Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriskai View Post
Hopefully I can get out to practice it tomorrow.. otherwise we may be spring boarding off the broad jump...
Soda 12-packs. No joke... that is what I lined up to make a "broad jump" in my basement. At 10pm the night before Payton's first trial LOL.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-09-2014, 06:37 AM
The Monster.

I had a wonderful class last night and just had to gush. My instructor is really working hard to challenge our abilities and I'm seeing some good progress. I'm quieting down my handling and learning not to push the accelerator so much, and Cohen is getting much better at handling turns in tighter spaces.

Lately her dogwalk/teeter performances have been lackluster so last night I opted to throw down a target on each of them. The difference was night and day. Fast, driven, straight, clean contacts with solid releases despite me running on ahead. I'm going to fall back to using a target for a little while to remind Cohen what contacts are all about. She got confused somewhere along the way, and I didn't pay it much mind until recently.

She was just on fire last night -- faster than I've seen her in a long time, and the courses were pretty twisty and turny.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 04-09-2014, 06:46 AM
Top Dog

Love Cohen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Soda 12-packs. No joke... that is what I lined up to make a "broad jump" in my basement. At 10pm the night before Payton's first trial LOL.
So... I busted out the white tray from the bird cage and propped one end up. It's white and slanted, sort of like a broad jump? Mimi offered to target it, stand on it, touch it with one foot, walk over it and do her contact behavior on it... All before asking her to do anything with it. Lol
Set up a little PVC bar 'jump' on top, mixed results. Finally broke apart some of the PVC weaves I'd tried to make forever ago, finally got her to jump it pretty consistently without the raised jump portion. I might be able to get out to the club and practice it tonight, or we might be using it this weekend as a launch pad.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:53 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriskai View Post
Love Cohen.

So... I busted out the white tray from the bird cage and propped one end up. It's white and slanted, sort of like a broad jump? Mimi offered to target it, stand on it, touch it with one foot, walk over it and do her contact behavior on it... All before asking her to do anything with it. Lol
Set up a little PVC bar 'jump' on top, mixed results. Finally broke apart some of the PVC weaves I'd tried to make forever ago, finally got her to jump it pretty consistently without the raised jump portion. I might be able to get out to the club and practice it tonight, or we might be using it this weekend as a launch pad.
What height class are you in? Some have the boards so close they almost look solid, others are more spaced out.

Worst case scenario, run hard past it and cue "jump" and hope for the best most dogs at a run will clear it when they are moving straight for it quickly. And then take the time to train the obstacle after

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 04-09-2014, 09:09 AM
Vizsla mom

Good luck to everyone with their first trials you will have so much fun!

I have another one in two weeks.. it is Penn's last chance to find her brain. If not, I'm going to probably pull her from the Jess Martin seminar and just be done. I'm defeated by the stressed out 22 month old Vizsla and I can't figure out how to fix her
Old 04-09-2014, 09:10 AM
Top Dog

Yay Cohen! Always nice when they're on fire. That extra little fuzzy feeling is necessary every once in awhile. Cohen is so awesome anyway.

It is official. I sent in registration and funds. Kili has an FEO on April 24. Might be a bit of a mess. It is outdoors in a ring Kili has never seen before... and I don't think I can get off work early enough to make it to drop in before hand to burn some energy. I might hike her on my lunch hour to blow off some steam so she's not super pent up. Then we have a true fun run on April 28 which is indoor where we have our drop in time... and we'll be able to do drop in a few hours before. 2 minutes in the ring in a trial setting. Perfect.

This might be a bit of a gong show. Oh well. lol

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 04-09-2014, 09:14 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yv0nne View Post
Good luck to everyone with their first trials you will have so much fun!

I have another one in two weeks.. it is Penn's last chance to find her brain. If not, I'm going to probably pull her from the Jess Martin seminar and just be done. I'm defeated by the stressed out 22 month old Vizsla and I can't figure out how to fix her
Don't give up. Just scale back. Most dogs aren't trialing at 22 months. A lot of dogs are training for over 2 years before their first trial. And there's a lot to be said for maturity. Get back to the fun runs and make your only expectation to have a good experience and have fun. Maybe take her to some trials where you don't even run her... just take her into that environment and tug and ask for focus behaviours.

I get how frustrating it is. Believe me. I have the QUEEN of distraction. These fun runs/FEOs are probably going to be a bust. My plan is to try to get her to show SOME focus, do a few things that I ask, tug a bit and just not be too stressed.

Keep your head up!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 04-09-2014, 09:20 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
What height class are you in? Some have the boards so close they almost look solid, others are more spaced out.

Worst case scenario, run hard past it and cue "jump" and hope for the best most dogs at a run will clear it when they are moving straight for it quickly. And then take the time to train the obstacle after
20" is my guess, we haven't officially measured. I'm thinking your idea is the current best option. I'll have to include "run like hell" in my mental walk through!

Old 04-09-2014, 09:22 AM
Vizsla mom

She's been going to trials since she was about 3 months old and we have done 2 fun runs but our closest fun runs/ trials are all 3+ hrs away. I won't be trailing her again after this one if I don't find any improvement. I just go with the BC anyway so figured she would do at least semi-okay but no. It's focus, focus, focus until she steps up to the start line then it is STRESS. RUN. REPEAT.

It is frustrating. She is brilliant at home and I am sure if she had a more competent handler, she would do well. She is Border Collie fast. Turns tight. Amazing mix of handler/ obstacle focus ..then we go away and nope. She just stress runs. And I can usually get out of my own way to just find the positives but just not today. I just want to not always be the bad dog aha

Wow. I am a Debbie Downer.. sorry! You are totally right. I think it's a combination of stellar performance except for when I want it and being so over winter!! A little sunshine and hiking with my red dog will for sure help this crappy attitude aha
Old 04-09-2014, 09:35 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yv0nne View Post
She's been going to trials since she was about 3 months old and we have done 2 fun runs but our closest fun runs/ trials are all 3+ hrs away. I won't be trailing her again after this one if I don't find any improvement. I just go with the BC anyway so figured she would do at least semi-okay but no. It's focus, focus, focus until she steps up to the start line then it is STRESS. RUN. REPEAT.

It is frustrating. She is brilliant at home and I am sure if she had a more competent handler, she would do well. She is Border Collie fast. Turns tight. Amazing mix of handler/ obstacle focus ..then we go away and nope. She just stress runs. And I can usually get out of my own way to just find the positives but just not today. I just want to not always be the bad dog aha

Wow. I am a Debbie Downer.. sorry! You are totally right. I think it's a combination of stellar performance except for when I want it and being so over winter!! A little sunshine and hiking with my red dog will for sure help this crappy attitude aha
What if you videoed her runs so you can see what she is doing well, and what needs improvement when you are at home, out of the moment and relaxed?