Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-31-2014, 12:28 PM
Top Dog

It seems as though we've developed start line problems suddenly! Every time I put Lola in a stay at class, she starts scratching (stress relief I guess?). My plan is to take a few steps back and do some very short, close ones with frequent rewards. Maybe work on stays at home, but I think the problem won't show up there. Bummer since that was something she used to be really at it.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:21 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

First trial back since we took our break last fall. Kimma was AWESOME! We did things differently than we had been (way different startline routine that includes me running WITH her), and she was fast and best of all, happy!!! We were way under time each course, but of course I'm a bad handler and caused her to have one R in each JWW and Standard. But it's OK! I can fix those things relatively easily. She was wanting butt scratches before we went in, and was working for treats, and she wanted to say hi to people she knew. What a difference from a few months ago when she was totally shut down before going in the ring!

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 22 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 5 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti ThD CGC TDIA - 7 years old (M)
Old 02-01-2014, 09:31 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkie_Mom View Post
First trial back since we took our break last fall. Kimma was AWESOME! We did things differently than we had been (way different startline routine that includes me running WITH her), and she was fast and best of all, happy!!! We were way under time each course, but of course I'm a bad handler and caused her to have one R in each JWW and Standard. But it's OK! I can fix those things relatively easily. She was wanting butt scratches before we went in, and was working for treats, and she wanted to say hi to people she knew. What a difference from a few months ago when she was totally shut down before going in the ring!
Wooohooo! That's seriously awesome.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 02-01-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Wooohooo! That's seriously awesome.
Thank you! As if yesterday wasn't great enough, today she went in and got her first Masters Standard Q , and her second Excellent JWW Q with a first place!

She was definitely stressed before our JWW run (our second run today) but once we got started, she ran well (the first few jumps were a bit slow). We get a couple of weeks off then another trial day. I think 2 days in a row might be a bit much for her right now.

However, I THINK that her getting her first MACH points means that we get to go to Invitationals this year!!!!!!!

Boundless Pawsibilities

Old 02-01-2014, 06:19 PM
dogstrong

Woohoo! Congrats!

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 02-01-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julee View Post
Woohoo! Congrats!
Thank you!!!!

But DARN. My friend didn't tell me the correct thing about Invitationals. You have to be competing in Masters in both Standard and Jumpers to be invited, even if you are getting MACH points already. Boooo. Oh well - let's hope we can get those last 2 Jumpers Qs before the end of June so we can go. If not, there's always 2015

Boundless Pawsibilities

Old 02-03-2014, 12:15 AM
I'm All Ears

Summer decided to hurt herself the week of our TDAA trial debut. Sigh. I guess we'll wait and enter the march one. Probably will skip the UKC trial this month too. And the USDAA is on easter weekend so probably won't be able to make that one either. Sucks!

At least we can make the ORT in May.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:28 PM
I'm All Ears

We had one of 'those' practices today. First of all, I did bring Summer because I knew we'd be indoors and not doing much and she was acting fine all day yesterday and today.

Mia was SLOW. So slow. Just 'eh, I don't really wanna today.' Even doing the basics. She did perk up with her food stuffed toy and there was one exercise about halfway through class where we clicked and she was actually working very nicely. I get frustrated with the 'Eh.... not really wanting to right now'. She is so smart I think she knows she can get a cookie for a half-ass effort. Food stuffed toy though... we need to use that more. I also brought boring treats this time. That must be fixed.

Summer on the other hand was just wild. All over the place wild. 'WOOHOO I'M A SUMMER DOG AND I LIKE PARTAY AND HAVE FUN AND OH HIIIIIIIIIIII! WOOOHOOOOOO! JUMPS AND TUNNELS! FRIENDS AND PEOPLE!'

^^ Seriously. She had no brain. Just flying over and through everything and just circling and wildness with no reeling it in. Imagine a tiny uncontrollable adolescent lab that hasn't ever seen an obedience command and also has a neurotic tendency to circle counter-clockwise- that was my 9 year old papillon today. I tried. Oh lord I tried. We've been doing distractions class and working SO HARD on keeping her from being a wild brainless woman. It was all out the window. I finally got exasperated and told my trainer I just didn't know where her brain was. My trainer replied 'Well, she's probably been stuck inside this weekend with the weather'. I said, 'No, she actually got about 2 hours of exercise yesterday, 4 hours on Saturday, and an hour on Friday.' 'Oh. Wow.'

Yeah. :/

We did regroup on the VERY LAST exercise and she weaved so so well and worked so well between runs. It was great. But the rest of the night was awful.

It was just bad all around.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:50 PM
Vizsla mom

Penn's debut is in 53 days. So horrifying. Not to mention I need contacts at some point before then since she's running 2 standard runs.. she will run the contacts, she's just touch& go about actually hitting the zone. Why did it feel like only last week she was a wee little thing? And how is she old enough to trial now??
Old 02-03-2014, 09:51 PM
Top Dog

I'm sorry you guys had a crappy class! I don't have any insight on Mia, but I can sympathize with a brainless crazy-pants dog at least. I love and also hate the dogs who think before doing. It's cracks me up, but sometimes you just wish their brain would work for a few minutes.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12