Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-04-2014, 01:28 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Ditto Sekah on reinforcing it. Auggie had a great startline stay, he doesn't now because I stopped using it - he drove faster if I ran with him. =P It's not really an issue with him, so rarely did I do lead outs - even if he gets up and starts to break I'm so much faster than he is that I can get where I need to be anyway.

Payton's is a constant work in progress (surprise!) but he was really great at our last trial weekend. Part of our overall continuing self-control work.

Georgie has a pretty good one, but she will stand up and shake off as a stress response, but she won't actually move forward or try to break the plane of the obstacle. I'm thinking about just leaving her in a stand rather than asking for a sit to try and reduce the stress, but she probably just needs more work reinforcing it. Something to get on my mom about I guess.

I see a lot of dogs who are "creepy" at the line... they'll move just slightly whenever the handler isn't looking, so slightly the handler might not even notice, but they get their butt just a little bit closer. And of course a lot of dogs where the handlers have to be really REALLY careful to not move too suddenly or make any noise or the dog will break. I think it's a thing that not a lot of people care a whole lot about, honestly. They would rather the dog not drop bars, get their weave poles, hit their target, et cetera, than push too much for a dog who doesn't move a whisker at the startline. I admit it's not super important for me either, except in the case of Payton where we have a major self-control issue anyway and I feel like I really need to reward and value self-control in him at any possible place.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-04-2014, 10:44 PM
I'm All Ears

I am videoing Summer's weaves at home because she makes me look like a fool in class. I... don't know why she won't weave in class! I can't figure it out.

Other than that we were really good tonight. My trainer said Summer is really getting some speed on her. I quippedup 'For an ancient dog?' 'Well yes, especially for an ancient dog but she is just plain fast for her size.'

It was hotter than heck and humid but she did good.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:22 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I am videoing Summer's weaves at home because she makes me look like a fool in class. I... don't know why she won't weave in class! I can't figure it out.

Diesel is the same freaking way! I just don't know what to do! I'm going to a trial this weekend and I guess we will see what happens.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Have you tried teaching her to weave in other places? When Kili had a great 6 pole weave I started taking her to the local parks and schools with our 2x2's and working there. We only managed to go a few places before this cross country move but once we get settled again I'm going to be taking her out and about to work on her weaves. Maybe Summer just hasn't generalized well yet for the weaves?

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 06-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Rider's been a little down and out lately. I'm thinking he may be a bit bored from lack of exercise since our loss of a fabulous backyard when we moved and stressed from changes in routine with puppy home.

Sooo, we are taking an intermediate agility class. And I'm going back to stalk all of the drive building exercises you guys gave me a while ago.

I'm interested to see how it goes. We've been just messing around at the dog park occasionally and he just looks THRILLED when he's on the equipment, so I'm kind of excited. Maybe this will be a confidence builder and give him a push to be in a trial-type environment if he builds enough drive for the game!!

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 06-06-2014, 09:03 PM
I'm All Ears

Haha so tonight's trial was a bust. Two E's. Lmao. But a fun bust. And the photographer got some hilarious pictures of Summer old dog zoomies.

On a good note she did weave....on the run we'd already blown. Oh well. I had a blast.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:32 PM
Top Dog

Hey, the weaves are a big win!

My poor dogs are so out of practice. I mean, Meg doesn't care and it doesn't matter, because she refuses to practice anyway. But Gusto really needs it. I've been worrying so much about getting him fit for summer agility that I really haven't been doing agility. He's got muscles that feel like rocks, though!

I did drag two sets of 2x2s down to the green tonight though (only because I couldn't carry 3 sets) and did crazy things with four weave poles and was able to reward him with a chuck-it and new squeaky ball. He thought it was the best idea ever. Hopefully it won't be raining Tuesday and our club practice runs, so he can get on some real equipment. Our club's USDAA trial is next weekend - my only trial of the year where I can sleep at home! It's the little things in life.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:33 PM
I'm All Ears

I spoke too soon. We did an add on and Summer did her weaves first try! And everything else. So we ended up getting a q!
Old 06-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
I spoke too soon. We did an add on and Summer did her weaves first try! And everything else. So we ended up getting a q!
Whoo whoo!!

Steak & weaves with Payton is going really well. Getting him to hit some really hard entries, even though part of me thinks it's stupid and useless because I will NEVER ask my dog to hit an entry like that, but it's all part of the proofing process, so away we go. Today's big fun success was he knew there was a squirrel in the mulberry tree, but he did his weaves anyway, picked up the piece of steak I threw ahead, looped the back of the yard to bark at the squirrel, ran back around toward me with "Squirrel Intent" as they say, and I told him "go weave" aaaaaand he was beautiful.

Don't tell me you don't know what weave poles are you big fat lying dog.

Next week will be more weaves and some more playing on contact equipment, trying to brush up on a lot of stuff and rule it out more before our seminar. I'm hoping I don't put all this work into it, go to the seminar, then have a dog who's like LOLOL LOOK AT ME at the seminar and does NONE of his most recent trialing behaviors. That is not the idea. The idea is to take him and be like "Here is this dog. Let me show him to you." and get some help! For God's sakes HELP US.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-06-2014, 10:40 PM
Top Dog

Diesel got his first Q!