Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 02-25-2014, 09:56 PM
Top Dog

Tiny tupperware with peanut butter in it? My friend uses that as a thrown food reward for her Cavaliers who don't like toys.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:03 PM
I'm All Ears

She refuses any soft mushy food. I can't figure out how to keep non soft food in a tupperware she can reach though.

Argh I swear she's difficult!
Old 02-25-2014, 10:21 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I throw a treat bag for Georgie and she won't grab it - just run to it and then bark at it until I run up and open it to give her some cookies. It accomplishes the forward drive though. =P

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-28-2014, 09:04 AM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

YAY! We're going to Florida this year

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 21 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti ThD CGC TDIA - 7 years old (M)
Old 03-03-2014, 11:50 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Our first trial is this weekend, novice only so it doesn't count for Payton except practice. Georgie still needs two standard legs so it could feasibly matter for her, but I'm not really looking at it as anything except expensive practice. Hoping if anything goes terribly wrong, we'll get it out of our system there instead of down at Louisville in front of hundreds of people. I'll have a whopping two days to work on things if any problems come up...

Saturday we got in some time to work at my house. Payton came out first and he did lovely. We discovered my teeter was frozen to the ground. My big wonderful puppy, he ran up the teeter and I saw him shift his weight back at the tipping point... and it didn't move. He stood there looking confused and then kept walking. So he was standing at the end of the teeter board while it was practically straight up in the area and it just did. not. move. I lifted him off it and then tried to push down on it... I obviously weigh a lot more than P but it didn't go anywhere. So I tried a different tactic and lifted instead. That finally broke it loose. =P Good thing it was my big baby dog because Georgie might have been quite upset by that, but P isn't phased by much these days.

Unfortunately the ground is too frozen to put my stick-in-the-grounds in so we didn't get to practice weaves. I really need to work on them. I'm not sure if I can drag my set and my mom's set of 2x2s outside and somehow get them set up to work on it. The trouble is Payton is great at practice but then at a trial his weave entries go to pieces, so it almost doesn't even matter what I do. I need to go practice more places I think. I don't know.

Ugh the number of things I have to work on is making me feel really nauseated and panicked. Ughhhhhhh whyyyyyy.

The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 03-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkie_Mom View Post
YAY! We're going to Florida this year
Exciting! Congrats!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 03-03-2014, 02:40 PM
I'm All Ears

Still sick and missing agility class this week.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:12 AM
Top Dog

Mimi wins for problem solving when learning new agility skills. Obviously I want her to climb the latticework of the wing jump standard or put her feet ON the bar without knocking it over, not find the back entry for the jump. Training a creative dog is fun.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:43 AM
Top Dog

Agility was really blah last night. First, we sort of signed up for the wrong class this term. The schedule said that my 8:00 class was changed from advanced beginner to intermediate, so I signed up for the 6:00 advanced beginner class. Apparently there were supposed to be two adv beginner classes and the 8:00 people were expected to stay at that time. Most people somehow found that out, except for me and two others who showed up at 6. It's probably better though, because this group is less advanced than the other, which is a better fit for us. The 8:00 people are in their 3rd or 4th time in adv beginner, while the 6:00 people just started. Since Watson still has jumping issues, I'd rather be in a class that moves slower. Second, the 6:00 time is so much better for me. And third, some of the people in the later class were really getting on my nerves. Haha.

The other reason it wasn't fun is that we worked on the teeter, and Watson had a panic attack. He has worked with it a couple times, just baby steps putting his feet on, but has never heard it slam down as another dog ran across, since the others were doing baby steps too. This time, two of the dogs were advanced enough to do it normally and he didn't like the banging. The first couple times he was fine, startled, but took a treat and recovered. As it kept going on, he got more and more panicked. I'm not really sure what to do about it the next time we work teeters. We left the arena and were as far away as we could be in the barn without being outside, and he was still flailing at the end of the leash each time it banged down. He wouldn't take treats, which is so unusual for him. He's always been a little uncomfortable with loud noises, but just a startle and then back to normal, never this panic. I think the fact that it kept repeating really got to him. And for the record, he's heard the teeter quietly hit the ground many times and was completely unphased, so we have a place to build from, it's just hard to figure out how to work on that and I can't ask other people in class to just not run their dogs on the teeter. Yeah, just frustrating I guess. He recovered really well and rocked the weave-o-matics so I was proud of him for that.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12

Last edited by Elrohwen; 03-07-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:02 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrohwen View Post
The other reason it wasn't fun is that we worked on the teeter, and Watson had a panic attack. He has worked with it a couple times, just baby steps putting his feet on, but has never heard it slam down as another dog ran across, since the others were doing baby steps too. This time, two of the dogs were advanced enough to do it normally and he didn't like the banging. The first couple times he was fine, startled, but took a treat and recovered. As it kept going on, he got more and more panicked. I'm not really sure what to do about it the next time we work teeters. We left the arena and were as far away as we could be in the barn without being outside, and he was still flailing at the end of the leash each time it banged down. He wouldn't take treats, which is so unusual for him. He's always been a little uncomfortable with loud noises, but just a startle and then back to normal, never this panic. I think the fact that it kept repeating really got to him. And for the record, he's heard the teeter quietly hit the ground many times and was completely unphased, so we have a place to build from, it's just hard to figure out how to work on that and I can't ask other people in class to just not run their dogs on the teeter. Yeah, just frustrating I guess. He recovered really well and rocked the weave-o-matics so I was proud of him for that.
I think what happened here is most likely he went over threshold. He was uncomfortable and he couldn't get away and it kept happening. Next time, before they start working on the teeter, leave the arena and go as far away as you can again. See if he's able to stay calm there, then you can work on it there. Basically do Look At That, except it's more Hear That.
They make CDs that have agility trial sounds and stuff, you could try that. You might also work on loud sounds in general and see if you can't teach it as a generalized game. Clanging pots and pans around, dropping things that clatter when they hit the ground.

The Sheltiechick Blog