Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-12-2014, 02:36 PM
Legion of Zoom Den Mother

Finally my backyard has no snow and the ground has dried so we're not running on mud. I can start breaking out agility equipment!

Today's mission was front crosses and the pause table. It was a little sequence from the Alphabet Drills book and the last jump, I substituted the table. It was a lot of fun to handle and we got to work collection, collection, collection which is something the black and tans have issues with...like don't wanna. It's much more exciting to run in full extention...all...the...time. LOL

Lars -

Ocean -

Obedience HIT Winner, 2010 ARC Agility Top 10, 2011 CRC Agility Top 10, 2012 ARC Open Obedience Top 10, 2013 ARC Rally Final Top 10, NADAC Novice/Open Versatility, 2012, 2013 NADAC Judge's Choice Award, '12 - '13 NADAC #1 Rottweiler

Ocean - Deerwood's Oh Stars on the Water! RA NJC TN-O HIC CGC
2013 ARC Agility Top 10

Train 'Em Tasks LLC
Old 03-13-2014, 08:09 AM
I'm All Ears

Summer is entered in her first NADAC. 2 touch and go runs, one tunnelers, and one jumpers. We will see how that goes. I'm nervous!
Old 03-13-2014, 01:01 PM

NADAC is a lot of fun and the people are really nice and helpful to people who are new to agility. Good luck and have fun!!
Obedience HIT Winner, 2010 ARC Agility Top 10, 2011 CRC Agility Top 10, 2012 ARC Open Obedience Top 10, 2013 ARC Rally Final Top 10, NADAC Novice/Open Versatility, 2012, 2013 NADAC Judge's Choice Award, '12 - '13 NADAC #1 Rottweiler

2013 ARC Agility Top 10

Train 'Em Tasks LLC
Old 03-13-2014, 08:37 PM
Top Dog

I have nothing to say to those of you who are able to train outdoors right now. Nothing.

Fun sequence we worked on with some neat handling. The one is called Yakov? And I have no idea what the other is called... which is basically just the opposite so maybe a Vokay? lol

Oh and 2 x 2 weaves. I wish spring would come so I could work on these in the backyard and therefore work on them every day. Once a week is NOT enough. She's weaving 4 poles at regulation spacing, different entries, with good enthusiasm/speed. I may add in the third set this week. We shall see.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 03-13-2014, 09:49 PM

Default Agility training

Are you talking about a jaakko turn??? I thought I saw you do something like a ketschker....but I don't think it was a ketschker. It was really cool! Nice handling!

2013 ARC Agility Top 10

Train 'Em Tasks LLC
Old 03-13-2014, 09:54 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

I saw your Jaakko That's one of the turns we worked on in the seminar I went to with Kimma a month or so ago. And the other one that I cannot remember what it was either LOL. You guys are looking good!!!

I love watching your boys, MrsBoats. You do such an amazing job with them. You can tell that they LOVE the game.

Loistava's Jari CGC - 18 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 03-14-2014, 07:55 AM
Top Dog

Yesterday's class went so well! The teeter came out and I won't pretend like I was happy about it. This time the instructor was able to find two tables, so the teeter was propped up on both sides and unable to make as much noise as last week. She walked us through how to train it, then left half of the class to work on it more or less independently, while the other half did some jumping. Of course Watson was pretty uncomfortable at first, but by the end of the session we had moved from him sitting under a chair at the other end of the arena, to waiting his turn in line fairly calmly. He was also walking across the teeter without needing too much encouragement by the end of class, though someone still helped lower it gently (and it was only lowering about 6"). A huge improvement from not wanting to put more than two feet on it. The best part was when our instructor realized he wasn't crazy about food on the teeter, but loved cuddles, so she would sit at the end and he would have to cross it to get to her and cuddle. lol What a silly dog.

Then we went to the jumping exercise. It was basically one jump-tunnel, then two jumps-tunnel, then three (but my group ran out of time for three). The first time with two jumps he knocked the first bar, but instead of shutting down and running out on the second jump he rallied and did fine. She had me to do it again to see what he would do about the first jump, and he flew through confidently and without an issue the second time. I think he's starting to figure out jumping! Yay! And as usual he flew to the tunnel, and the first time considered running off to the dogs training on the teeter, but he changed his mind and came to me. Every time after that he didn't even think about running off.

He's really come so far and I'm so relieved that he was able to progress with the teeter without going over threshold again. I love my new class time too - the people are really nice, and the dogs who are about the same level as Watson. And they drive me so much less crazy than my previous class.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 03-14-2014, 08:59 AM
Top Dog

Ha! Jaakko. That's how you spell it. Yeah, we did that. But then the other one is kind of the opposite 'cause the dog comes in to your close side and changes sides. No clue what it's called though. Really we should have put another Jaakko in at the jump to the tunnel... but that would be 3 finicky handling moves in one short sequence, so our instructor decided to spare us. ha ha. But you can definitely see how not doing it really produced a big wide turn to the tunnel. It's cool to see the handling actually work.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:07 PM
I'm All Ears

So I just realized Summer hasn't seen a hoop in 6 years and that touch n go has hoops. Should I just.... wing it?

We have a week before the trial and I dont' have access to a hoop.

Yay planning!
Old 03-14-2014, 06:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
So I just realized Summer hasn't seen a hoop in 6 years and that touch n go has hoops. Should I just.... wing it?

We have a week before the trial and I dont' have access to a hoop.

Yay planning!
Go to the dollar store and buy a hula hoop?