Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-18-2013, 08:08 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Yay! She is so cute - and huge! I always forget how tall greyhounds are.

Are you doing the "Building Focus" class? I almost signed up for it with Gusto, but had just finished the Agility Fix-It class, where Focus and Drive were our issues, so I figured I had most of the exercises already.
Yeah, and she's my little one. Summit is 15-20 lbs heavier, an inch and a half taller and 2 inches longer. He has quite the challenge turning his big bus of a self around.

And yes, it's called "Building Drive, Focus, and Teamwork in Performance Dogs".

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer

Old 11-18-2013, 08:57 PM
Top Dog

Tracy is probably my favorite trainer I've had the chance to work with - glad the class is going well for you! I'm skipping Thanksgiving dinner to drive to New York for a seminar with her. 12 hours total of driving for a 3.5 hour seminar, but worth it

Poor Gusto is going to have his head explode that weekend. Our seminar that we were supposed to go to this past weekend was rescheduled when the presenter had car trouble, so now Thanksgiving weekend, we will leave Thursday, seminar Friday morning, get home late Friday night, have Saturday off, then an 8 hour seminar on Sunday. Luckily both instructors are ones that we have worked with before, and their styles work well together, so I won't feel like I'm pulling the rug out from Gusto at any point. Just too much good stuff in too short a period of time!

Old 11-19-2013, 09:58 AM
Top Dog

Tracy is really great. We missed out on a seminar with her locally in September. She was here for a weekend with my trainer, but the only seminar that applied to us was on the Friday and I couldn't get time off work. Next year....

I love doing workshops. So much fun. Nothing I like more than spending all day with my dogs. If only I had more money. Jealous of all the fun you have coming up! I need to conserve money. Kili needs to be spayed shortly and we have a destination wedding to attend... that I have to pay off today. I'm about to be very, very poor. Boo. Need to get Kili more interested in disc since it's cheaper than agility. ha ha

Old 11-19-2013, 05:11 PM
Vizsla mom

We had 100% success with Penny at the seminar. Seriously. Then today her AAC card showed up in the mail! YAY YAY YAY.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I love doing workshops. So much fun. Nothing I like more than spending all day with my dogs. If only I had more money. Jealous of all the fun you have coming up!
I'm actually really gun-shy about seminars and workshops now; I had a terrible experience with one last winter where I left crying over how I treated my dog at the trainer's insistence. I'm pretty much just sticking with my couple of go-to people now, unless I get a chance to see the trainer teach ahead of time.

The seminars are my attempt at appeasing myself. I've pulled Gusto from his regular classes (well, once this session ends in a couple of weeks) because I'm really not happy with how he is going there and how the classes are going. It's really hard; the trainer is one I've worked with for a long time, and I give her an enormous amount of credit for all the work she helped me do with Meg. But times and people change, and we get new dogs, and things don't work. We really don't have anyone local to work with now. Luckily I can still get him on equipment a time or two a week, and one of our session is with three very knowledgeable friends who are very good eyes to have on things. But it isn't the same. Alas. I'm not sure what our long-term plan is going to be.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:14 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I don't have a long-term trainer for P either. I really want somebody to help me with him, but I just don't think anybody around here is going to have both the understanding and the skill to do it. I can find skill but not understanding, or understanding but not skill... not both. I don't have money to waste on just one or the other. So I have to try to figure out how to do this all on my own, and I'm not sure I'm really talented enough. Other people seem to think I am and seem to think Payton has plenty of talent too... but.

I haven't done anything with him since our trial in Springfield, partially because I just needed a break, and partially because I'm just trying to come up with a plan of what to do and I just straight up don't know.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-19-2013, 08:25 PM
Top Dog

Wow, I feel really lucky. I have always had a trainer that I really liked. When I first got Summit and was still in school we went to a local trainer that a friend of mine had taken her dogs to. Loved her. Then we moved to our current place and at first I was going to one trainer (did all of Kili's puppy, rally, obedience, and first agility classes there, and some agility with Summit) but they were in a transition. The founder was retiring and moving to a small property so she sold the business to her "apprentice" (what do you call them?) and sold her property (house and training field/building) so the classes all got moved to the other location in another city. They went from being 15 minutes away to almost an hour. I drive a big truck and have an awkward on call schedule. So I checked out the only other agility place and I love, love, love them. I've been going to them ever since.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:31 PM
Vizsla mom

There are 4 people on my island who compete in agility ..and I'm at the top of the Q list. I've been to 5 trials where some of these people are year 3 of competing. That should tell you where we stand with trainers :/

The closest trainer we have is a 4hr drive away, off the island. Oh, the perks of a very small town.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yv0nne View Post
There are 4 people on my island who compete in agility ..and I'm at the top of the Q list. I've been to 5 trials where some of these people are year 3 of competing. That should tell you where we stand with trainers :/

The closest trainer we have is a 4hr drive away, off the island. Oh, the perks of a very small town.
That's terrible. I'm in a small backwoods town now. I did not even think about trainers when I accepted this job. It is definitely something I will be looking into prior to the next move. Can't get lucky twice in a row I figure.

How do you train for agility? Did you have to get your own equipment?

Old 11-19-2013, 08:47 PM
Vizsla mom

Yup, we have about 20 jumps, all the contacts, 4 tunnels, 2 sets of weaves, 2 tires, 2 tables andddd ..I think that's everything aha

In the winter, we rent a horse barn 2 nights a week& train then+ I keep 3 jumps, table, tire& a set of weaves home for use if we get a nice day and in the summer, we train at my parents. They have lots of flat land& we can leave the gear set up permanently. It would just be nice to have the closeness of a trainer instead of the long, long drive.

I drove 12hrs total for my Jess Martin seminar ..plus, all trials are at least 4hrs away And yeah, if we ever move ..proximity to a good trainer will be on my list of MUST HAVES !!