Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-14-2013, 05:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrohwen View Post
We do work on things outside of class. We work every day on my property, and the nearby walking trail. We work on stays and impulse control at hardware stores and the liquor store. His issue is almost always other dogs - without other dogs around, he's much more focused. He finds them so distracting. So no, he's not 100%, but we do work on this a lot and he's not as bad as you might think. I've had multiple people come up to me in public and tell me how well behaved he is and I just laugh. lol

Not sure how long until he gets bored. Some nights it's 5 min, some nights it's 20 seconds. It's really hard to predict. At home he can go rep after rep and ask for more, but in stimulating environments, like classes, I try not to ask for more than one or two reps. And he's subtle about when he's thinking of charging off. I do think he's so impulse that it's not thought out so much as a spur of the moment decision.

Generally I reward every successful recall. In obedience classes, if he's run off and come back, I haven't rewarded him coming back except to tell him he's good and restart the exercise (modifying the exercise so that running off wasn't an option anymore). In agility, I have rewarded him for coming back, mostly because I was shocked he bothered to come back at all in a few cases. lol
I didn't think he was bad or you were not doing a good job

Ok, that ^^^^ is the problem, behaviour chain. He is being rewarded for leaving in agility. When he comes back, get him to do something/anything, spin, trick, back up to reconnect with you and then reward.

I agree with the others, expecting novice/young dogs to work in agility with more than one dog out at time is difficult beyond belief for the new agility handler. Yes it can be done and a lot of trainers do it, BUT those young dogs grew up that way and it has been trained from the get go.

Another question has your dog been allowed to play and socialize with other dogs at anytime in the working environment?
Old 12-14-2013, 05:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
I didn't think he was bad or you were not doing a good job

Ok, that ^^^^ is the problem, behaviour chain. He is being rewarded for leaving in agility. When he comes back, get him to do something/anything, spin, trick, back up to reconnect with you and then reward.

I agree with the others, expecting novice/young dogs to work in agility with more than one dog out at time is difficult beyond belief for the new agility handler. Yes it can be done and a lot of trainers do it, BUT those young dogs grew up that way and it has been trained from the get go.

Another question has your dog been allowed to play and socialize with other dogs at anytime in the working environment?
Thank you for th insight!

Allowed? No. Has it happened? Yes. Ugh. I know that's an issue because he always thinks today might be the day it happens again.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 12-14-2013, 06:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Thank you for th insight!

Allowed? No. Has it happened? Yes. Ugh. I know that's an issue because he always thinks today might be the day it happens again.
I would premack it although I wouldn't do during agility. Give me something I want and you just might be released to go play
Old 12-14-2013, 06:46 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
Yes, Jess's (Jess Martin) online course, the course started last week, but that wouldn't put you behind and I am sure she can add you.
Do you know if she'll have another one coming up? The next few weeks are really busy for me so I'm not sure I could keep up.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:12 AM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Quote:
This is our first agility class and as basic as they get, so no options there. There aren't a lot of places to take classes and we're at the most basic level at our regular facility too (no rally or formal obedience, still foundations). He's never been off lead except for formal recalls which he adores. I think you're thinking we are more a advanced than we are. lol I feel like my question is what to do when your dog fails foundations classes. Maybe the answer is to just keep doing foundations classes for another year until he grows up, but I can't help thinking that I'm missing some things in training if a whole year of basics with a 16 month old isn't enough to do one jump or tunnel off leash.
Have you thought of taking him out of class until you get this all under control? I guess that's what I meant

And it's NOT because you're a bad trainer or he's not a good agility dog - it's just for your own sanity and so that behavior chains are not allowed to begin in the first place.

I also love the idea of Premacking like ado suggested. I think it's just important to take all of this stuff outside of agility then bring it back in slowly (i.e. at a speed that you will be successful at). And I know that money doesn't grow on trees, but you could even start back in foundations classes when you think he's almost there just to further proof. Stand back and don't feel pressured to go off leash until you are ready/you think he's ready.

Loistava's Jari CGC - 17 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 12-15-2013, 08:32 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkie_Mom View Post
Have you thought of taking him out of class until you get this all under control? I guess that's what I meant

And it's NOT because you're a bad trainer or he's not a good agility dog - it's just for your own sanity and so that behavior chains are not allowed to begin in the first place.

