Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-20-2014, 12:18 PM
<----Thanks Allie

will they let you do that? I always feel like if you enter things you have to at least make an attempt to run the course. I know this is a fun run... but the rule books always say "no training in the ring."
Old 03-20-2014, 12:31 PM
I'm All Ears

No idea. The only thing I see is that dogs must be registered to run the fun run. I'm guessing it will be touch n go? Since that is what is running after? I hope it has hoops in it...

I just realized Summer will likely be the very LAST run for jumpers. It's the last class and they're doing tall to small. Since she's a veteran, she'll be in the lowest height of 4 inches. And the tunnelers is in the morning. Trying to think of how to make Saturday less exhausting for her. I think her fatigue issue was from beign so pumped all day and not resting. I may go home for part of the day. :/ But it's an hour away. So I don't want to drive home then 5 mins later drive back.

Friday will be easy, everything is just a couple hours from each other.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:51 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Trying to think of how to make Saturday less exhausting for her. I think her fatigue issue was from beign so pumped all day and not resting. I may go home for part of the day. :/ But it's an hour away. So I don't want to drive home then 5 mins later drive back.

Friday will be easy, everything is just a couple hours from each other.
How hard will it be for you to pull your car out? Is she crate trained? When my dogs are getting cranky but I can't go home I usually just put them in their crates in the car, cover them with a blanket so the visual stimulus is gone and drive somewhere quiet (sometimes eventhe far corner of a parking lot) so I can chill in my car and read for a bit while they settle down and nap.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:54 PM
I'm All Ears

I usually crate her in the car. Haven't seen the venue so no idea what it'll be like.

She... doesn't settle well. We have had some progress but haven't tested it in a trial environment yet. Covered or not makes no difference at all to her. She just gets very excited and alert by all the sounds and people and dogs. I also think it may be related to her separation anxiety.

I may bring my gameboy or a book to mess with and just sit in the car for a bit. That's a good idea!
Old 03-20-2014, 01:28 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
will they let you do that? I always feel like if you enter things you have to at least make an attempt to run the course. I know this is a fun run... but the rule books always say "no training in the ring."
In a fun run? Unless they're totally different than every fun run I've ever been to, you can do whatever you want. You can make up your own course. You can do contact obstacles over and over again. You can bring cookies and toys in with you. A fun run is basically for the purpose of training in the ring.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 03-20-2014, 01:39 PM
<----Thanks Allie

ok, I wasn't sure. I haven't been to any agility fun days as they literally never have any close to me it seems.

I went to a couple JRT fun days but they didn't have agility. The did racing, earth dog, and obed/rally... the big thing was that toys and food were used as encouragement and dogs had more time to try... but you still "did the course."
Old 03-20-2014, 01:47 PM
Top Dog

If the fun run is in the trial ring, I bet you can't use food. But I am sure you can do what you want otherwise. Shoot, I still will do "training" of sorts in the ring with Gusto at trials, like running out of the ring to jackpot something and forfeit the rest of the class.

Plus, I think NADAC actually allows training in the ring.

Our club's NADAC trial leaves a hoop next to the warm up jump, since people from other venues won't have seen them before. No idea if that is normal.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:15 PM
Top Dog

NADAC has a new class even lower then novice now...totally excited to try it hahaha. But I am entering him into a trial in Edmonton in April and one in lloydminster in May stoked!!
Old 03-20-2014, 03:19 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

We had agility today for the first time in a month. I was worried because I have not been practicing like I should....I have not been practicing like...at all. Bad Lauren!

Despite that we had an awesome, awesome session. Siri was up and ready, and on fire the whole time! My instructor set up the teeter board on 2 FitPAWS Balance Discs. Siri thought it was the. best. toy. ever. EVER! She ran full speed across it at plopped herself into a 2o2o at the end (seriously, I cannot get consistent 2o2o behavior at home, but she can do them no problem in class...), she showed off her spins in both directions on the board, she did sits and downs and all kinds of fun stuff. In fact, she thought it was SO fun that whenever I wasn't occupying her mind after we moved on, she would run back over to it and jump on it. So we covered it up to make it less distracting.

We also started working on serpentines with Hoops. And she nailed every. single. one. EVERY ONE! On both sides! It was awesome, my instructor was thrilled. YAY BABY DOG!! (additionally, it's a really good thing I signed up for a gym membership today, holy out of shape)

And, to top it all off, we saw our first jump today! My instructor is teaching jumps very slowly and really working on making Siri think about what she is doing with the jumps. She said she sees a lot of terriers who just throw themselves at jumps, and she really wants Siri to learn to jump correctly. Which makes me happy. The exercises she has us doing are also a huge test of Siri's impulse control, which is always good for her!

She also recalled 95% of the times I asked today, which has been a problem recently. And she did dog catches EVERY time I asked! YAY for listening skills!

Every time I'm away from agility for a while (we only do half an hour every other week, it's all I can afford and Siri loses her brain after half an hour) I start thinking about how much money I spend on it and think about dropping it. Then we go to a practice and I remember how much Siri and I BOTH love it.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:26 PM
Top Dog

^ that's awesome!! Go Siri!

I know what you mean about the out of shapeness though... Went to flyball a week ago after being out of the gym for a few weeks. Death. I was death, for days. No bueno.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm