Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-10-2013, 12:55 PM
The Monster.

Crates are just a big convenience as far as I'm concerned. I love that I can send Cohen to her crate while I go walk a course. I don't even bother closing the door while I walk or when other dogs run since her stay in the crate is so solid.

A few times Cohen has caught sight of her crate at the end of a line of obstacles and gone straight for it and crated herself, despite there being more to the course. I try to move the crate out of the way these days.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 10-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Top Dog

It makes total sense, it was just not something I ever experienced. But I do remember in our first class, standing outside of the fence when one dog was running, but after like 3 classes, the trainer decided we and the dogs were all fine to be leashed in there, and never had any problems. 2nd trainer was the most professional I had, and she competed with her BCs, and has a well known training club around here, and she never asked us to crate dogs either. Current class is during the day and there is only 3 dogs (2 little, 1 aussie) and they're all fine together.

It's funny though, I'm not really in the 'dog world' per say like some are, since I don't really do any competing, and such, so when I went to the Barn Hunt trial a few weeks back, it was funny to me to see everyone's dogs in crates in the back of their trucks and cars. Jackson, being my only dog, and my traveling companion like almost everywhere I go is just so used to... being with me. I could never leave him in a crate in my car LOL and I know it's not cruel by any means, it's just not what he nor I are used to. The most I do is leave him in my car if I run into the post office, or Chipotle or Walgreens or something hahaha.

I know I would have no issue training him to be in a crate if I had to, it's just not something I ever cared to train. In our family, dogs are only crated for a short time as pups, and have just always been left loose. So it's just kind of foreign to me. LOL

Old 10-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Top Dog

One of the main reasons I stuck with the trainer I've used for seven years or so is that ALL dogs who aren't working need to be either crated or ex-penned. The other classes I've been to, the dogs are all on leash and leashes are dropped or removed when the dog runs - everyone kind of stands in line. I was constantly defending Meg against dogs running up to her.

Now, I wouldn't do anything but crate when I'm not working. Gusto in particular needs to be kept 100% engaged. If he's out of his crate, I'm actively training or playing or amping him up. I can't watch anything else, or walk the course or discuss things that way. And he (and I!) can only stay "up" for a few minutes at a time. If I let him hang on the end of the leash and stare or sniff or anything, I can't get him back quickly. So he never just "hangs out" when we are in an agility setting.

However, the one thing our trainer doesn't require is that the dogs be quiet. I'm dropping classes for the winter once we are inside, because one of the other instructor's dogs SCREAMS non-stop in the crate when other dogs are running. It's a small, low ceiling area, and the noise has me practically jumping out of my skin. I've considered bringing headphones to put on between my runs, but I don't think it would drown it out.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Top Dog

I prefer to crate my dogs when they're not working at class because I want them to have that down time. Let them rest, and process. When my dog is out with me, I want to be able to give them my full attention, so they learn that the time with me in that environment isn't just time to hang out and look for snacks, it's time to focus and work together.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Top Dog

We went to a USDAA trial yesterday and it was a disaster (snooker to start--terrible, terrible first class for my dog, followed by pairs, the other awful class!). Set us up for a day of disaster in a new location (horse barn!) with amazing smells all over the place.

BUT!!!

It was so worth driving 90 minutes to get there, because THE JUDGE WAS SUPER NICE AND MEASURED MY 9 YEAR OLD 16 1/4" DOG AT 15 7/8"!!!!!

He was measuring her, and I said I was hoping I would get her under 16". He says, "Yeah, that's not going to happen, what height did you sign up for today?" I told him we were 16 performance, because my dog was 9 years old and I didn't see a need to jump higher.

"Oh, she's nine?"
"Yeah, she's my old lady."
"Hrm, looks like she's 15 7/8"

AHHHHHHHHHHH! I can keep playing USDAA with my little girl now, because she can jump 12" in future trials, yay!!!

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 10-13-2013, 09:17 AM
Top Dog

I love it! Do you not need two more measurements though? Or was that her last one?

Old 10-13-2013, 09:26 AM
Top Dog

Awww Cali, that's awesome!!

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador | Smallpox - 2014 Rat Terrier
Old 10-13-2013, 09:28 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I love it! Do you not need two more measurements though? Or was that her last one?
It was her last one, and he said since he's the only one who is a CMJ he's the only one who counts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9krazee View Post
Awww Cali, that's awesome!!
I was dancing around the whole barn. It made waking up at 4:45 and trialing in the pouring rain worth it!

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 10-13-2013, 09:32 AM
Sit! Good dog.

2 weeks!!

God it's taking forrreeevvveeerrrrr!!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 10-13-2013, 09:35 AM
I'm All Ears

My friend had her 12 year old dog measured and the judge did their darndest to make him measure at the lower cutoff. That stuff is nice imo. Too bad my old dog doesn't have a shorter height to measure into. :/

Anyways, should I take Summer to class this week or skip it? She's on pain meds and antibiotics. Appetite is down but other than that seems normal and active. I'm leaning towards skipping but not 100% sure.