Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-10-2013, 10:02 AM
Mainstreme Elitist

Cara starts a foundations class in the 24th. What should I take to class with me? On my list I have fleece tug, treats, water, bowl, treat bag. Anything I'm not thinking of?

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 10-10-2013, 10:09 AM
The Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upendi&Mina View Post
Cara starts a foundations class in the 24th. What should I take to class with me? On my list I have fleece tug, treats, water, bowl, treat bag. Anything I'm not thinking of?
Maybe a crate. A lot of classes don't require one to start, but it makes it SO much easier going forward.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 10-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Mainstreme Elitist

I was thinking about that. I think I'll end up getting a soft sided crate for agility because well a pt cruiser isn't the best dog car. lol For now I plan on working on Cara's focus when it's not 'our turn' because her biggest downfall is wanting to go play with all the dogs instead of paying attention.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:19 AM
I'm All Ears

Our school requires dogs to be crated. We have some spares that live out on the field but if you want your own you have to bring them.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Mainstreme Elitist

I didn't think of that Laurelin. I talked to the trainer for the class when I was making sure there were open spots and nothing was mentioned about it so I suppose I'll find out.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Top Dog

I've never heard of dogs having to be crated during agility class? Really? lol... I've taken classes with 3 different trainers at this point. We just leash them up after their run/turn.

Good thing we don't, Jackson does not do well in a crate, and is not crate trained.

Brit & Jackson

Old 10-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

We never crated dogs in our agility classes, but honestly I would prefer it. I think it would be good for the dogs to learn how to be crated and hear/see other dogs running. Also it's easier for people to watch other dogs and learn if they are not wrestling their dogs.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-10-2013, 11:28 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
I've never heard of dogs having to be crated during agility class? Really? lol... I've taken classes with 3 different trainers at this point. We just leash them up after their run/turn.

Good thing we don't, Jackson does not do well in a crate, and is not crate trained.
Well I've taken classes at...five different facilities now? Ish? And yeah practices vary but most places require that your dog be removed from the ring when you are not working. Either crated or leash, but with some sort of barrier between the working dog and the nonworking dogs.

Considering I have had my dogs gone after twice during agility classes, I am a huge proponent of this practice. Once a sideline dog (leashed but in the ring) got loose and went after Kim while we were midrun. Another time the working dog left his work and attacked Mira as she sat next to me facing away from the course (we were next in line and told to be ready, there were no gates set up) and I've seen more spats between other dogs. Not worth it.

The problem with not having a crate or some place to confine your dog is often that it slows the whole class down between exercises as the instructor is explaining and people are walking the sequence because you either need someone to hold your dog, or you skip your walk, or you walk with your dog which can create other issues (multiple dogs walking at once, split attention, rehearsing being "on course" with your dog while disengaged, etc).

Just my experience, though.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 10-10-2013, 11:31 AM
I'm All Ears

I've been to four different places... 1. Ukc style place with poor training methods and they kept dogs leashed for 'foundations' but running courses we had them outside the fence. 2. Texas- for fun type of place. No crate required and dogs stay within fence when not worked. 3. National level competitor. Crates and quiet crating required. 4. Competition based club (usdaa) and one trainer did work with one dog but he was kept away and all class dogs were dog friendly. They have little runs set up near the rings and thats what he tended to use vs an actual crate. Trainer 2 requires crating no ifs ands or buts.

So variety but I think it is a very very good plan to do. For safety reasons first of all and especially if you don't know if the dogs are dog friendly. If dogs are crated and the dog running blows off a cue and runs to the other dogs, the dogs are safely crated. It also keeps people able to watch and teaches dogs to be crated near the ring, which if you compete you will have to do. The biggest reason though is safety and liability.

Mine don't crate great but it's improved through classes and my instructor helpin us.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:35 AM
I'm All Ears

Oh yeah forgot about walking courses. There's lots of times the handlers and the instructor are on the field walking the course and discussing the plan (what crosses to use, handling specifics, etc) with the dogs crated. I don't know how you'd go about that with the dogs in tow.