I also love the idea of Premacking like ado suggested. I think it's just important to take all of this stuff outside of agility then bring it back in slowly (i.e. at a speed that you will be successful at). And I know that money doesn't grow on trees, but you could even start back in foundations classes when you think he's almost there just to further proof. Stand back and don't feel pressured to go off leash until you are ready/you think he's ready.
My worry is that without professional help, I'm not going to get it under control. That might be off base, but I'm afraid if I pull him from classes, we won't improve or get anywhere on our own. I did decide not to sign him up for obedience again in January because I think he's bored there and not making much progress. I did sign up for one more agility foundations class so I'll see how it goes. At home he's just such a different dog because there aren't other dogs around (or they are far away).

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 12-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Vizsla mom

seriously focus on working the TRICKS as a reward. And, probably the thing that made hands down the biggest difference? Ditching the sit-stay for lead outs. She has a sit/ stay& does it but she's looking around, being distracted& disconnects from me while waiting for her release word. Then she zooms around doing bad things.

I don't know if it helps or not ..but I wrote out my Jess Martin/ focus saga on my blog. Starts here& continues here& here!

It is always good to hear other people struggle with the same things ..gives a glimmer of hope, at the very least aha
Old 12-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Top Dog

First time back to agility after a month or so... Not the prettiest, but we did Q and come in third! We're waiting for standard now.

Fullhouse- my first time running it! 26 points in 31 seconds, and Recon's first time jumping 20" at a trial.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 12-15-2013, 10:42 AM
Top Dog

Does anyone have any suggestions or products to recommend for keeping my dogs warm at agility and when training?

Kili is a HUGE wuss about the cold. Today at agility class she was pokey, avoiding jumps, harder to engage (more distracted) simply because she was cold. I could not get her to engage in play with me (with or without a toy) and even her favourite activity of chasing me... she mostly refused to move faster than a trot. She wears her sweater for class and training now that it is cold, but evidently it is not enough. And it was cold today... but if she would just get her little butt moving she'd be fine. After the first 10 minutes I took my jacket off and worked in my sweater for the rest of class with no problems.

I kept her out of her crate most of the time and while the other dog was working I jogged and walked her around the arena and tried to engage her in play activities. Nada.

So now I'm basically looking for things I could buy that people have had success with. I'm thinking of those of you living in northern climates with thin fur coats (Penny's mom!) and what you do to keep your dogs warm when working in sub zero temps.

I am thinking about getting her a "Back on Track" coat to try to warm up her muscles at least. I know it won't really make HER warm (core temp) but if her muscles are warmer maybe that will help. Are there any jackets that are easy on-easy off or that allow enough mobility that she can run in them that also offer superior warmth? Keeping in mind that most coats for regular dogs don't fit my greyhounds well, so it's preferable if there is a "long and lean" variety of the coat (was super happy to see that Back On Track offers a greyhound coat).

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 12-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions or products to recommend for keeping my dogs warm at agility and when training?

Kili is a HUGE wuss about the cold. Today at agility class she was pokey, avoiding jumps, harder to engage (more distracted) simply because she was cold. I could not get her to engage in play with me (with or without a toy) and even her favourite activity of chasing me... she mostly refused to move faster than a trot. She wears her sweater for class and training now that it is cold, but evidently it is not enough. And it was cold today... but if she would just get her little butt moving she'd be fine. After the first 10 minutes I took my jacket off and worked in my sweater for the rest of class with no problems.

I kept her out of her crate most of the time and while the other dog was working I jogged and walked her around the arena and tried to engage her in play activities. Nada.

So now I'm basically looking for things I could buy that people have had success with. I'm thinking of those of you living in northern climates with thin fur coats (Penny's mom!) and what you do to keep your dogs warm when working in sub zero temps.

I am thinking about getting her a "Back on Track" coat to try to warm up her muscles at least. I know it won't really make HER warm (core temp) but if her muscles are warmer maybe that will help. Are there any jackets that are easy on-easy off or that allow enough mobility that she can run in them that also offer superior warmth? Keeping in mind that most coats for regular dogs don't fit my greyhounds well, so it's preferable if there is a "long and lean" variety of the coat (was super happy to see that Back On Track offers a greyhound coat).
Izzie has 2 BoT coats for different weather. Get the Rain Rug from BoT, it's thicker and insulated so it actually keeps them warm. I wouldn't ever recommend running them in coats though. When you need to warm up muscles quickly do short fast strokes along the grain of their fur especially along their neck and spine and down the legs. This warms up muscles nicely.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug