Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-13-2014, 10:25 AM
I'm All Ears

I was trying to take video of Summer's weaves but uh.... technical difficulties. My camera battery ran out. Then my phone ran out of space. The little video I did get was aimed so all you could see was me and Summer was cut out of it.

So yeah....maybe next time.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:41 AM
The Monster.

I can't remember if I posted this video to this thread. Here's Cohen weaving! Yay weaves!

My instructor attended the Ontario Regionals East competition last weekend and I'm going to Ontario West next weekend, so I was picking her brain about what she saw. She warned us of some pretty tricky weave entries and tried to challenge us in class. I'm soooooooooo pleased with Cohen's entries. Even taking a jump and doing a 180 she's able to find her entry every time. When she's fresh and well rested she's hella speedy too. We still suffer from the 10th pole popout issues and I kind of have to babysit the end of the object, but I really, really love the weaves. It's such a cool obstacle.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 06-13-2014, 02:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I think her weaves look spectacular for how long she's been at it! Believe it or not () plenty of dogs had fast, reliable, independent weaves before 2x2 was invented, and plenty still learn them other ways. I have seen spectacular poles trained using 2x2 - and trained using gates, and using wires, and using luring, and using channels, and using weave-a-matics.

Meg's were trained by shaping/luring with a heavy lean towards luring. Gusto's were pretty much exclusively shaped. Meg's weaves were incredibly reliable in a trial setting, and plenty fast enough for our goals. Gusto's dealing with some stress issues right now, so I'm not ready to judge how happy I am with his poles in a trial setting, but I don't think it has a thing to do with how they were trained.
That's good to hear! I was kind of feeling like, if what we're doing is working, we might as well stick with it, so that's what I think we'll do.

Quote:
Holy crap, Onyx really is the best dog. Those weaves look amazing. And I can't believe that you did it via luring.
Thank you! Means a lot, since Cohen also seems like the best dog I did fade the lure pretty quick. She caught on so fast it surprised me too, a lot faster than any of the other dogs in the class. She really seems to love agility a lot, it will be fun to see where we can go with this!

Although classes are 2 1/2 hrs drive (one way), so I don't know how long we'll be able to keep going, it's a lot of gas money and time.

What are everyone's favourite online agility classes?
Old 06-13-2014, 03:01 PM
Vizsla mom

You guys and your agility training. So jealous. I haven't done agility since June 2nd. Dying a little on the inside.
Online courses-
Silvia Trkman is pretty obvious place to start
I am taking the impulse control class through Fenzi right now& adore it. They do have foundations classes. About the same cost as a Trkman course.

Then there are some trainers like Jess Martin, Justine Davenport, etc.. who are all pretty good& offer online courses!
Old 06-13-2014, 03:15 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenay View Post
That's good to hear! I was kind of feeling like, if what we're doing is working, we might as well stick with it, so that's what I think we'll do.

Thank you! Means a lot, since Cohen also seems like the best dog I did fade the lure pretty quick. She caught on so fast it surprised me too, a lot faster than any of the other dogs in the class. She really seems to love agility a lot, it will be fun to see where we can go with this!

Although classes are 2 1/2 hrs drive (one way), so I don't know how long we'll be able to keep going, it's a lot of gas money and time.

What are everyone's favourite online agility classes?
Where are you located if you don't mind me asking?

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 06-13-2014, 03:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
Where are you located if you don't mind me asking?
I'm in the West Kootenays, I'm taking classes with Jeanne Shaw outside of Nelson, but I live waaay in the boonies up the lake so it's a bit of a drive
Old 06-14-2014, 07:01 PM
<----Thanks Allie

2 new jumps. Seriously LOVE CL!!!

Old 06-16-2014, 05:22 PM
Top Dog

I've spent the last 24 hours mulling agility life over in my head.

Our trial this weekend was eye opening. Meg, of course, was a star. She is so sound and happy still, it makes my heart sing. People stop to pet her when she's walking around and comment on how much they love to watch her run, and how they've been watching her for years, and it makes me all happy weepy. She only ran one class a day, but added two more PIII standard Qs and another PIII jumpers Q to her resume.

Gusto was heartbreaking. His skill set is there. His obstacle skills and handling skills are good. He ran two of his three PIII standard courses completely clean; the third was during a torrential downpour, and was clean until he got to the table, where he downed for 3 seconds and then said that it was stupid to lay in the rain. I missed some serious non-equipment related foundation stuff with him though, because it was never taught to me, and we are really feeling it now. He simply doesn't know how to perform with the pressure of a trial, and is slow and worried and shut down. He was over time in both of those clean runs. He is not a dog for whom speed should be an issue.

He got his cookies and his walk and then went back in his crate while I had a bit of a meltdown. I am very lucky to have good friends in the agility world who know how to offer support.

