Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-14-2014, 03:29 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Payton looks awesome! And OMG Summer is just so fun to watch.

PROOF OF 6 WEAVES!

Still have to work some angles but the poles are straight and he's happy and engaged I will try them at work this weekend and see if we still have success... I'm hoping so, then we can work them in to our class courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriskai View Post
Mimi had class yesterday, she was a ton of fun and 110% engaged despite a couple off courses. Frankly, I'd rather her be overenthusiastic and go over an extra jump than slugging around because I redirected her. Wrong end of the tunnel once, jump suck once, but she hit all her weaves both times.
I totally know how you feel - I will gladly take some off happily done off courses than have either of my guys stressed

Loistava's Jari - 17 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 05-14-2014, 07:49 PM
I'm All Ears

Progress. We are making progress.

So this is going to be weird. But my trainer had a dream Sunday night about a method to use with Summer's weaves because she was NOT getting them any way we'd tried or any of our 3 former trainers had tried- 2x2s, guides, channels, WOMs, etc. So I decided what the hell, we will try the trainer's dream.

I started clicking and rewarding for her finding the third pole. She was finding the entrance and running through on the right side just fine before but seemed to think her job was finding the entrance and that was it. Then I actually lured her to find the third pole. Then I started clicking and treating when she'd find the third pole independently. And we were going so slowly. This is session #3 of trying this method.

I know everyone is very gung ho about 2x2s or doing super fast channels but omg I think she is getting it. Summer is the kind of dog that needs very obvious guidance when learning something then once she gets it tends to automatically go faster. I'm not hoping for super awesome weaves just enough weaves to get us through novice AKC and Int TDAA. lol

That was the only time we did it with the poles that straight the rest were open a bit more.

Oh and I CANNOT call it 'weave'. When I try to put weave to it she shuts down. :/ I think that cue got totally poisoned. I thought I was filming more of our session but the camera died.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:08 PM
Top Dog

We're on a weave pole kick here in training are we? I have weave poles to add. lol. They're from about 2 weeks ago... but we haven't done much since as Kili has been in season and decided that she doesn't do anything when in season (both convenient and simultaneously annoying!).

We've got entrances from just about all directions pretty consistently. I don't have another set of poles so probably will only be adding in more poles at class now unless I can get a straight set of 6.

I am jealous of those of you with less long dogs. lol. They just bounce right through there so nicely. Kili has major issues being speedy through the poles. I love how the little dogs just bounce so elegantly through.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 05-17-2014, 05:48 PM
Top Dog

Woot for trial today!

Jumpers first, she had a fantastic run! Missed the weaves the first time, but I'm not concerned about blown 6 pole sets right now. She was fast, happy and definitely loves the turf. Third Q, no faults and her NAJ! Moved up for tomorrow.

Standard run.. was pretty much controlled chaos. She had a ball, really dug in and got much more speed than I wanted/needed for the course. Consequently, we missed a couple jumps and had to circle back for them. A couple rough turns for a fast green dog, we didn't have any off course obstacles but enough 'run outs' to NQ. Even with going back to repeat multiple obstacles and redoing the weaves once, she still had the fastest time by 15 seconds. Yay for a happy Whippet! Also got to meet a Mudi, cool dog!

Old 05-17-2014, 06:06 PM
Top Dog

Congrats, Iriskai!!

Crossbone Q'd in all five runs today!! We've officially moved up to Level 3 in 5 out of the 7 games!

He was happy & focused and did his weaves first time every time! Woo. We're still working on speed in a trail setting--but I'm happy with how things are going

Old 05-17-2014, 08:05 PM
Silence, peasants.

The videos of Summer training are so adorable! She's rocking it!

First day playing with our tunnel-turn down volume, maximum screechy praise happening.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 05-18-2014, 09:59 AM
<----Thanks Allie

We did a demo yesterday. We haven't been in class very long so I wasn't looking for any type of clean run... I didn't care about obstacle discrimination. I just wanted no zoomies and no visiting outside the ring. And we got that AWESOMELY! Even when we "finished" our run and were walking back to the lead he stopped I sniff/look but called right back. There were dogs and people milling everywhere and the demo area was right in front of the DJ booth... Talk about too much stimulation.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:31 AM
Top Dog

Standard level two, first place Q with no faults.

I was very proud of this run, great contacts, no off courses, GREAT TEETER... And I was able to successfully execute a front cross, something I am terrible at due to glasses/balance issues. I fully expected him to blow the weaves once or twice. Totally my fault for not showing any decel after the jump, and he doesn't have a ton of practice with weaves in the middle of courses either.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 05-18-2014, 03:40 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

FINALLY got our first QQ! She is the first female in the breed and second ever in the breed to get one.

(That being said, her JWW was SUPER stressy and slow but ehhhhh we still got a Q out of the deal so I will let it slide)

Loistava's Jari - 17 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 05-18-2014, 10:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkie_Mom View Post
FINALLY got our first QQ! She is the first female in the breed and second ever in the breed to get one.
Congrats! I can imagine what a big deal that is for you. It's so great to be the first in something!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017