Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2461  
Old 03-07-2014, 10:07 AM
Elrohwen's Avatar
Elrohwen Elrohwen is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I think what happened here is most likely he went over threshold. He was uncomfortable and he couldn't get away and it kept happening. Next time, before they start working on the teeter, leave the arena and go as far away as you can again. See if he's able to stay calm there, then you can work on it there. Basically do Look At That, except it's more Hear That.
They make CDs that have agility trial sounds and stuff, you could try that. You might also work on loud sounds in general and see if you can't teach it as a generalized game. Clanging pots and pans around, dropping things that clatter when they hit the ground.
Yeah, I know that's what happened. It was just frustrating because I couldn't seem to get far enough away to calm him down - if he could hear it, even a little, he was upset. It was hard for me to watch and not be able to help him cope. Next time I'll have to try putting him in the car, and maybe parking it far away. His initial reaction was pretty mild, so I didn't expect him to get panicked so quickly after that.

He's not phased by CDs with sounds or anything. We've done that in other classes (like show handling) and he doesn't care. We've walked around agility trials and the teeter didn't bother him, probably because it was a generally noisy environment - one bang in a quiet place is much more disturbing to him. I do bang pots and pans around, even make him bang them around, and he'll do it, or hang around for treats, but he still hasn't learned to enjoy it. He'll smack the pan lids with his paw like "See, I didn't like that but I did it. Can I have my treat now?" He's not phased by fireworks other than barking at them once or twice. He's fine with gun shots (hasn't experienced them in close range though). So I definitely wouldn't call him generally noise-phobic at all, just noise-uncomfortable? I was surprised he reacted so strongly.

I'll have to see if our instructor can help us work on it since I don't think getting a teeter of my own is going to happen. Unfortunately renting ring time is only for members.
__________________

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12

Last edited by Elrohwen; 03-07-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2462  
Old 03-07-2014, 10:17 AM
Dizzy's Avatar
Dizzy Dizzy is offline
Sit! Good dog.
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 17,470
Default

Fred did 9 obstacles on Sunday! Well, a set of jumps and the tunnel as a mini course.

We are still doing basics beginner stuff, and omg I didn't realise there's so much brain work involved. It's not easy to remember where you are going, and direct a dog. I'm waiting to fall face first. It all goes in a blur!

We are practicing contacts with a view to trying out the dog walk thing soon. Technical term.

Finally found a trainer I really like and she's nice to boot. She's actually competing with her own dog at crufts today! Must keep an eye out for her!
__________________
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."


Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein


Reply With Quote
  #2463  
Old 03-07-2014, 10:29 AM
xpaeanx's Avatar
xpaeanx xpaeanx is offline
<----Thanks Allie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,681
Default

I got a recommendation to an agility trainer... I've emailed with her a few times and she seems very, very nice/awesome.

I am going to check out one of her classes in a few weeks when I have time off from school. And then when the semester is over/it warms up, we'll be starting with her. She holds classes at her house over the summer because she has a large backyard with a full course set up. In the winter she rents a facility to do training... but I'm really busy with school right now, so I'm game for her outdoor classes. haha!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2464  
Old 03-07-2014, 10:30 AM
Elrohwen's Avatar
Elrohwen Elrohwen is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Fred did 9 obstacles on Sunday! Well, a set of jumps and the tunnel as a mini course.

We are still doing basics beginner stuff, and omg I didn't realise there's so much brain work involved. It's not easy to remember where you are going, and direct a dog. I'm waiting to fall face first. It all goes in a blur!

We are practicing contacts with a view to trying out the dog walk thing soon. Technical term.

Finally found a trainer I really like and she's nice to boot. She's actually competing with her own dog at crufts today! Must keep an eye out for her!
Go, Fred! It's nice to have other beginners on the thread too
__________________

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Reply With Quote
  #2465  
Old 03-07-2014, 10:40 AM
SaraB SaraB is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 5,653
Default

