Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-01-2013, 05:51 PM
I'm All Ears

Honestly it just makes me feel like my dogs aren't very welcome there. If I were to jump Summer in her championship class it would be 3 in higher thn her shoulders. That's 1/3rd of her height. And there's no way to bump down a dog to 4 in unless you run veterans which not all dogs can. Every other height has an option to bump down the jump height except for tiny dogs.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:15 PM
Top Dog

Diesel started weave pole class this week, so glad to be back in class LOL.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I was surprised that they didn't; the changes are nice for me (Gusto can be 18" Championship as long as I decide I'm happy with the a-frame height), but I really expected a 10" championship height.
My first thought on seeing the changes was to laugh at ALL THE JUMP HEIGHTS! Then I was moderately pleased that if I can't get Pirate measured into 16, he can jump 18. Even thought I might enter him at 18 whichever way he measures.

But I'm really not comfortable with the taller A-frame. And really? My just barely over 16" dog (maybe. He might still measure in at 16) is a large dog?

So I suppose it still remains to be seen. I will most likely enter him in a USDAA trial in October, and we can find out if he'll measure into 16 or not. If not, I suppose we're back to my first plan of no USDAA.

I don't think these jump height changes are going to do anything for the organization. Just a lot of effort/expense for the clubs, and no new entries.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Top Dog

I do wish they'd add one lower Championship height with all the other changes they are making. There's already a lot of height changes; one more would not make or break things.

Quote:
Every other height has an option to bump down the jump height except for tiny dogs.
But...they do? Unless I'm misunderstanding you. My dogs both measure as 22" dogs, but I run them in 16" performance; your dogs both measure as 12" dogs, but you (can) run them in 8" performance. Did they not offer that at your trial? I guess I'm assuming all heights are offered everywhere. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Gusto is pretty much the same as Summer on a different scale currently; he measures 17", so jumps 22" championship, 5" over his withers. I run him 16" performance as I said, partially for the lower height and partially for the lower a-frame. I know a lot of people who use performance just for the a-frame. Some of them even just use the championship height (or higher even).

Not that I'd change things up with Meg at this point, but she still measures into the 22" class, which I think is still a big leap for a 17.75" dog. I know some people who have said that they hear/experience/feel that the performance division is considered the "loser" division, but around here, there is zero judgement about it, and it is often just as competitive or moreso than championship. I wish that attitude extended to all competitions, because the division is such a great option for those of us with dogs who don't easily fit into the championship classes.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Top Dog

Nothing wrong with trialing in performance, that's why it was created.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 08-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Silence, peasants.

Ok agility people, advice needed. What should I be looking for in an agility class/instructor? I would potentially want to compete. This isn't for Wesley, it's for the future puppy. Obviously can't start in for a while after I get her, but I figure I might as well pick a training facility for Puppy K that I can also do agility at should we decided to (leaning that way). Tips for what to look for?

Feistea, ze Blog
Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 08-02-2013, 06:41 AM
Vizsla mom

You can definitely start right away with her! I brought Penn home right away& started with agility obed the next day Look for a facility that has a focus on puppy foundations& obedience. Maybe go watch some of their classes? I don't know ..we don't have puppy schools on my tiny island& I love my trainer.

Off to Not the Nationals this weekend! Good luck to Izzy who is heading to the real thing
Old 08-02-2013, 09:11 AM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Since Kimma and I are taking a break from trialing for the next month and a half, we are just focusing on getting her a bit faster. She's getting REALLY reliable, which is cool because I know she's following what I'm doing, but we need the speed for when we start trying to get MACH points.

But I figured I'd update on babydog! We've been doing some jump standard work, including wraps. His aren't as "fast" as I want them to be yet, but he understands the game and I shaped them which is cool. He's getting good with 2o2o as well, which is fun. I have him now going from our tippy plank doing a 2o2o (he's getting very good at just stopping at the end - with the box he learned on I would just keep running by him and he got it) to a jump standard doing various wraps or just going straight through. We've done bits of work with rear crosses, and a good amount of stuff with front crosses. I'm having SO much fun with him it's ridiculous. The only thing I need to work more on is getting him to REALLY drive away from me. He will go to a target but only so far away. And he's not totally in to toys yet, so that's something I want to do for 2x2s eventually (we're getting there!).

And then of course just getting him out to as many different places as possible. He's so focused on me it's awesome. MUCH different from Kimma, though Kimma obviously has her strong suits, too

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 21 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 7 years old (M)
Old 08-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkie_Mom View Post
The only thing I need to work more on is getting him to REALLY drive away from me. He will go to a target but only so far away.
Try putting a harness on him and doing restrained sends. Do you have a tunnel and will he do it yet? You can do them to wraps too. Start really close, pull back a bit on the harness - or just take hold of it if he seems upset by you pulling on the harness - then say "GO!" and "send" him to the tunnel or wrap. Then just gradually start backing up more and more. You should find he starts pulling more on the harness as you progress too. You want him straining when you grab the harness or at least leaning into it because he's amped up ready to explode forth.

This weekend's project is rebuilding my a-frame and it's going to be a hell of a project...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
This isn't for Wesley, it's for the future puppy.
Why not? You should give it a go, do some foundations with him!