Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-27-2014, 09:06 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Georgie's OAJ runs:

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-27-2014, 09:43 PM
I'm All Ears

Georgie looks like a little bunny! She's so cute!

Here's a couple of Summers TDAA runs. I almost didn't post them because they were so bad. She runs slow in trials compared to practice. I am hoping this next trial she goes faster since she's had some practice time in that facility. She was really fast this sunday.

This is her first time running in this place. She wanted to see all the spots on the floor and also I'm pretty sure she thought the yellow cones were bowls. She had to go look inside them.

This one I call 'run around everything'. I really think the difference in equipment size was a big factor. She had never seen the teacup versions of everything.

Compared to practice speed:

Last edited by Laurelin; 05-27-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:47 PM
I'm All Ears

Also, does anyone have a veteran dog that you think jumps BETTER at a higher jump height? I really really think Summer does better at 8" vs 4".
Old 05-28-2014, 03:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Also, does anyone have a veteran dog that you think jumps BETTER at a higher jump height? I really really think Summer does better at 8" vs 4".
I know horses that are better at higher heights, but I don't think I know enough agility dogs to weigh in. Summer is TOO CUTE running.

Mimi had a chiropractic adjustment today. Pelvis was tilted, a vertebra out of alignment, and she needed work in her lower lumbar area and right stifle, which is what triggered the visit to begin with. She was moving a little 'twisty' through her back leg at the show this past weekend. I need to work on building up her muscle in her rear.. yay for new workout! Anyone have ideas? I taught her 'backup' today, she already regularly does 'sit up'.. chiro recommended sprints, particularly uphill work, and cavaletti work.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:39 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Overheard a discussion about this this weekend. Watching a dog who jumps 20" and apparently he was a total train wreck jumping 16", crashing bars all over the place. Jumps well at 20". Apparently in AKC you can do that at regular shows, but if you go to nationals or the invitational, you have to jump your designated jump height. Some discussion going on about if moving up in jump heights should be allowed at all.

I don't have any feelings on it. I have so much other crap to worry about that I really can't be fussed to give that much of a s#*! about what other people are doing with their dogs. If your dog is jumping in a manner that improves his safety and well-being at a higher than measured height, you should probably jump your dog at that height for his physical benefit... that's about all I can muster up to care on that one. =P

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog

Last edited by Beanie; 05-28-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:05 PM
I'm All Ears

I know in some venues now once you hit 'double digit veterans' (which Summer is now) you HAVE to jump down a height. So if I'm reading the rules right that means we would have to jump 4". I'm not sure how I feel about that to be honest...
Old 05-28-2014, 04:22 PM
I'm All Ears

Ok so... how many runs do we sign up for next trial? It's in 2 weeks. I want at least all 4 games. The standards just depend on the weaves, which she WAS doing on sunday in the building where the trial was held. BUT I'm not sure.... do I just do a couple standards?

The group package for the 9 runs total all 3 days is cheaper than buying 7 runs separately. So do I just buy all 9 then scratch if the weaves just aren't happening? I'd at least like to try 2 standard runs. And I'll be there all day anyways since games are first and last thing to run....

So I'm leaning towards 9 runs. Is that crazy considering I doubt we get the weaves on the standards?
Old 05-28-2014, 04:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I know in some venues now once you hit 'double digit veterans' (which Summer is now) you HAVE to jump down a height. So if I'm reading the rules right that means we would have to jump 4". I'm not sure how I feel about that to be honest...
I think it is incredibly stupid and yet another reason I don't even do our local NADAC trial. Meg would be required to go down a jump height there. While I don't think it would matter to her, as she doesn't seem to have any issues adjusting between heights (we train with a bunch of 12" dogs, and sometimes it is just easier to not adjust the jumps), I don't like being told I can't jump her at her measured height. She's fit and sound.

Quote:
The group package for the 9 runs total all 3 days is cheaper than buying 7 runs separately. So do I just buy all 9 then scratch if the weaves just aren't happening? I'd at least like to try 2 standard runs. And I'll be there all day anyways since games are first and last thing to run....
9 runs each day for 3 days, or 9 runs over 3 days?

I definitely think 9 runs over 3 days is fine. If it is cheaper as a package, I'd sign up for it and just keep an eye on my dog and scratch if needed.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:49 PM
I'm All Ears

Yes NADAC is the one I'm thinking of that requires you to bump down a height. Summer's not fast enough at trials for NADAC anyways. I don't get them though... they also don't add any extra time for veterans on non-jumping courses. Why would jumps matter whether an old dog needs extra time?

Though I have a lot of beef with how USDAA does veterans too.

I need to get her signed up for AKC. My goal is to do the next AKC trial and it is in September. We already have trials planned for June and July. Maybe take August off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
9 runs each day for 3 days, or 9 runs over 3 days?

I definitely think 9 runs over 3 days is fine. If it is cheaper as a package, I'd sign up for it and just keep an eye on my dog and scratch if needed.
One run Friday with a possible add-on game (TDAA sometimes adds a run at $5 a pop, which is awesome!), 4 runs Saturday, and 4 runs Sunday. Possible add on Saturday and Sunday as well. So could total 12 but the add ons are separate so I'd decide the day of.

She did 9 runs this last trial (5 Saturday and 4 sunday) and held up fine. But I don't think she'd do as well with 9 USDAA runs as teacup. These runs will be around 6 obstacles longer than the beginner runs though.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Though I have a lot of beef with how USDAA does veterans too.
I haven't really looked into it, although I'm about to do so. What issues have you run into?

I've been half thinking of running Meg in Veterans just so I can split up her and Gusto. I'm too old for running two dogs in the same height class! I only had 2 dogs between their standard runs this weekend. I moved them around after that, but it is kind of a pain.

But then I'm not sure I want to drop her down while she is doing well, either. Maybe I just need to toughen up. And speak up. Snooker is the only class where you really can't move your dog. I just hate being the pain in the neck person drawing all over the gate sheet.

Quote:
One run Friday with a possible add-on game (TDAA sometimes adds a run at $5 a pop, which is awesome!), 4 runs Saturday, and 4 runs Sunday. Possible add on Saturday and Sunday as well. So could total 12 but the add ons are separate so I'd decide the day of.
Shoot, I'd just sign up for them all. You know your dog, if she seems tired, you can pull her. I might even go into standard knowing you are going to work the weave poles (as long as they give you multiple chances at them - I don't know TDAA rules at all). Use it as a training run, take as much time as they will give you with the poles, and be ready to run out of the ring and jackpot the heck out of her if she gets them.