Zip Tie is learning to bend over jumps. He's a big circler like Zuma is and wants to be in full out extension all of the time. So we are working through some collection exercises. This was his first time doing this exercise at 16", we are going to do 20" next time. He can jump nicely when he wants!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...61310363167465
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2466  
Old 03-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Beanie's Avatar
Beanie Beanie is offline
Clicker Cult Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 13,197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrohwen View Post
Yeah, I know that's what happened. It was just frustrating because I couldn't seem to get far enough away to calm him down - if he could hear it, even a little, he was upset. It was hard for me to watch and not be able to help him cope. Next time I'll have to try putting him in the car, and maybe parking it far away. His initial reaction was pretty mild, so I didn't expect him to get panicked so quickly after that.
That's how it works when a dog goes over threshold, you generally can't "fix" it or work on it anymore. The key is to keep them from going over and work on it just under. Putting him in the car if he goes over is a good idea, but ideally you'll be able to work on it without him ever going over. Even if it means going outside and working outside the building to start.
You're spot on that the bang of a teeter in a trial setting can be totally different than the bang of a teeter in the training facility. The type of facility can be different too, depending on acoustics of the building and stuff. The bang on a packed dirt surface versus turf versus matting, for example, those can all sound different! And if it's a small building or a large one, ceiling height, all those things, it can be complicated.
Mine don't care about the teeter, fireworks, they don't care about thunder either... but what the boys don't like is when thunder rattles the windows in the house. It doesn't have to be a generalized dislike of noise or even loud noises. Don't worry, he's not weird, LOL. It happens.

If your instructor can take even five minutes at the end of class (or maybe the beginning right before it starts) to help you work on it, that would be super helpful! I'd be happy to put in a few extra minutes to help a student, but I know not all instructors feel that way. I'd ask about it anyway.
__________________


Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Reply With Quote
  #2467  
Old 03-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Elrohwen's Avatar
Elrohwen Elrohwen is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
That's how it works when a dog goes over threshold, you generally can't "fix" it or work on it anymore. The key is to keep them from going over and work on it just under. Putting him in the car if he goes over is a good idea, but ideally you'll be able to work on it without him ever going over. Even if it means going outside and working outside the building to start.
You're spot on that the bang of a teeter in a trial setting can be totally different than the bang of a teeter in the training facility. The type of facility can be different too, depending on acoustics of the building and stuff. The bang on a packed dirt surface versus turf versus matting, for example, those can all sound different! And if it's a small building or a large one, ceiling height, all those things, it can be complicated.
Mine don't care about the teeter, fireworks, they don't care about thunder either... but what the boys don't like is when thunder rattles the windows in the house. It doesn't have to be a generalized dislike of noise or even loud noises. Don't worry, he's not weird, LOL. It happens.

If your instructor can take even five minutes at the end of class (or maybe the beginning right before it starts) to help you work on it, that would be super helpful! I'd be happy to put in a few extra minutes to help a student, but I know not all instructors feel that way. I'd ask about it anyway.
I was trying to stay calm, I'm usually a calm person even when he's nuts, but even I was start to feel upset watching him panic. Poor puppy

I like the 6:00 class better but it's a shame we're not at 8:00 anymore because that's the last class and slipping in a few minutes at the end would be easy. I'll see if she thinks we could fit something in. She's extremely nice, so I'm sure she'll try to think of something.
__________________

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Reply With Quote
  #2468  
Old 03-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Dizzy's Avatar
Dizzy Dizzy is offline
Sit! Good dog.
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 17,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrohwen View Post
Go, Fred! It's nice to have other beginners on the thread too
Oh we are the very definition of beginners!!
__________________
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."


Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein


Reply With Quote
  #2469  
Old 03-07-2014, 05:34 PM
BostonBanker's Avatar
BostonBanker BostonBanker is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vermont
Posts: 8,106
Default

I've been so desperate to trial again after Gusto's phenomenal showing last month, and now I'm stressing a bit. We are entered next weekend at one of my favorite trials (as far as well run/great people), but the site is less than ideal. My own dogs have actually never had any issues there, but more and more I'm hearing complaints/concerns about how dogs are running there. I'm already pretty sure I'm going to scratch Meg. I just had her entered in one class each day, but I swear I've seen her take a couple of funny steps this week. It is SO mild if she is off, but that combined with running on mats...eh. I'm not sure it's worth the risk. The dog owes me nothing at this point. I am thinking that with all the ice/snow/crappy footing in general, maybe she just tweaked something last weekend when I took them to run at the fairgrounds.

I'm still hoping for Gusto to do well. He's had some good runs at this facility before, although not as great as he runs on turf. I don't need perfect, just some evidence that the last trial wasn't a complete fluke! It will be his first trial at all masters level classes, so we shall see.

Then in April we have a seminar on turf, and an OUTDOOR trial at the end of the month. I am so freaking excited to get outdoors again. While I do have a couple of indoor facilities I like and my dogs like, I am much better suited to outdoor trials. I get to put up my tent, have my own little private space, and feel like I can breath.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2470  
Old 03-07-2014, 05:43 PM
Shai's Avatar
Shai Shai is offline
& the Muttly Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,975
Default

Good luck, Boston!

Today I was asked how Lodin's agility training is coming along and I just laughed and laughed and laughed... haha
__________________

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site