Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-24-2014, 07:59 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
LOL! I was just referencing the fact that she said most dogs have their first trial at 2. Those are the puppies that have been doing agility from day one, not those like Siri and Zip Tie that started around 1 year old.
Yeah Mira had her first trial at 2 (well 23 months) and didn't really start working on real equipment til she was 17 months other than a few "hey interacting with this is fun" type things...BUT that depends how you count "doing agility" as we were laying a lot of performance ground work (general and agility) from day one. Also, Mira is cheating.

By contrast, Kim didn't start training agility at all til she was 18 months, and then was retrained to fix all the terrible things she "learned" in the group class we were in at the time, and hit her first trial when she was about 3 years old, trailed some, took over a year off, just now playing again at least for the time being...haha. She's having fun though, and doing well. My rapidly-greying red dog <3

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 01-24-2014, 08:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
If Siri got a late start then poor us over here...

First trial: Age 9! Woohoo.
I just started agility with Skye, at age 9ish. People at agility ask me how old she is, I tell them 9, and they don't say anything else. Shrug. Oh well...she is fit, not arthritic, no issues. I'm just doing it to have fun with my dog...trialing is a long way off.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:57 PM
Vizsla mom

Runaway Penn makes her agility debut at 20 months ..bring on March!! I'm so excited. Hoping she doesn't live up to her nickname also ahaha
Old 01-25-2014, 11:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I'm greeeeeen.
My instructor was showing me something yesterday and I asked if she thought doing it would affect Siri's speed in the future. She kind of laughed and said that lack of speed is NEVER going to be Siri's issue.

Sorry
Old 01-27-2014, 07:12 PM
Top Dog

Any recommendations for jump building tutorials? Or tips?

We're getting ready to build jumps out of PVC and DH and I can't agree on specifics.

Did you buy jump cups or make them? How tall did you make the standards?

Basically, what worked really well for you and what didn't you like so much?

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12

Last edited by Elrohwen; 01-27-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:58 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

I really liked this site for jumps:

http://www.instantagility.com/2008/0...ump-or-hurdle/

And they have easy jump cups, too!

http://www.instantagility.com/2008/0...ble-jump-cups/

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 22 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 5 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti ThD CGC TDIA - 7 years old (M)
Old 01-27-2014, 11:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkie_Mom View Post
I really liked this site for jumps:

http://www.instantagility.com/2008/0...ump-or-hurdle/

And they have easy jump cups, too!

http://www.instantagility.com/2008/0...ble-jump-cups/
I used these to make a jump, easy to follow. I've also found other uses for my PVC cutter (it cuts 12" dehydrated tracheas easily!), definitely worth the purchase if you're going to be making your own equipment.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:20 PM
Top Dog

Skinnies both had agility today.

Mimi was awesome, we've been working a lot on keeping her motivation up on sequences she finds demotivating. Also been working on my ability to shorten my steps to keep moving, keep her 'up', but not move too far and need to stop/slow down.. which is probably the main thing Mimi finds demotivating aside from being corrected.. which we just don't really do. Silly dog reads me way too well. After Ezra's class she got to play with weave poles, which she now loves. She popped the 10th pole a couple times looking for a treat before catching on and completing the weaves entirely. I think I've created a weave sucker… she was trying to skip the jump I was sending her to and go straight to weaves. I suppose if she's going to suck to anything, I'd rather it be weaves at this point. I'm hoping to have time next week to bust out the 2x2s and work on entries.

Ezra is such a dork.. he had a good class, though. I'm missing some of the foundation work I got with Mimi at the other club, but taking my time with Ez to build value. We spent a lot of time on jump/standard work today since he didn't really see a point in it last week. Loves the table, loves the tunnel, loves the butter tub target lid (he bows on the target… cute). When he doesn't know what I want, he bows. Simple dog has a default. He REALLY wants on the teeter.. we compromised with the A-frame. I'm pretty sure he's part mountain goat. Ended the day with a variety of angled single jump sends and recalls to hand, he was happy, I'm happy.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:15 AM
Top Dog

Thanks guys! I had seen that tutorial - glad to know that's the best way to go. I like how they made the jump cups too. My husband was convinced we needed a drill press to attach jump cups. Such a boy, looking for an excuse to buy a drill press I was considering buying them, but he said that was too expensive and wanted to make them himself.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 01-28-2014, 09:46 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrohwen View Post
Thanks guys! I had seen that tutorial - glad to know that's the best way to go. I like how they made the jump cups too. My husband was convinced we needed a drill press to attach jump cups. Such a boy, looking for an excuse to buy a drill press I was considering buying them, but he said that was too expensive and wanted to make them himself.
They're not all that expensive, either! Only thing I'd change (and might once the weather clears up, are to make separate standard 'feet' as opposed to the cross brace at the bottom. Easier storage.