Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-21-2012, 07:41 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkie_Mom View Post
We have a couple of weeks off and during that time, I'm doing no equipment training. I'm hoping that I can repair the "damage" I've caused by pushing her too hard
Unless she needs the break physically as well, I would just hold off on equipment til she's all jazzed up...like when you first get home after being gone a couple hours...and take her straight out and do a couple easy things with a lot of reward (social/toy if possible) and just make it really relaxed and all about being together and having fun...then stop before it's anything less than superduperfun. You don't even need to have any goals outside of go-baby-go. Don't think about it as repairing damage or building confidence or assigning yourself guilt...it's just going out for a Whirlwind Happy with your best friend in the whole wide world and life is glorious You want the very sight of agility equipment to mean good-excitement and jazzed-relaxation and a true joy response for your dog.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 05-22-2012, 05:48 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Unless she needs the break physically as well, I would just hold off on equipment til she's all jazzed up...like when you first get home after being gone a couple hours...and take her straight out and do a couple easy things with a lot of reward (social/toy if possible) and just make it really relaxed and all about being together and having fun...then stop before it's anything less than superduperfun. You don't even need to have any goals outside of go-baby-go. Don't think about it as repairing damage or building confidence or assigning yourself guilt...it's just going out for a Whirlwind Happy with your best friend in the whole wide world and life is glorious You want the very sight of agility equipment to mean good-excitement and jazzed-relaxation and a true joy response for your dog.
That's a great idea. I took that advice today and we just did some recall work and focus work while we went for one of her walks, while mixing in some heelwork stuff. And that is our training for the day. Tomorrow maybe we can do some one jump stuff.

Thanks, Shai and everyone else - that's all what I needed to hear, and the advice given is perfect. Makes me not feel like so much of a trainer/dog-owning failure hahaha.

Here's a video from class last night. My sister was able to snag part of a run on my phone. It starts right after a nice, fast serpentine (probably the only fast thing she did all night). It's all OK except for the super slow weaves and the part where she goes, "Tunnel???? What's that???"

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=881919224889

I can't be too hard on the pup. After pushing her too hard on Sunday and then taking her to a new class with a new instructor and new dogs, I should be glad she did anything LOL.

Loistava's Jari CGC - 18 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 06-05-2012, 06:51 AM
Top Dog

A new video of Savvy doing short sequences in the yard.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151022330960850
Old 06-05-2012, 08:51 AM
Top Dog

Savvy looks great!! Love his enthusiasm!
Old 06-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Savvy looks great!! Love his enthusiasm!
Thanks! I think I'm really starting to see how he is going to be as an agility dog. And I think that it means I really need to be a better handler LOL He has endless enthusiasm, such a fun dog to work with!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:24 PM
The Monster.

Here's a video of Cohen's most recent agility fun match. We've still got a long way to go of course, but she's come a long way already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoaUfAddX9Y

As always, it's my crappy handling that's holding us back. But her confidence on the field is really building nicely. Hope you enjoy the vid!

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 06-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Thanks! I think I'm really starting to see how he is going to be as an agility dog. And I think that it means I really need to be a better handler LOL He has endless enthusiasm, such a fun dog to work with!
How old is he again? He does look great and yeah, get ready for some running and fast handling!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
Here's a video of Cohen's most recent agility fun match. We've still got a long way to go of course, but she's come a long way already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoaUfAddX9Y

As always, it's my crappy handling that's holding us back. But her confidence on the field is really building nicely. Hope you enjoy the vid!
Nice! Where was the fun match?
Old 06-06-2012, 10:24 PM
I'm All Ears

Ugh, I've got to take Summer to get her evaluated and put in a class. I'm a little bit nervous that she won't remember much of anything as it's been two years. Okay, I'm really nervous she's going to make me look like a fool.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Ugh, I've got to take Summer to get her evaluated and put in a class. I'm a little bit nervous that she won't remember much of anything as it's been two years. Okay, I'm really nervous she's going to make me look like a fool.
At one point or another agility makes us all look like fools, it's part of the game!