Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-01-2014, 11:35 PM
Top Dog

I'm at such a stalemate, I don't know what to do.

There are so few agility classes here that I can attend. I run into problems over and over with my work schedule. I look at one place, and they will have a beginner class on one day, and then intermediate on another, and advanced/drop in on another. I hate to start somewhere for just the beginner class and then not be able to continue with them.

I may be able to drop-in with Skye on Mondays at the agility place close by, but it is really only run-throughs, not very much working through problems or on one specific thing. Fiona is only 9.5 months and I want to introduce her to everything, and get some foundations done, but I don't want to go overboard. I am doing some stuff at home in the yard which is great. Cavelleti height jumps and sending to the tunnel and walking on logs on hikes, I'm pleased with that.

What do you guys think about a total-green, never trained an agility dog but capable of training behaviors person, training agility on her own through facility rentals? And youtube videos and DVDs/books . There are a few places here that rent out their agility rings, you pay like $15 for an hour and do whatever you want. I'm afraid I won't challenge myself enough, or prepare enough for certain things, but I guess there are pros/cons for every situation. Sigh.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:44 AM
I'm All Ears

I would totally do that if I were you.

I found a place Summer and I can go to practice for a fee on Thursdays. I'm excited for more ring time!
Old 05-02-2014, 01:55 PM
& the Muttly Crew

crazedACD -- Yeah that's pretty much what I did for a long time. And I still mostly train on my own, though not always.

If you have anyone you know who is more experienced and willing to split the ring rental with you and give you some pointers, that might be helpful too

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 05-02-2014, 02:48 PM
Silence, peasants.

That's what I'm doing/planning on doing. The classes that are conceivable to get to (an hour away) are all on bad days, and so we are on our own. I'm going to make some jumps soon and just bought a tunnel so we can work on the stuff from Silvia Trkman's foundation DVD. Should be interesting! If you ever want to, y'know, move closer to me, we can split ring rental costs hahhaha.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 05-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Top Dog

Still no blood. What do you guys think? Should I pull her? Or just hope she makes it through the weekend without discharge? I talked to my breeder last night and she said a lot of times the first heat may be a week or more from swelling to discharge. So now I'm not sure what to do.

Basically it'll suck if I pull her and then she goes another week without bleeding. It'll also kind of suck if I don't pull her tonight and I wake up tomorrow and she's bleeding.... She's supposed to have a fun match on the 17th too that now I'm not sure if she'll be able to go to either.

I'm just really not sure what to do. Whyyyy do I have an intact female? Why didn't I spay her already? (Rhetorical question... I made my decision and have mostly made peace with it, lol).

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 05-02-2014, 04:47 PM
<----Thanks Allie

CrazedACD- if I were in your position I would train on my own but also throw in private lessons as I could afford them. I find with most things there is a lot you can do on your own if you're resourceful, but nothing beats an expierenced eye to watch you and give pointers, advice, tips.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy View Post
Still no blood. What do you guys think? Should I pull her? Or just hope she makes it through the weekend without discharge? I talked to my breeder last night and she said a lot of times the first heat may be a week or more from swelling to discharge. So now I'm not sure what to do.

Basically it'll suck if I pull her and then she goes another week without bleeding. It'll also kind of suck if I don't pull her tonight and I wake up tomorrow and she's bleeding.... She's supposed to have a fun match on the 17th too that now I'm not sure if she'll be able to go to either.

I'm just really not sure what to do. Whyyyy do I have an intact female? Why didn't I spay her already? (Rhetorical question... I made my decision and have mostly made peace with it, lol).
Can you e-mail the trial secretary and ask them? Say she's obviously going into season and you're wondering at what point do they consider a dog "in season" enough to not be welcome at the trial? I think that's what I would probably do.

and then spay her right after LOL.
Seriously females are such a PITA!!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-02-2014, 05:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Can you e-mail the trial secretary and ask them? Say she's obviously going into season and you're wondering at what point do they consider a dog "in season" enough to not be welcome at the trial? I think that's what I would probably do.

and then spay her right after LOL.
Seriously females are such a PITA!!
It's hosted by my trainers but they weren't super clear when I asked. They basically said AAC has no official definition for "in heat". in fact, apparently there is heated debate about whether the rule should be changed to allow in season dogs. I assume if there is discharge she would get tossed. They know she has vulvar swelling and didn't say "you'll have to pull her". My breeder said not to pull any entries until I saw blood. Just confused because no one has a cut and dry, black and white answer for me. Lol. Which is unreasonable to expect and I don't really just... still grappling with the reality of it all.

I really wanted to leave her intact until she's about 4. That's about 4 heats. Not sure if I can handle that. Ha ha. I seriously don't know how folks do it. I guess it gets easier though.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:36 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy View Post
It's hosted by my trainers but they weren't super clear when I asked. They basically said AAC has no official definition for "in heat". in fact, apparently there is heated debate about whether the rule should be changed to allow in season dogs. I assume if there is discharge she would get tossed. They know she has vulvar swelling and didn't say "you'll have to pull her". My breeder said not to pull any entries until I saw blood. Just confused because no one has a cut and dry, black and white answer for me. Lol. Which is unreasonable to expect and I don't really just... still grappling with the reality of it all.
As long as she's not bleeding, flirting, flagging, etc. then generally it'll be fine.

But yeah any particular trial can be more particular about it, and people totally lose their heads over the issue.

Once I was sitting at a table at lunch at a trial and some person who knew the people I was eating with sat down and went nuts over the fact that CLEARLY the dog in front of her in the running order is in heat because HER PRECIOUS BOY would never leave her and run to the exit gate after a dog like that ever and she was just furious. In moments, her friends were also up in arms and ready to go on a bitch-in-heat witch hunt.

At which point I pointed out that it was actually my dog in front of her in line, and she had been spayed since she was five months old and had never experienced a heat cycle in her life (Kim).

Having seen this dog in other locations, I suspect she was just making excuses to her friends because he is reactive and poorly managed and that sort of behavior was not actually out of character for him at all.

But everyone is always eager to blame the bitch-in-heat, real or imagined.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 05-02-2014, 07:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
As long as she's not bleeding, flirting, flagging, etc. then generally it'll be fine.

But everyone is always eager to blame the bitch-in-heat, real or imagined.
Well I have seen zero behaviour change and my male (albeit neutered) hasn't really shown any indication that anything is amiss.

I'm willing to deal with people. This isn't the World's competition. And besides... I deal with that level of distraction due to every dog at a trial and every blade of grass and every person. Lol. If someone's dog's only distraction is a bitch coming into heat (not even really IN heat)... I say to them I'd take that any day! In fact I'd be jealous. They can try running MY dog! Lol

Hopefully I don't get lynched tomorrow!