Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffiangirl View Post
Does anyone happen to know the ages for NADAC jr handlers? My son has expressed interest in handing Gage.
Quote:
Junior Handler Division. The Junior Handler division is open to any dog which is being handled by a handler who is 17 years of age or younger. This division applies only to the jumping classes--Regular Agility, Jumpers, and Chances. There is no Junior Handler Division in the non-jumping classes. Dogs in this division are given the allocated Junior Handler standard course time, and are placed separately from the other divisions.
http://nadac.com/Rules_for_NADAC_trials.htm#_Divisions

Do it--entry fees are dirt cheep for junior handlers!

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 07-16-2013, 12:55 AM
Top Dog

I do mostly AKC, with a little USDAA. I did a little NADAC when I started, but I disliked it as they kept changing it. (when I did it, it was still combined with ASCA; the current ASCA agility is like the NADAC agility I did back in the day). I did do some CPE after it arrived. Did a little UKC agility, when I was doing more UKC events. But now, pretty much AKC and a bit of USDAA. AKC is the most common venue around here, probably followed by CPE, with USDAA & NADAC following behind. Oh, and some UKI.

By "around here", I tend to mean "within a few hours". It would be possible to trial without having to stay away from home, but it would be somewhat limited. More trials within commute distance than when I started, but still somewhat limited. I work some weekends, so I pretty much have to go to trials when they occur on my weekends off, which means missing some closer trials.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:53 AM
Top Dog

I do mostly USDAA, which is my real love. We have two local (can stay at home) AKC trials a year here that I generally do, but I don't travel for AKC. In any given month, I could probably find 3 AKC, USDAA or CPE trials in a reasonable driving distance (which for me is under 4 hours). I just love USDAA the most. The classes (games! snooker!), the people (nice combination of highly competitive but also super fun and nice), the multiple classes a day (AKC days drag on forever for me), even the judges are my favorites. I think the vibe of the different venues can vary by area, but around here, it's the best fit for me.

Under 3 hours (which is my cut off generally for driving the morning of to a trial), we basically have the two AKC trials, one USDAA and one NADAC. The only one I don't participate in is the NADAC, because the rules and equipment changes confuse me.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Top Dog

So far I've only had the courage to do trials where we train, so just USDAA so far! I've been pretty happy with it, but Lola has to jump performance because 12 inches would be crazy too high for her.

On a side note: This week in class she stopped mid-run because she was suddenly overtaken with a desperate curiosity to find out what was inside those numbered cones. She stopped suddenly and stuck her nose through the hole. This after running by them for over a year and a half!
Old 07-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Here's a final recap of our first time out.

first trial by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

Saturday:

Mia gamblers: 3rd (I didn't even check yesterday since I knew we didn't Q)
Summer gamblers: --
Summer jumpers: 2nd, Q

Sunday:

Mia gamblers: 3rd
Summer gamblers: 2nd, Q
Summer jumpers: --

Gamblers went phenomenal with both. Mia actually got the gamble but I positioned myself too far away when the buzzer went and we couldn't make it back in time. My fault. Summer's gamblers run was superb and pretty much flawless. We racked up a ton of points.

Jumpers started well but the second tunnel got us. My dogs both think highly curved tunnels are a bit scary. My trainer said afterwards that I got too far ahead of her and stopped at the tunnel and then she stopped. I tried again and again (shouldn't have) then ran past it. Then Summer had lost steam. I think it was just a lot. End of the day on the second day and she was pooped. I think if I hadn't botched the tunnel she wouldn't have lost speed though.

But they were happy and stayed with me the entire time. No freak outs or anything, no saying hi while they were working, no panic attacks. It was a good time but I am pooped. I worked most the time I was not running.
SO awesome!!!! Congratulations!! Summer's a little rock star huh?
Old 07-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Top Dog

Starting to make real progress with Robin!
Old 07-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Bouncing back and forth between "hey we might actually pull something decent off!" and "OH GOD THIS IS GOING TO BE A DISASTER!"

My brain has been fried for the past several days trying to go through the last minute stuff. None of it is probably going to matter. If he doesn't know it today he's not going to know it tomorrow.

I want to throw up when I think about it. I'm trying to be determined to just relax and have fun and yet panic keeps seeping in.

It's just expensive practice.
It's just expensive practice.

We're waitlisted currently for the trial in Indy in mid-August, like 23 dogs ahead of us. I have until next Friday to decide if I want to pull him. No word yet if there's a post-close waiting list or not, I'm almost hoping we just don't get in. x_x

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 07-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Payton's first run:

And you can't see it in the video but I started crying right after the video cuts off. Because I couldn't believe it. I really just wanted him to get his weaves... and he ran the whole course and he Q'd and everything. I just never believed it would happen. Sometimes I would be working with him and think "you know, maybe he COULD pull it off." But I didn't really think he would.

Best Payton in the world.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 07-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Top Dog

Congratulations!!! He looks incredible, I knew he could do it
Old 07-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Top Dog

Congratulations!