Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-28-2014, 08:51 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriskai View Post
They're not all that expensive, either! Only thing I'd change (and might once the weather clears up, are to make separate standard 'feet' as opposed to the cross brace at the bottom. Easier storage.
Yeah, I was thinking about that too. The brace on the bottom seems easier in some ways, but less easy for storage. We do have a shed so it might not be a big deal to store them even with the cross brace - I'll have to see how much room is available in there.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 01-28-2014, 10:56 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Mr. Auggie is sending to a thrown toy. Not a ball... not a ball on a rope... not a food toy... a Skinneez shark tug toy. This is big for my old boy.
My plan is to work more jump grids with him but to also run a lot of exercises just with jump standards. No bars... just run really fast through the standards. Teach speed as a thing and teach jumping as a thing and then hopefully the two will be able to come together.
Some days I think we can do this... some days. We are having some really good training sessions and the good ones are stacking up back to back. Maybe we can do it.
I haven't told his breeder what I'm doing. I haven't told her I entered him in Louisville. She told me she's thinking of skipping Louisville this year. I don't know if I should say something or not. I was sort of planning on just surprising people... or at least hoping he would surprise people LOL. If I don't say anything she might be mad if she misses it...

Question about P, I think I know what I want to do but thought I would ask for other opinions. We are doing Dave Munnings flatwork right now and the FC exercise has you throw the toy out, leave the dog, walk out about halfway. release the dog and then do a FC, spin the dog around you and then race him to the toy (hopefully I described it well enough.) P will always always always come to me when I FC, but he also barks when it happens. I think he's barking because he wants to go out and get the toy and he's frustrated he has to stop and wait. I'm thinking I need to start randomly rewarding him with a second toy from my hand after the FC. I'm pretty sure DM says you can do this but I'd have to watch the DVD again to be sure. Does this sound like a fair assessment of what might be going on and how to help him not be frustrated when I put a bump in his game? He always gets the toy, he just has to take the FC first.
I don't care about the barking itself to be clear, I just think in this case it's frustration and I care about resolving the frustration.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-29-2014, 02:04 PM
The Monster.

Congrats on your success with Auggie! That's huge! I'm not sure what to suggest as far as Payton goes. My gut is to make him work through his frustration, but that may not be the right choice for you and your dog. Do you foresee fallout if you don't provide intermittent reinforcement? Maybe try communicating that he's right with the use of a bridge marker?

I had class last night with Cohen. I'm sooo happy to be back in classes again. It was a pain in the butt trying to get back into class since spaces seem so limited. Due to the limited number of spaces, I'm in a more intermediate level class. Cohen and I are, I believe, the only team who competes. So, as a result, the sequences that are set up seem to be on the simple side. However, it's good R+ for me to help build my confidence. I had some chances to push to the rear side of a jump, cue tight turns into/out of tunnels, layer equipment for distance work and I practiced some object discrimination. Plus I'm always happy to spend some time out and playing on the equipment.

Cohen will work tirelessly. She ran beautifully last night. We did knock a bar or two, but for the most part I'm unconcerned. I can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can practice outdoors on my own.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 01-30-2014, 08:15 AM
I'm All Ears

We had an off week this week since my trainer was having an MRI done on her belgian out of town (no tumors, thankfully!) We did have distractions on Sunday and Summer was a bit off. Every time she's off I get scared she's getting too old. Overall it was good but she missed the A-frame twice for some reason and it was like 70 degrees outside so the dogs acted like they were dying of heat stroke since they're used to working in the 20s-40s.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:16 AM
The Monster.

So... regionals? Are they worth going to?

Basically, I have no intention/hope of going to nationals. The stories I heard from friends from last year's regionals were overwhelmingly positive. However, now that it's registration time again... I'm not so sure. It looks like it's ~$135 just to register, then $22 on top of that, per run. That's... an expensive trial. Especially for one that's outdoors, doesn't count towards titles (is this right?), and may require me staying in a hotel rather than driving out each day.

What are other people's experiences for regionals or other similar trials?

Megatron, Heat Vampire
Old 01-30-2014, 04:12 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
So... regionals? Are they worth going to?

