Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-08-2013, 06:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrohwen View Post
Haha. But LostandConfused's Hudson is already bffs with Watson.

Plus I've spent enough time in rural Ohio to last a lifetime. I used to go to Willard for work all the time.
Well.. BOTH of you move here!

Rural Ohio.. Bleh. I had to Google Willard if that tells you anything.. and a work trip up to Mansfield.. THAT was interesting.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriskai View Post
Well.. BOTH of you move here!

Rural Ohio.. Bleh. I had to Google Willard if that tells you anything.. and a work trip up to Mansfield.. THAT was interesting.
I stayed in Mansfield because it was the closest town with a Hampton Inn. Willard's one hotel was sketchy. It was definitely interesting! I saw Mansfield on a documentary on heroin use. Lol

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 11-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Top Dog

Our club rents a barn for winter practices, and it has long been a hard place for Gusto to work. Chicken poop in all the corners, dropped treats everywhere, etc. I took him to practice today, as we have a seminar there next weekend and I figured I'd better see what I had.

Holy cow. Fast, focused, got some crazy weave entries (including letting me do some badly timed rear crosses on the weaves without popping). No sniffing. No leaving me. I can't think of a single step he took that wasn't wonderful.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Our club rents a barn for winter practices, and it has long been a hard place for Gusto to work. Chicken poop in all the corners, dropped treats everywhere, etc. I took him to practice today, as we have a seminar there next weekend and I figured I'd better see what I had.

Holy cow. Fast, focused, got some crazy weave entries (including letting me do some badly timed rear crosses on the weaves without popping). No sniffing. No leaving me. I can't think of a single step he took that wasn't wonderful.
WOW!! Go Gusto!
Old 11-09-2013, 12:47 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post

YAY!! That's awesome! GO GUSTO!!!

Loistava's Jari CGC - 18 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 11-09-2013, 01:39 PM
Top Dog

Watching Susan Garrett's first 2x2 weaves DVD and having mixed feelings. I really wish Mimi was toy driven. I know this method works and I really WANT it to work but I think I need help. I'd be really interested in seeing her use this method on a soft dog that gets discouraged easily.

The advice seems to be, train Mimi to be a toy driven dog. Get a toy that I can use as a food toy to convert her. Is this the only way to successfully train 2x2s? I don't want to keep throwing food and encourage floor surfing for tidbits. I also don't want her staring at me the whole time watching me for a reward. Her highest value reward (aside from food) is leaping in to my arms and verbal praise. Not really all that helpful. Something I'm going to have to ask my trainer about on Monday.. Training her on 2x2 in the house has had very limited success as well. I don't have a yard and my living room is limited in terms of space.

Blah, mostly just complaining about my novice-ness. Interested to talk to my trainer... I don't want to mess Mimi up!

Last edited by iriskai; 11-09-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:10 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriskai View Post
Watching Susan Garrett's first 2x2 weaves DVD and having mixed feelings. I really wish Mimi was toy driven. I know this method works and I really WANT it to work but I think I need help. I'd be really interested in seeing her use this method on a soft dog that gets discouraged easily.

The advice seems to be, train Mimi to be a toy driven dog. Get a toy that I can use as a food toy to convert her. Is this the only way to successfully train 2x2s? I don't want to keep throwing food and encourage floor surfing for tidbits. I also don't want her staring at me the whole time watching me for a reward. Her highest value reward (aside from food) is leaping in to my arms and verbal praise. Not really all that helpful. Something I'm going to have to ask my trainer about on Monday.. Training her on 2x2 in the house has had very limited success as well. I don't have a yard and my living room is limited in terms of space.

Blah, mostly just complaining about my novice-ness. Interested to talk to my trainer... I don't want to mess Mimi up!
I trained Kimma using 2x2 method, and she's SUCH a sensitive dog who has no desire to play with toys. I put treats in a small treat pouch and threw that. Eventually she would pick up the treat pouch and bring it to me, we would tug for half a second then I would open it up and let her have some goodies. Worked really well for us!

Loistava's Jari CGC - 18 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 11-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Top Dog

I'm probably just a sour-puss because I didn't really like the 2x2 stuff I did (went to a seminar, watched the DVDs a few times, kind of played with them with Meg who was already weaving, initially tried them with Gusto), so take anything I say with a grain of salt. I know there are people here who have taught the method and had great success with it. I don't deny its success a bit, but I do dislike the rabid "this is the only way to train weaves" following they seem to have.

If someone tells me my dog needs to be toy driven to succeed at something, I tune out immediately. Gusto is; Meg is not, and it would be a massive undertaking to teach her toy drive. It was never necessary. If a professional trainer can't help me find a way to teach my soft, food-driven hound to do something without toys, I'm not overly impressed with their training. I'm so grateful for the wonderful trainers who did help me with Meg despite her "limitations".

There's a lot of ways to teach weaves, and for every method, there is a dog out there doing crazy fast, independent, reliable weaves who was trained that way. 2x2 is the popular answer to teaching weaves the last eight years or so, but certainly don't fall into the trap that they are the ONLY way. If it doesn't work for you or your dog, find a method that does. I know a dog trained with gates who is incredibly successful. I've seen dogs trained with 2x2, weave-a-matics, and channels who have stellar weaves. Gusto's were free-shaped. Meg's were trained with a combination of shaping and careful treat placement. She's done fine.

Definitely talk to your trainer and see what she says. She's the one who sees you guys regularly and can tell you if there is a way to adapt stuff to suit you. And don't worry about messing up your dog!

Old 11-09-2013, 03:50 PM
Top Dog

As usual, BB nailed it Lucy has zero toy drive. We've been quite successful in all realms of agility.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 11-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Top Dog

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I think I'm mostly just worried about screwing her up because she has fun and I don't want to ruin that by making it confusing! I think I'm going to leave her alone until next class and see what happens.

On the other end of the spectrum... Ezra's kind of learning to spin in a circle.