Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-13-2013, 12:42 PM
I'm All Ears

Everyone is telling me well you might as well just train 12. I think 6 is a lot easier for my dogs to get. My plan was what you did and mash the two together. Most my friends are doing 2x2s instead of channels like I'm doing. 2x2s were really stressing my dogs and I don't think I'm very good at training them to begin with. Anyways, just tweaking things to see where we go.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:40 PM
Top Dog

Eh, nobody I know just starts with 12. I wouldn't worry about it. Honestly, once my dogs were doing six and figured out the rhythm and footwork, 12 was basically nothing different for them. If six seems to be working for your dogs, I'd go for it with no apologies. Gusto was trained on six (that's actually all I have at home) and debuted in USDAA, where they have to do 12 right from the start.

Speaking of which, we are hitting the road in a few minutes for the weekend trial. I'm considering it a good omen that Gusto's PD title certificate showed up in the mail while I was packing the car.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:48 PM
The Monster.

I would also recommend training at 6 - or even 4 - until you're really seeing the drive and awesome entrances that 2x2s can give. Once the basic understanding of the obstacle exists adding more poles isn't too difficult, but you can easily overface your dog by presenting too much too fast when the basics still aren't there.

I started Cohen with 6 (well, 2, then 4, then...) and she moved on to 12 within a few minutes when I first presented her with a full line. Recently I put her in front of 36 poles and she did them on her first attempt with zero hesitation. I'm still working Megatron at 4 (I got lazy and haven't worked them in 1-2 months) and am in no rush to add another wicket.

Congrats on the progress! The cooler weather makes things so much easier.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 09-13-2013, 02:03 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I don't know anybody who trains 12 right off the bat either. I mean, if you go by the 2x2 method, you're actually only training TWO poles to start, so...
I trained Payton with a mishmash of 2x2s and weave-o-matics, and when I went to 12 poles I added two poles at a time (as opposed to the traditional 2x2 method sets of 6 and moving them closer and closer.)

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 09-13-2013, 02:16 PM
I'm All Ears

It seems like a lot of people around here do the full 12 channel weaves to begin with. I'm liking going smaller, may even back Mia up to 4 poles.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Top Dog

Huh. Interesting... No one around me trains less than 12 to start anymore! My current instructor for the weaves class we're in is working novice dogs starting with 12. She's said that she did 12 from the beginning with one of her dogs and 6 from the beginning with the other and the 12 pole starter never had any problems popping out, while she had a lot of trouble shooting with the dog who started with only 6, and her colleagues and friends have said the same thing is pretty much true for them as well, so she's starting us that way. Recon started from the beginning with 12 and I haven't seen a problem, yet!
Old 09-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Most people don't even like to do 12 poles for very long in practice. I rarely did with Auggie. So much physical wear on the body with weaving.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 09-13-2013, 03:57 PM
& the Muttly Crew

People here do what works for their dog. If that's starting with 12 channels, cool. If that's starting with 2 poles for 2x2, cool. 6 channels or weave-o-matics? Also cool. Wires? Yep there's that crowd too. Agility has been strong in this area pretty much since the inception of competition agility in this country so every method has a foothold and die-hard supporters.

Which is fine because there is no one completely right or wrong method provided you're doing everything else right. It's dog training.

If you are not getting the drive and understanding and attitude you want with all 12 but getting more what you want out of 4 or 6 then you are absolutely doing the right thing for your dogs. Which is all that really matters.

/soapbox

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Monster Monkey, b. Dec'13
Old 09-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Top Dog

Yeah, I had dreams of Crossbone only ever seeing 12 poles in training...and then didn't have enough space. I have sets of three poles so I do three, six, nine or twelve. I decided that I should switch it up so he never knows how many -- just that he has to do all that sit in front of him.

We're loving working in our new yard. I set the straight tunnel in front of the weaves and he has to run through both while we play chuck-it. We've also been working on serps, threadles, wing wraps, etc. He's gonna be freaking awesome someday.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Most people don't even like to do 12 poles for very long in practice. I rarely did with Auggie. So much physical wear on the body with weaving.
This and you can speed up the rewards with 6poles, imo.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.