Basically, I have no intention/hope of going to nationals. The stories I heard from friends from last year's regionals were overwhelmingly positive. However, now that it's registration time again... I'm not so sure. It looks like it's ~$135 just to register, then $22 on top of that, per run. That's... an expensive trial. Especially for one that's outdoors, doesn't count towards titles (is this right?), and may require me staying in a hotel rather than driving out each day.

What are other people's experiences for regionals or other similar trials?
It should only be a flat rate. Like $135 for the weekend.

None of the runs count towards titles and they're all masters level courses.

I love regionals, it's a great experience and last years nationals was awesome. My club is hosting AB/NWT regionals this year so i'm for sure going and hoping to go to nationals in NB too.

ETA: Just looked at the ontario west premium and the $22 per run things are for the sanction trial on the friday i believe.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 01-30-2014, 04:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Mr. Auggie is sending to a thrown toy. Not a ball... not a ball on a rope... not a food toy... a Skinneez shark tug toy. This is big for my old boy.
My plan is to work more jump grids with him but to also run a lot of exercises just with jump standards. No bars... just run really fast through the standards. Teach speed as a thing and teach jumping as a thing and then hopefully the two will be able to come together.
Some days I think we can do this... some days. We are having some really good training sessions and the good ones are stacking up back to back. Maybe we can do it.
I haven't told his breeder what I'm doing. I haven't told her I entered him in Louisville. She told me she's thinking of skipping Louisville this year. I don't know if I should say something or not. I was sort of planning on just surprising people... or at least hoping he would surprise people LOL. If I don't say anything she might be mad if she misses it...

Question about P, I think I know what I want to do but thought I would ask for other opinions. We are doing Dave Munnings flatwork right now and the FC exercise has you throw the toy out, leave the dog, walk out about halfway. release the dog and then do a FC, spin the dog around you and then race him to the toy (hopefully I described it well enough.) P will always always always come to me when I FC, but he also barks when it happens. I think he's barking because he wants to go out and get the toy and he's frustrated he has to stop and wait. I'm thinking I need to start randomly rewarding him with a second toy from my hand after the FC. I'm pretty sure DM says you can do this but I'd have to watch the DVD again to be sure. Does this sound like a fair assessment of what might be going on and how to help him not be frustrated when I put a bump in his game? He always gets the toy, he just has to take the FC first.
I don't care about the barking itself to be clear, I just think in this case it's frustration and I care about resolving the frustration.
For the release to the toy and FC, to start use either a low valued toy or food and use a high valued toy to reward with for following you
Old 01-30-2014, 05:31 PM
The Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
It should only be a flat rate. Like $135 for the weekend.

None of the runs count towards titles and they're all masters level courses.

I love regionals, it's a great experience and last years nationals was awesome. My club is hosting AB/NWT regionals this year so i'm for sure going and hoping to go to nationals in NB too.

ETA: Just looked at the ontario west premium and the $22 per run things are for the sanction trial on the friday i believe.
Thanks for clearing that up. Clearly I just glanced at it and filled in the gaps myself. That makes it much more appealing!

Megatron, Heat Vampire
Old 01-30-2014, 05:52 PM
Top Dog

Big trials are just plain fun, in my opinion. I do think our stuff counts for titles though at regionals (or maybe it is just that we have a regular trial in conjunction; the tournament stuff also counts towards titles that require it).

But it's always a party atmosphere around here for Regionals and Cynosport. There are goodie bags and free t-shirts and everyone is running full out and the jello-shots are flying around . I had no intention or chance of being the finals when we went to Cynosport; it was the whole experience that made it worth it 100x over.

I'm planning to run Gusto and maybe Meg at our Regionals this summer; I'd love to aim Gusto for Cynosport in 2015, depending on where it is going to be held. I can't do California this year, and I think it would be silly to bring Gusto at this point in his career. But I loved going once; I'll go again hopefully!

Old 01-30-2014, 06:16 PM
Vizsla mom

Every Canadian person should go to Nationals I'll be there with a Border Collie& like a 1% chance Penn will be competing LOL