Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-24-2014, 10:42 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I try to let everybody get started ahead of me and let the herd thin out before I start walking. I'm not a fan of being all clustered up like that, it kind of triggers some claustrophobia stuff. =P It's also super awkward when you're part of the herd and EVERYBODY is walking it the same way, and then you're over here walking it differently. And everybody is looking at you like "that is totally the wrong thing to do you freak." Yes well. Thank you for your opinion on how to handle my dog that you've never even met. I appreciate that.
LOL! I doubt they are thinking that. They probably are wondering if that would work better for their dog too.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:26 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Siri and I are working on a lot of distance work right now. Problem is that it's super cold out, and I live in a one bedroom apartment.

Solution? HALLWAY TRAINING! It still isn't ideal, but it's better than the other options I have, so we'll take it (at least until someone asks us to stop).

I had planned on asking my instructor to take some video at our private yesterday, but I forgot. Maybe next time...

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:30 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Siri and I are working on a lot of distance work right now. Problem is that it's super cold out, and I live in a one bedroom apartment.

Solution? HALLWAY TRAINING! It still isn't ideal, but it's better than the other options I have, so we'll take it (at least until someone asks us to stop).

I had planned on asking my instructor to take some video at our private yesterday, but I forgot. Maybe next time...
So I read the first section of this, had to answer a call, but was thinking "I bet Lauren is doing distance stuff in the hallway" and could totally picture it. Sure enough, I come back and finish reading it and that's what you did!

I can't wait until you guys are trialing!! Hurry up. I want to cheer that little dog on.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:43 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I try to let everybody get started ahead of me and let the herd thin out before I start walking. I'm not a fan of being all clustered up like that, it kind of triggers some claustrophobia stuff. =P It's also super awkward when you're part of the herd and EVERYBODY is walking it the same way, and then you're over here walking it differently. And everybody is looking at you like "that is totally the wrong thing to do you freak." Yes well. Thank you for your opinion on how to handle my dog that you've never even met. I appreciate that.
If I am trying to figure out a handling option, I will often step aside and watch someone I know walk it, that has a similar style to me and my dog or if they are an excellent handler and/or instructor etc. If I haven't already spoken to them and discussed the course or tricky spot, I watch them. Hoping they are walking an option that I hadn't considered and get that 'aw!!! that might work for us
Old 01-24-2014, 11:47 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
So I read the first section of this, had to answer a call, but was thinking "I bet Lauren is doing distance stuff in the hallway" and could totally picture it. Sure enough, I come back and finish reading it and that's what you did!

I can't wait until you guys are trialing!! Hurry up. I want to cheer that little dog on.
Darn straight! Because there has to be SOME kind of upside to apartment living

I can't wait to trial either, but I have a feeling it will be a while. I know most people who have baby dogs start trialing around 2ish...I don't think that will be the case for us. Siri is a rockstar, but me...well...I need some work Yesterday at our lesson I managed to step on BOTH of her back feet, at the same time. I felt SO bad Fortunately she's a resilient little sh!t and just turned around and hit the tug like nothing happened.

But someday we will be out there!!

Old 01-24-2014, 11:51 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Darn straight! Because there has to be SOME kind of upside to apartment living

I can't wait to trial either, but I have a feeling it will be a while. I know most people who have baby dogs start trialing around 2ish...I don't think that will be the case for us. Siri is a rockstar, but me...well...I need some work Yesterday at our lesson I managed to step on BOTH of her back feet, at the same time. I felt SO bad Fortunately she's a resilient little sh!t and just turned around and hit the tug like nothing happened.

But someday we will be out there!!
Hahahaha, I can totally picture that too. You guys kind of got a late start too. But I bet you catch on faster than you think you will!
Old 01-24-2014, 11:51 AM
Top Dog

Lol I almost crashed into my little one too yesterday so don't feel bad! We fixed it the second time with a blind cross and that worked MUCH better. I need to start trying more blind crosses because Lo really took to them. (As opposed to rear crosses which are still a headache)
Old 01-24-2014, 12:06 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Hahahaha, I can totally picture that too. You guys kind of got a late start too. But I bet you catch on faster than you think you will!
We did get a very late start. I'm hoping that even if we can't play standard games, maybe we can at least play some handling games like NADAC Hoopers or Tunnelers when she's mentally ready. We haven't even started anything with weaves, and for contacts we are still working with a 2o2o board, which has been a challenge because TERRIER BRAIN SAYS NO TO STOPPING! Well, she does stop, it's just about 2 feet after the board has ended and then she dances herself backwards until she hits the board with her back feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenoLo View Post
Lol I almost crashed into my little one too yesterday so don't feel bad! We fixed it the second time with a blind cross and that worked MUCH better. I need to start trying more blind crosses because Lo really took to them. (As opposed to rear crosses which are still a headache)
Well at least I'm not the only one She's just so stinkin' fast and I'm trying to figure out where I'm supposed to be and sometimes she is where she's supposed to be faster than when I think she will be there!

Old 01-24-2014, 12:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Last night this lab/beagle mix slammed into her owner's feet twice, sending him flying (almost into the a-frame). She's just so crazy fast, and he's a novice handler who can't cue things fast enough, and they just collided. Twice. She popped right back up, but I think her owner will be sore today. She's the type of dog who an experienced agility person would love, but who's a lot of dog for a newbie. I'm glad Watson runs at more or less a speed I can keep up with.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 01-24-2014, 12:44 PM
I'm All Ears

If Siri got a late start then poor us over here...

First trial: Age 9! Woohoo.