Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-07-2013, 12:05 PM
& the Muttly Crew

My thumbs aren't up to typing out all my thoughts but regarding this bit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerotti View Post
Yep. Me and Pan have had lessons with quite a few international level competitors, and all have told me that if I want to compete at that level, to get a BC.
Try showing up with not-a-herder...it's like being invisible

When I ran a friend's BC a couple times a while back, I had all these people suddenly introducing themselves and chatting with me and asking if I'd been doing agility long. It was SO HARD to not say, "Ummm yeah I'm not new and my retriever and I have beaten you. Many times." They just don't even notice, or automatically assume it's a fluke.

I like BCs as a breed and I like a lot of people who own BCs but sometimes, some of them...

*grumble grumble*

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 06-07-2013, 12:07 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post

Try showing up with not-a-herder...it's like being invisible
I can one-up you. Try showing up with a toy dog.

No really, pretty much everyone in our local scene around here is great. Most everyone is really laid back and welcoming, even the BC people. It's one of the nice things about it being so new around here. Everyone's trying to start everything up together.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:07 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Honestly, I just don't get that attitude at all. I'm probably just not competitive enough or maybe I just don't care enough. I'd much rather have fun with MY dogs and dogs that suite me outside of agility too than to go out and get the 'best agility breed' just because they're the 'best'. It makes me feel like those people have lost what it's all about. But what do I know, I don't have 'real agility dogs'.

I do happen to like BCs outside of agility lots but still.... agility is a freaking game. There should be a lot more going into picking your dog.
100% agree. The best agility dog is YOUR agility dog!!

*flips table*

ARGH IT JUST MAKES ME SO MAD >=<

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Cause BCs never have jumping problems? lol
That's not what they're saying, but I see the frustration. Too many times I was told to just get a BC as well and that's why my trainer is so **** stubborn about letting me give.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Allons-y!

The vet ok'd Cricket to go to agility class last night, so we went for our first time since her tail surgery. She did great and I'm sure was happy to be out of the house - I did slow her down more than she liked, but I didn't want to risk her whacking her tail on something and opening it up again. I was worried about balance issues during tight turns, but she doesn't seem to have any problems with it.

Emily &:
CH Aurai Defying Gravity CL1-R - "Newton"
MBIF CH Tova's Don't Stop Believin' of Aurai CL1-S CGC - "Journey"
BIF/BISS CH Tova's Cricket Song of Ardmoor Farms CL2 CGC - "Cricket"
Visit us on Facebook!
Old 06-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedydogs View Post
The vet ok'd Cricket to go to agility class last night, so we went for our first time since her tail surgery. She did great and I'm sure was happy to be out of the house - I did slow her down more than she liked, but I didn't want to risk her whacking her tail on something and opening it up again. I was worried about balance issues during tight turns, but she doesn't seem to have any problems with it.
Yay! I'm glad she seems balanced

Old 06-07-2013, 03:21 PM
Top Dog

Someone have a flame suit I can borrow?

Quote:
Yep. Me and Pan have had lessons with quite a few international level competitors, and all have told me that if I want to compete at that level, to get a BC.
Lazy trainers. That's all there is to it, in my mind, and it just gets fed into more and more, as they spread that attitude around. Not that those who run border collies are lazy; I equally despise the "border collies are born knowing agility!" attitude. But anyone collecting money as an instructor who has that to offer as advice is lazy.

Training a BC isn't always going to be easy, but the answers to everything you may encounter are out there. "We" (not me, but the Agility World as a whole) know how to train these dogs. People have put in the work already, finding out how to train different skills in a dog with the mind and body of a typical border collie. You don't have to think out answers yourself.

I can appreciate a border collie with super gamble skills, or one who has those weaves or contacts that make your heart stop a bit. But I'm not really "impressed" for lack of a better word.

If a trainer wants to dazzle me with their skills, show me how to get my soft, non-toy motivated hound to run full speed over a dog walk. Teach a toy dog to leave their owner and go out 20' to the weave poles. Help me figure out how to get my easily distracted terrier mix baby dog to sit on the start line, quivering with anticipation and focused on the first obstacle. Don't say "tugging is a prerequisite" - find a way to make it work with a dog who doesn't like tugging.

My first question when looking at possible seminars to attend is "what have they successfully trained for dogs"? Going to someone whose success is built entirely upon BCs is likely to be wrong for me. I want either that trainer or their students successfully running other breeds. I want to know they can do it, and create happy dogs and handlers.

I learned this all the hard way; I've only attended probably a half-dozen seminars presented by different people (I've repeated some people I really liked). Without fail, the ones who I go back to over and over and stalk online for further opportunities are the ones who have success at a national or international level with Not Border Collies (or at least not exclusively with BC). They problem solve, they look at the dogs as individuals, and help you figure out what motivates THIS dog in THIS situation and create a system that works for you and your dog.

/rant

Old 06-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Training a BC isn't always going to be easy, but the answers to everything you may encounter are out there. "We" (not me, but the Agility World as a whole) know how to train these dogs. People have put in the work already, finding out how to train different skills in a dog with the mind and body of a typical border collie. You don't have to think out answers yourself.
This. So much this.

I know TONS of trainers that can train a toy motivated dog to do agility. I can count on one hand the number of trainers that can train any breed to do agility. Those are the trainers I learn from, those are the trainers I aspire to.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Toy motivation leaves a lot to be desired.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Toy motivation leaves a lot to be desired.
So does showing up at an agility seminar you paid for and being told "I don't know how you are going to be able to do this if your dog won't play with toys".