Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-05-2014, 10:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Auggie had a real blast just running for fun and it's the best thing in the world to run Auggie.
"Old" dogs are so grand. I refer to running Meg as "putting on my favorite sweatshirt". I work Gusto and get worried about doing this wrong or that wrong, or what is he doing, or this isn't what I pictured. And then I run Meg and it is all "Oh well, we never learned handling and you are always naughty about your contact criteria and it just makes me laugh" and everything is comfortable and happy and she gets cookies and hugs.

If I could find a way to replicate the attitude I have about running Meg and maintain it while I run Gusto, I bet 90% of our issues would go away.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:16 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Yeah, Auggie gets away with murder and I still walk out of the ring telling him he's perfect and the best dog in the world, hahaha. Missed your contact? Oh welly-well!

It's the curse of expectations I think. Payton has expectations. Georgie really doesn't, I have fun with her and when she does well I'm thrilled. I always see so much good in Georgie's runs. And Auggie of course, I no longer care if he does or doesn't Q, I'm just glad to have one more run with him. But poor Payton suffers from real expectations. If I just went back to "at least take SOME of the jumps I tell you, do your weaves, and don't pee on anything," I'd probably be a lot happier. ;P

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-06-2014, 10:21 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Don't judge us lol!!!! This was a bad day, but the only day I had a photographer and not our usual trainer!! And I was hungover.... And I was nearly 30 mins late for the class lol I just smiled seeing it as I never realised how happy Fred looked during all my flailing!!!

I'm pleased to say we can do better than this usually!!

http://youtu.be/KAtUm52srUg
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-06-2014, 03:10 PM
Top Dog

I waited ALL week for Sunday and Monday. My agility days. What an agonizing 6 days. Can't wait for the snow in my ackyard to melt so we can do some basics every day.

I love when Kili is the best dog in her class. I mean, it is absolutely insignificant because there are only 3 dogs total in the class and one is a very timid poodle who usually never breaks a trot. There's an Aussie the same age as Kili and they trade "best in class" back and forth depending on who decided to show up with a brain. Well, the Aussie really left his brain at home today and Kili was on her game so she was the best dog in class this week. Anyway, regardless of how meaningless it is, it still makes me happy when the little sighthound schools everyone else. Lol. We just don't talk about the days when she forgets her brain.

Tomorrow we're headed to drop in for a few hours. So much fun. I can't wait!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 04-06-2014, 04:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy View Post
Anyway, regardless of how meaningless it is, it still makes me happy when the little sighthound schools everyone else. Lol. We just don't talk about the days when she forgets her brain.
Glad I'm not the only one who feels like this! Mimi's in a class full of GSDs, a Pembroke and a Lab (and the instructor's BC, which she brings sometimes). It's always nice when a non-traditional breed gets the extra credit! Glad your class went well, I love seeing Kili videos!

Old 04-06-2014, 08:47 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Awww Dizzy he looks like he's having so much fun!!

LOL krissy - my old class was Kimma and like 4 BCs. She was actually faster than some of them which I found interesting.

We finally just had a happy trial. No stressing (except Kimma decided that the chute was scary and a no-go in Standard but recovered VERY quickly), she was fast enough without completely losing her brain, and she seemed to enjoy herself. I hope they are all like this from now on. She's the best dog <3

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 22 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 5 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti ThD CGC TDIA - 7 years old (M)
Old 04-06-2014, 09:50 PM
Top Dog

Yesterday we were driving up to Baltimore to visit Zach's grandparents with the baby, and there was an agility trial accepting day of entries that was only a slight detour out of the way.

We showed up, and I entered Lucy in jumpers and weavers. Jumpers was soooooo fun. I put her in a start line stay, turned my back, and she was on jump three by the time I realized what was happening. It was like, 'YAY, MOM IS PLAYING WITH ME AGAIN, PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME BEHIND!" I ran with it, and we nailed the course with almost 5 YPS speed! It felt SO good to be out running again!

Weavers was a bit of a reminder to me to stop fixing things...nailed the first set of 12 weaves, but had a tricky entry into the set of 6, and I made her redo them which totally killed her motivation. We bailed after that and I just sent her in a tunnel and we ran out happy.

Next Saturday I'm leaving baby with Daddy and Lucy and I are doing a full day (7 classes!) at my favorite venue of all time. I'm excited!

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 04-06-2014, 11:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Yesterday we were driving up to Baltimore to visit Zach's grandparents with the baby, and there was an agility trial accepting day of entries that was only a slight detour out of the way.

We showed up, and I entered Lucy in jumpers and weavers. Jumpers was soooooo fun. I put her in a start line stay, turned my back, and she was on jump three by the time I realized what was happening. It was like, 'YAY, MOM IS PLAYING WITH ME AGAIN, PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME BEHIND!" I ran with it, and we nailed the course with almost 5 YPS speed! It felt SO good to be out running again!

Weavers was a bit of a reminder to me to stop fixing things...nailed the first set of 12 weaves, but had a tricky entry into the set of 6, and I made her redo them which totally killed her motivation. We bailed after that and I just sent her in a tunnel and we ran out happy.

Next Saturday I'm leaving baby with Daddy and Lucy and I are doing a full day (7 classes!) at my favorite venue of all time. I'm excited!
Awww! Yay Lucy! Can't wait for video!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RL1 RLV 9 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 04-07-2014, 03:50 PM
Top Dog

We made jumps this weekend! So excited to get up some temporary fencing and really try them out. My first goal is to work through Suzanne Clothier's grid program, then try some other programs agility folks have recommended. Watson really enjoys grid work where he can focus through to the end, but is intimidated by finding a distance on a single jump. I think he's trying to focus on me and the jump at the same time and worries about the distance, then ends up right on top of it and pops over. Hopefully starting with a grid will be confidence boosting and teach him how to adjust his stride. He actually has a pretty jumping style when he's not worrying, so I think that's a good place to start.

Jump cups are on order (I wasn't sure if we would make them or buy them) so this is just the jump standards with the 5" high structural cross bar. I want to see if I can use these indoors as cavaletti too.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12

Last edited by Elrohwen; 04-07-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:53 PM
Top Dog

Fred looks like he's having so much fun!! What a pretty area too - I can't wait until our grass is that green again.

Congrats to Lucy and Kimma and Kili too!

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12