Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
It is USDAA. Now y'all are confusing me. Lol
You can place without a Q in USDAA too.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:51 PM
Top Dog

NADAC has placements without Q's. It's basically just a "handler reinforcement ribbon". Whoever Q's will take 1/2/3. If there are no Qs in your class, you can take the ribbon without a Q. I have a whole slough of placement ribbons without Q's. It looks darn impressive to the uninformed people who see Lucy's wall of ribbons (especially because Lucy's often the only dog in her class and gets auto 1st places if we finish the course...).

NADAC has a heavy focus on speed--their course times are MUCH faster than akc/usdaa (the tunnelers course this weekend was 14 obstacles in 26 seconds for elite dogs, 34 seconds for 16" novice dogs). As such, they want to reward people who run the course quickly.

USDAA does it too. I only have 2 USDAA Q's, but 4 placement ribbons. Same with CPE. I guess AKC is the only one that doesn't?

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 07-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Top Dog

Wait that means I should have gotten ribbons last weekend for Diesels 3 firsts and one 2nd place last weekend LMAO.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:10 PM
I'm All Ears

I had no idea you could place without Q'ing until yesterday. All of our placements were in classes >3 though. Mia's two ribbons were 'hooray you're not dead last in your class of four!' We had 3-5 dogs in our class.

Poor Summer did get dead last in her first gamblers class.

Payton's bark sounds just like Trey. I <3 him. He's looking good. Want to teach my dogs tunnels?

Ok so two questions.

1. What venues do everyone compete in? I can't keep it all straight. We've done USDAA and also would like to do AKC some.

2. Where to buy a decent tunnel for an ok price. I know they're pricey but I will need one eventually. I bought a kiddy one but it's too short to really work on our issues and also it got torn up easily. Might as well spend some money on a decent one.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
1. What venues do everyone compete in? I can't keep it all straight. We've done USDAA and also would like to do AKC some.

2. Where to buy a decent tunnel for an ok price. I know they're pricey but I will need one eventually. I bought a kiddy one but it's too short to really work on our issues and also it got torn up easily. Might as well spend some money on a decent one.
1. Mostly NADAC. I've done USDAA and CPE as well, and enjoy them both but their trials are too few and far between (maybe 6 per year for each within a reasonable drive), while I can do NADAC every other weekend within 90 minutes of home. I have no desire to do AKC (12 hour trials for 2 runs is not a good setting for Lucy)

2. Mine came from affordable agility.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 07-15-2013, 09:36 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:

1. AKC. Started in CPE (Kim) but switched out pretty quickly for a variety of reasons. USDAA doesn't really exist here unless I start traveling more than I do; NADAC doesn't exist here at all, though it was popular where I lived before.

Competing is really fun for me so that factors into my decision.

2. I bought mine used from a local agility club. I don't have sand bags for it yet so it's kind of useless at the moment but I got a long (20'?) competition quality tunnel that was just a bit worn for $70.

That said my dogs are bigger. I've known people with toy size breeds who use play tunnels and such for practice at home. Mira would put a paw through one though...

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 07-15-2013, 09:39 PM
I'm All Ears

6 trials in a year would've been a lot for around here! I hope we get more trial options in the near future. We had the first USDAA trial in the state this last winter.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:53 PM
Top Dog

I have only just started and the club here trains in NADAC so that's what I do.

My nearest trial is 5ish hours away.

My tunnel is just a cheap one off Amazon but it was on sale for 10 bucks, plus the 15 for shipping of course lmao. http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00COGT...f=ya_aw_oh_pit and for Diesels 10lbs it's good for home training.

Does anyone happen to know the ages for NADAC jr handlers? My son has expressed interest in handing Gage.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:54 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
6 trials in a year would've been a lot for around here! I hope we get more trial options in the near future. We had the first USDAA trial in the state this last winter.
Six USDAA trials in a year would be a lot here too. There are about two that I could possibly get to without going the hotel route. I travel too much to want to spend my weekends in hotels if I can help it...I'll do it for say a hunt test since I have no choice, but if I can trial AKC locally...

Now if you mean six agility trials of any kind in a year...then not so much lol. Agility (various venues, including USDAA which has since left the area for the most part) has been strong here pretty much since the beginning, which is one reason the local-ish competition is so much fun

I really hope agility continues to build in your area It's so much fun!

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 07-15-2013, 09:55 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Payton's bark sounds just like Trey. I <3 him. He's looking good. Want to teach my dogs tunnels?
Restrains!! Mine naturally like tunnels anyway but I slap his harness on and do a restrained send. He learned it like lightning. His restrains to a jump are not quite as impressive (I can't get that far back yet, maybe only twenty feet?) but we're doing them the same way.

I do AKC because that's about all there is around here really. If I went up to Chicago I could do anything, but I'm not the world's biggest fan of driving in Chicago so I just... don't.

My first tunnel (it's red and has been in other videos and photos before) came from a place that is out of business now. It's a bummer because I REALLY like that tunnel and absolutely would have bought another from him.
The pink one in the above video was from a big NTI Global sale earlier this year and it was a pretty bangin' deal. I think you can buy smaller ones for toy dogs from them pretty cheaply but if you're investing and plan on a bigger dog later, you might just want to dish out the cash for a competition quality and size one (or similar.)
I have empty milk jugs that I filled with sand that will function as tunnel tamers, I just need bungees or something to loop them together so I can strap it across the top. Otherwise, like Shai said, they move around. With smaller dogs you might be able to get away without for a while though. Auggie and Georgie don't really move mine a whole lot, but P does.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog