Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Top Dog

[QUOTE=yv0nne;2327764]seriously focus on working the TRICKS as a reward. And, probably the thing that made hands down the biggest difference? Ditching the sit-stay for lead outs. She has a sit/ stay& does it but she's looking around, being distracted& disconnects from me while waiting for her release word. Then she zooms around doing bad things.

I don't know if it helps or not ..but I wrote out my Jess Martin/ focus saga on my blog. Starts here& continues here& here!

It is always good to hear other people struggle with the same things ..gives a glimmer of hope, at the very least aha[/QUOTE

Agreed!!

Elrohwen and Lauren, strongly suggest you look into Jess's online courses. Email her and which one would better for your dog. Online puppy classes are just not for puppies

yv0nne, two of Jess's students, Ann & Jazz 12" division and Karey & Reason 20" are doing very well (both top 2) going into the finals today at the AKC Invitational in Orlando. Jess is down there with them coaching
Old 12-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
Izzie has 2 BoT coats for different weather. Get the Rain Rug from BoT, it's thicker and insulated so it actually keeps them warm. I wouldn't ever recommend running them in coats though. When you need to warm up muscles quickly do short fast strokes along the grain of their fur especially along their neck and spine and down the legs. This warms up muscles nicely.
Which one is the rain rug? On their website I only see the "regular" and the "mesh" therapeutic jackets.

I don't like running her in a sweater but she will flat out refuse to move without some sort of coat on. The BoT will be nice, but I'm not even really thinking about it for keeping her warm in winter... more just for spring and fall. It'll be nice if her muscles are warmed up from it, but I don't think that's enough to actually keep her warm. And if her core isn't warm she's just frustrating to run because she just trots and jaunts and acts miserable. I might have to invest in another pair of thicket 4-legged PJs for her and run her in that and then have a top coat that I put on and off. I am seriously wondering if there is such a thing as a heated dog coat.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 12-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy View Post
Which one is the rain rug? On their website I only see the "regular" and the "mesh" therapeutic jackets.

I don't like running her in a sweater but she will flat out refuse to move without some sort of coat on. The BoT will be nice, but I'm not even really thinking about it for keeping her warm in winter... more just for spring and fall. It'll be nice if her muscles are warmed up from it, but I don't think that's enough to actually keep her warm. And if her core isn't warm she's just frustrating to run because she just trots and jaunts and acts miserable. I might have to invest in another pair of thicket 4-legged PJs for her and run her in that and then have a top coat that I put on and off. I am seriously wondering if there is such a thing as a heated dog coat.
Both the BoT coats are therapeutic, the heavier one is what they call a rug, the mesh ones are light weight for the warmer months

I don't use my BoT coat to keep my dogs warm but use it prior too or after training. It isn't enough to keep my short haired dogs warm when it is really cold out. I layer, put a fleece coat under a heavy winter coat and once my dog is warmed up I remove the outer coat and work in fleece one. I have a couple of different coats as the first layer, one is similar to the Chilly Dog coats, the other one looks like a mini fleece horse cooler I have also heated up oatbags wrapped them in towels and put them in my crate.

If you have access to electricity then a very good option is baby pig heating mats

http://www.qcsupply.com/250205-kane-...mat-27-60.html
Old 12-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Vizsla mom

Quote:
Does anyone have any suggestions or products to recommend for keeping my dogs warm at agility and when training?

So now I'm basically looking for things I could buy that people have had success with. I'm thinking of those of you living in northern climates with thin fur coats (Penny's mom!) and what you do to keep your dogs warm when working in sub zero temps.
We have a Ruffwear fleece& she wears it while she runs agility+ an insulated blanket we wrap her in while she's waiting her turn. It was -19C Friday evening so I know all about the horrors of freezing to death slowly LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
Elrohwen and Lauren, strongly suggest you look into Jess's online courses. Email her and which one would better for your dog. Online puppy classes are just not for puppies

yv0nne, two of Jess's students, Ann & Jazz 12" division and Karey & Reason 20" are doing very well (both top 2) going into the finals today at the AKC Invitational in Orlando. Jess is down there with them coaching
Puppy classes so aren't for just puppies ..I still do so. many. puppy things with Penny that sometimes I feel exhausted from them ahah

That is awesome!! I am jealous ..I wish I was closer to be able to train with her more than a handful of times a year.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Top Dog

I like the idea of the heating pad. I'll have to look into that.

What's the insulated blanket you use? I'm wondering about using a survival blanket over her crate to try to reflect heat back in.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Vizsla mom

I'm going to be honest.. I stole it from work so I'm not entirely sure but it's beautiful& very toasty warm! I will check tomorrow (if I don't have a snow day)& see if I can find the brand-name for you
Old 12-15-2013, 12:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yv0nne View Post
We have a Ruffwear fleece& she wears it while she runs agility+ an insulated blanket we wrap her in while she's waiting her turn. It was -19C Friday evening so I know all about the horrors of freezing to death slowly LOL!

Puppy classes so aren't for just puppies ..I still do so. many. puppy things with Penny that sometimes I feel exhausted from them ahah

That is awesome!! I am jealous ..I wish I was closer to be able to train with her more than a handful of times a year.
Jess comes to my place once or twice a month (Oct - May) to give lessons and workshops during the fall/winter/spring I had just started going to her place for lessons this summer when Punk got hurt

Btw, her Jrt Hijack? He is Siri's and Punk's littermate
Old 12-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Vizsla mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
Jess comes to my place once or twice a month (Oct - May) to give lessons and workshops during the fall/winter/spring I had just started going to her place for lessons this summer when Punk got hurt

Btw, her Jrt Hijack? He is Siri's and Punk's littermate
I am sooo jealous ..is it reasonable to move to be closer to amazing agility people?!!

She was telling us hilarious stories of that boy when she was down. Neat to know he's one of yours! I will be grateful to Jess forever for being SO kind when Penny made a fool of me at her first seminar. I was so embarrassed and she was like 'I love Penny. I'll run her for you.' I know a lot of 'instructors' who wouldn't be so forgiving of the bad dog!
Old 12-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:

I don't know why it's not listed on their website but it's different than the regular and mesh, it's thicker and actually insulated. My friend is a distributor for BoT.

dog by mandypug, on Flickr

It's #3250

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 12-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
I don't know why it's not listed on their website but it's different than the regular and mesh, it's thicker and actually insulated. My friend is a distributor for BoT.

It's #3250
Hmmm... Do you know if it comes in a greyhound variety? I noticed that the regular does but the mesh ones not (at least it's not listed).

I wonder why it's not on the website. I wonder if I could e-mail them to order it?