We are taking a break from agility for a few weeks while I get my head around things. I have two private lessons set up already in July, with two different trainers who I hope will help me decide what, if anything I should have as a game plan. Or he may just be a dog who isn't going to be an agility dog. I'm trying to make myself okay with that.

I'm mad at myself for not knowing more sooner. I'm upset that with all the work I have put into this, I missed such huge things. This is why agility people scream to the skies at everyone who "just wants to do agility for fun so any trainer will do!", because there is so so much more to it than just teaching obstacles and handling.

I bought videos for a few of the classes, so I will have those probably tomorrow.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:23 PM
& the Muttly Crew

"Agility"? What is this "agility" thing you all speak of? I seem to remember something about PVC and yellow paint being important but it's been so long that it's getting kind of hazy.......

*agility withdraw*

Haven't ran my own dog in competition since um...March? February? Ack.

That said doing some very very basic fundamentals with Lodin is a lot of fun. And I've been taking Da Webby with me to rotate off and he is *loving* playing the game even when it's just for practice and fun. Makes me happy to see him happy. May start taking Kim too since she's been so sound and just keep everything low for her and see how it goes. Good warmups and cooldowns for everyone of course.

But jeez I miss competing with my Cheese... heck I just miss my Cheese altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I've spent the last 24 hours mulling agility life over in my head.

Our trial this weekend was eye opening. Meg, of course, was a star. She is so sound and happy still, it makes my heart sing. People stop to pet her when she's walking around and comment on how much they love to watch her run, and how they've been watching her for years, and it makes me all happy weepy. She only ran one class a day, but added two more PIII standard Qs and another PIII jumpers Q to her resume.

Gusto was heartbreaking. His skill set is there. His obstacle skills and handling skills are good. He ran two of his three PIII standard courses completely clean; the third was during a torrential downpour, and was clean until he got to the table, where he downed for 3 seconds and then said that it was stupid to lay in the rain. I missed some serious non-equipment related foundation stuff with him though, because it was never taught to me, and we are really feeling it now. He simply doesn't know how to perform with the pressure of a trial, and is slow and worried and shut down. He was over time in both of those clean runs. He is not a dog for whom speed should be an issue.

He got his cookies and his walk and then went back in his crate while I had a bit of a meltdown. I am very lucky to have good friends in the agility world who know how to offer support.

We are taking a break from agility for a few weeks while I get my head around things. I have two private lessons set up already in July, with two different trainers who I hope will help me decide what, if anything I should have as a game plan. Or he may just be a dog who isn't going to be an agility dog. I'm trying to make myself okay with that.

I'm mad at myself for not knowing more sooner. I'm upset that with all the work I have put into this, I missed such huge things. This is why agility people scream to the skies at everyone who "just wants to do agility for fun so any trainer will do!", because there is so so much more to it than just teaching obstacles and handling.

I bought videos for a few of the classes, so I will have those probably tomorrow.
I don't know if it's any consolation at all or if I've already told this story but that was Webby for a while. He wasn't over time but despite knowing his job he just didn't want to be there and during his Novice/Open/Excellent titling it felt like I was forcing him to do something he didn't want to do and desperately cheerleading him on. He was always under time but he never really ran. His favorite obstacle was the table because he didn't have to do anything. And any time the course looped around toward the exit he swung really wide hoping that maybe we could leave early.

After his Excellent titles I retired him. Basically decided that if he was that miserable it wasn't fair to keep running him and maybe he just wasn't cut out for competition. He was fine in practice but trials were just too much and he shut down.

After a year "off" (just practicing...running a course setups the first time through so I could get a feel for them before running the girls, that sort of thing...playing games and just goofing around) I entered him at our "home" trial just one day for kicks. And he was relaxed and happy and ran and bounces and earned a QQ and even placed and was way under time. And...he stayed that way and still loves it. I'm not sure what changed his mind...the break, the drive building/bridge work we did, watching the girls run all the time and not getting to do it himself, or just my shift in attitude but I never would have thought he'd have gotten as far as he did, place as often as he did, end up in a runoff for first place...

I do think in some ways second dogs are the hardest because our goals and expectations are higher for them even when we try not to let it affect us, but at the same time they are different from our first dogs and not always in the ways we expect. I know Gus is special to you and you will adore him whether he's your agility partner or hiking buddy or housepet, but there really is hope.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 06-16-2014, 07:08 PM
Silence, peasants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
That said doing some very very basic fundamentals with Lodin is a lot of fun. And I've been taking Da Webby with me to rotate off and he is *loving* playing the game even when it's just for practice and fun. Makes me happy to see him happy. May start taking Kim too since she's been so sound and just keep everything low for her and see how it goes. Good warmups and cooldowns for everyone of course.
What, get that boy on a full height teeter, stat. And weaving, good grief, Feist was weaving at 3 months old. Border collie newb.

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle