Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-01-2013, 09:03 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
Omg, has anyone NOT had a dog do the zoomies at a trial?
ME! We'll see how long that lasts. If summer repeats this last weekend's class then we definitely will.

Here's my boring update:

Tonight was the first time I really decided to work 'weaves' at home since having my realization I suck at training weaves and then stopping to figure out what I'm doing.

I've realized my dogs understand shaping and that clickers are motivating to them. So I have brought out the clicker. My trainer had also independently suggested shaping the weaves for my dogs since they were struggling.

Summer is doing 3 poles now with a few inches of space between them and it is going well. I did 2 sessions tonight and she was very happy and trying to go with some speed. Overall very good session. I'm pretty sure it's not the best way to train weaves but 2x2s were just not working for us (me in particular). Maybe it'll be the best method eventually for me once I get more experience. So if we don't have the fastest/most reliable weaves I'm just not sweating it.

With Mia... I am still seeing some fallout from pushing her too hard and confusing her and getting frustrated by the weaves. Last night at class she was happily doing 2 poles but tonight in the yard (where the 'worst' happened from her experience) she was starting to stress after the first rep. So... we decided to play instead. We did some chase games and I used the clicker to keep her engaged. She was stressing by sniffing and just disengaging. I'd run to one side of the yard and she'd chase me, click, treat. Run to the other side, click treat. Run again then ask for a hi five or spin, click treat. By the end of the session I had a dog that was happy again to play in the yard and not worrying. I don't think we're even going to approach weaves at all till after the trial and it will be sloooowly.

I will be honest I feel a little like a jerk for letting my 'needing to have dogs that weave' come before my dogs having fun. Lesson learned the hard way. I guess some have to be learned that way.

Then we did a short play session with each girl and the tug. Summer did good and Mia started really getting into it in the yard, which was great. She was crouching and would jump up and bite at the tug when I'd show it to her. So... no weave progress really but I'm back on my way to a happy dog.

Next week I'm going to get there early to just do some chase games with Mia. I'm also going to skip weaves at all with her in class for a while.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Okay, so I need some help from you guys. I have an agility lesson this weekend with a great trainer. I've taken one other lesson with her before, last summer, and one seminar. She doesn't always handle the way I would choose to with Gusto at this point, but she's never had an issue with me saying that (asking me if I've proofed his contacts against blind crosses, I just said I don't want to do those with him yet since he likes to duck behind me, we moved on cheerfully). What I LOVE about her and her dogs is that she does a fantastic job motivating them, keeping them playing with her, and running fast. And she does it with some physical limitations, which, given my lack of speed, is helpful to me.

The other times I've worked with her it hasn't been in private - a group at the seminar, and my other lesson was a semi-private where I kind of let the other handler take the lead. So I know it is going to start with "what do you want to work on", and I'm not sure exactly what I should be asking for.

Gusto's obstacle skills are generally good - his weave poles need more proofing for sure, but I know that. What we need is help increasing his speed, both over the ground and over the obstacles, and tightening up his turns and stuff, since he's still kind of "baby-dog loopy". He doesn't "pick up" nicely from front crosses; I don't know if it is my timing or reward placement or what. This is all assuming I get the dog I usually have these days, and not Silly Baby Dog who needs to go spend an hour sniffing the fence line.

Is there anything specific I should be asking for? Wording things a certain way? I know that words like "drive" get thrown around, and half the time everyone means something different. Do I give that whole speech, or should I just have a quick answer on hand ("I need to work on handling").

I'm excited; I like this trainer, and she will be back in our area again in August for another round of lessons. But I always feel like such a babbling idiot in situations like this - or I clam up and give one word answers. Or both!

Any advice?
Sounds like you have a very good idea what you need help with Just say that above line and you'll have it covered.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:43 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
Omg, has anyone NOT had a dog do the zoomies at a trial?
I don't even know which Kim-zoomie story should be told first... lol

My girl likes the feel of the wind in her ears, what can I say?

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 07-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Oh, hello chute.

Oh my, that is quite the chute! I can imagine a lot of dogs being thrown by that one! And your story is quite hilarious. Poor Meg, trying so hard!

My sense of humor tends to get the best of me, so when my dogs find a really creative way to NQ, I can only laugh.

I had such a moment with Tess this Saturday. Not as dramatically wrong as Meg and the chute, or Random Pirate, but Tess is 7 years old, and a very experienced agility dog. Close to her MACH, had competed at World Team Tryouts, Nationals, and the Invitational. Blah blah blah.

So I'm running this course with her, outside, in 90 degree weather. Which she actually handles fine, and she's bouncing at the start and eager to run. The opening wasn't a very good one for our lack of start line, so I wind up needing a dramatic call-off from a tunnel (embarrassing, I don't usually need call offs!), but we get past that. She nails a tough weave entry, and works hard to stay in. Coming down to the end of the course, I figure we've got it in the bag, I tell her "table"... and she heads past the pause table to the score table, 10-15 feet away.

"Hey ma, this one has shade!"

Well, I guess I didn't specify. And yes, that was her only fault for the run, but I guess if you're going to NQ, you might as well make it entertaining. Though I'm going to have to talk to her, it would have been funnier if she'd jumped on the score table.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Top Dog

We've trialed 3 times and every single time we've had one really good one where she's running fast (or well as fast as her little Shih Tzu body can run anyways lol), and "into" it. And then right after that one where I'm feeling all confident, she goes into the ring and walks it, needing to be cheerleaded through the whole thing. We had the entire audience going "YAY LOLA WOOO" on the last straightaway trying to get her to go faster haha. I like to call those runs our "cute but not desirable" runs LOL

But the thing is, I never saw any perfect dogs or perfec handlers out there, especially in novice.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:11 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Kimma has only had zoomies on one course thus far, and it was hilarious. I'm anticipating more such runs once she gets her confidence back 100%. Everyone started laughing and I just recalled her as I was running to the exit gate. She followed, taking every jump in her path, quite proud of herself

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 22 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 5 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti ThD CGC TDIA - 7 years old (M)
Old 07-01-2013, 10:39 PM
Top Dog

Zuma's whole run is just one massively semi-controlled zoomie.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 07-01-2013, 10:52 PM
I'm All Ears

Sort of agility funny. This is what Mia was doing while I was working with Summer in the yard today.

bad dog by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

*whistles innocently*

what by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr[/QUOTE]
Old 07-01-2013, 11:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post

Tonight was the first time I really decided to work 'weaves' at home since having my realization I suck at training weaves and then stopping to figure out what I'm doing.

I've realized my dogs understand shaping and that clickers are motivating to them. So I have brought out the clicker. My trainer had also independently suggested shaping the weaves for my dogs since they were struggling.

Summer is doing 3 poles now with a few inches of space between them and it is going well. I did 2 sessions tonight and she was very happy and trying to go with some speed. Overall very good session. I'm pretty sure it's not the best way to train weaves but 2x2s were just not working for us (me in particular). Maybe it'll be the best method eventually for me once I get more experience. So if we don't have the fastest/most reliable weaves I'm just not sweating it.

For what it's worth, I had to use the clicker to shape weaves too. It was really the only way to get her to understand that the poles were actually part of the game. The biggest mistake I made with the shaping though was spending too long clicking for one pole and not increasing the poles fast enough before she got the click. So now she looks at me after each Pole and will sometimes miss one because she's not looking forward. The time she spends looking is gradually decreasing the more she does them and she can do them on one side nicely, so it's not the worst problem to have.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Top Dog

Felt like I should update on our agility drop in handling class from last night.

We did a series of three (or four?) drills with the goal of working on lateral distance. First one Recon was sort of iffy on, but he was driving well, I just pushed a little bit too far a few times and blew him past some jumps. His sends to tunnel are doing fantastic and I'm able to keep a lot more space now.

Second series was AWESOME. Best I've felt out of him, yet. IIRC, it was something like this...

course by DJetzel, on Flickr

And it was so smooth. No tunnel sucking, no crosses, he drove forward and played tug after. I was squealing so much dragging this little red dog behind me. XD

Then, you know, everyone in the area started lighting off fireworks and shooting guns and Recon shut down and we kind of wasted the gas in even going. Poor guy was hiding under my car at one point, he was so afraid.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm