Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-23-2014, 09:54 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Every weekend at the same facility? Holy smokes.
Yup. USDAA the first weekend in January, CPE the next, AKC last weekend and again this weekend. We also do ASCA trials. Keeps us busy, that's for sure!
Old 01-23-2014, 12:06 PM
Top Dog

Question for those of you who do agility. HOW do you remember the course? That is my biggest fear, I am going to screw up the order. LOL Its something I would kind of test out with Phoebe and see how she does.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:13 PM
The Monster.

Read the course map. A lot. Try to picture shapes that flow into each other rather than individual obstacles. Then walk it. A lot. Run it at the speed you're going to run your dog so you build some muscle memory.

I still struggle with remembering courses when they involve traversing the same obstacles multiple times. It gets easier. When you first get into it the courses are simple and flowy, so basically just keep running towards the obstacle in front of you.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 01-23-2014, 12:17 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Every weekend at the same facility? Holy smokes.
I'm pretty sure if you saw the facility, you'd understand why everyone trials there. It's so huge and pretty!

Siri picture taken by Linds.

Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:29 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Class went well again this week. It's nice to be able to train in January. Had some seriously funky sequences in Mira's class but I think we handled them pretty well. Kim had a jolly good time weaving and was just a fun, focused goober.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsydals View Post
Question for those of you who do agility. HOW do you remember the course? That is my biggest fear, I am going to screw up the order. LOL Its something I would kind of test out with Phoebe and see how she does.
I'm sure it's different for everyone but I remember sequences, shapes. Other than the first walk through, I never even see the numbers. I get a basic feel for the overall shape of the course, then how I want to handle particular sequences/curve changes within.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Monster Monkey, b. Dec'13
Old 01-23-2014, 12:41 PM
I'm All Ears

Sometimes you just run the wrong course lol. It happens. My standard run in the November intramural with Summer was awesome. When I was leaving the judge commented 'great run but you ran the wrong course'.

Whoops.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Break it into patterns. IE 180's, 270's, pinwheels, serpentines, lines, etc. I don't see them as individual obstacles, but as combinations.

Also, practice makes perfect. Just like how you have to learn handling by repetition, you have to learn to remember courses through repetition. I used to be the absolute worst for it (ask my boss!), but as time has gone on, I am so much better. It's brain exercise.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:04 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I'm pretty sure if you saw the facility, you'd understand why everyone trials there. It's so huge and pretty!
Oh I don't doubt its awesomeness . Just not used to the idea of always being able to trial at the same place, or having trials every weekend, much less both! Bonus for getting to train there too. That'd be amazing.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Monster Monkey, b. Dec'13
Old 01-23-2014, 01:05 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Oh I don't doubt its awesomeness . Just not used to the idea of always being able to trial at the same place. Bonus for getting to train there too. That'd be amazing.
Yeah that'd make Mia's trialling issues so much easier.

Anyways, I like agility BECAUSE there's so much that handlers have to learn/remember. Makes it a challenge and fun for both the dog and the handler.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:09 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
For me it's muscle memory and not stressing about it too much. I know some people walk the course the entire allotted time they get to walk it (for AKC it's usually eight minutes.) I walk it maybe five times. If there's a tricky part of the course, I work just that part until I've decided on how to handle it, then go back and walk the whole thing to see how it all feels together. Then I get off the course. If I keep walking it, I start obsessing, and it gets bad. Most times I am only on the course for maybe three minutes.
Most trials I don't even look at the map. I grab one for my collection (I keep them so I can work stuff in the backyard) but then I just stash it away for keeping without looking.

But yeah, forgetting the course happens to EVERYBODY, LOL. I've seen videos of people at nationals and stuff sending the dog to the wrong jump or wrong end of the tunnel or whatever, and you can usually see in their face they realize they've just done something wrong. Whoops. It happens!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog