9U

Old 06-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Everyone look under your pillows for gold pieces. The impossible may just be possible.

Aw, see, he wants to be a good boy, his lemur brain just has to figure out what you want! I can't wait to see him tear up a course.

Off topic a bit, but Nathan took this picture of Pan the other day....it's her lemur impression, lol.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Top Dog

Quote:

Woooooohooooooo!!!!

Old 06-18-2012, 10:13 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerotti View Post
Aw, see, he wants to be a good boy, his lemur brain just has to figure out what you want! I can't wait to see him tear up a course.

Off topic a bit, but Nathan took this picture of Pan the other day....it's her lemur impression, lol.

omg... that is a great lemur impression LOL

I took this this morning.

Now, it's for my own knowledge since I've been training by myself a lot lately. No one seems to understand Backup and honestly a lot of people I train with don't like him. (sad face) I have a great trainer at my work who's helped me a lot with my handling of Sloan but she has told me honestly, and fairly, Backup is over her head. My other trainer usually just gets annoyed and drops hints about getting a border collie.

I have two supportive friends I train with but one is out of the country and the other is working double shifts at the animal hosp lately.

So... I learned in this video I need to be a lot faster with my directions, Sloan is so much more forgiving and Arnold and the terriers were never fast enough to even sweat it with. Also I need to support him a lot more, he's got a much shorter commitment zone to obstacles than Sloan does. I have also learned I really need to slow him down and refocus him when he gets in his panic running.

http://youtu.be/XlymiOsY3WA

Sorry it's such a distance but it's my phone propped against the wall atop the obedience high jump standard. LOL

Needless to say... we're ready for worlds.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Top Dog

I honestly think he's going to be absolutely amazing in the future. I wish we could train together!

I noticed in the video that when he missed that last jump your feet and shoulders were pointing forward and he followed them. Then when you went back to do that jump and he got it the next 2 times, your feet and shoulders were pointing in the direction you wanted him to go (at the jump). You really will have your work cut out for you with this guy....he's fast and very responsive to your movements.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerotti View Post
I honestly think he's going to be absolutely amazing in the future. I wish we could train together!

I noticed in the video that when he missed that last jump your feet and shoulders were pointing forward and he followed them. Then when you went back to do that jump and he got it the next 2 times, your feet and shoulders were pointing in the direction you wanted him to go (at the jump). You really will have your work cut out for you with this guy....he's fast and very responsive to your movements.
Thank you! I am having a lot of fun finally with him and I think it is helping. Things aren't feeling as desolate anymore and I'm learning every time I step foot in the ring with him.

I rewatched the video with your advice and I totally see what you mean about my body direction, that helps a lot and I'll totally use that info.

He's very, very fast and doesn't think very clearly but I am noticing his thinking is getting clearer lately, slightly, like he can work for a tug now where as before the presence of a tug in agility just had him so flustered he couldn't possibly learn or perform. Fingers crossed things carry on the same way. He's a bit of a rollercoaster ride when it comes to training.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Top Dog

Yes on the being quicker thing! It's so tough when you have a fast baby dog that needs both the support and the speed, hard to find a good middle ground. Luckily though as he gains confidence you can concentrate more on the speed part and less on the supporting part and it gets easier!

Old 06-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Top Dog

Backup is looking really good! Definitely see a lot of improvement in him here. Some of the stuff you are struggling with here is pretty typical of inexperienced dogs and trying to work out the handling kinks. That stuff comes with time and practice, as does the better obstacle commitment. I think you're very much on the right track though!