Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Plus One

I pulled out my weave poles today for the first time in around 2 years

Fudge did really well! I was sending him out to them and he was doing 6. I need to get better with rewarding him though because he was stopping at looking back at me at the 5th pole to see if . Was throwing his ball.

was a lot slower than I'd like as well but I'd already exercised him and it was a warn day. I managed to get a video but can't post from my phone.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Top Dog

Alright, here's my 30 for 30 update. Today on our walk I lugged a jump along with me, and threw spray cheese in a backpack with our slip lead. Along the walk, we stopped at:
  • An empty tennis court. We practice sit/stays here a ton, because it is fenced (so if she breaks it, no biggie), and it's surround by woods, so I have to believe she sees/hears/smells things. I was hoping someone would walk their dogs or ride their bike past while we were practicing, but I think we were too early.
  • A basketball court. I pushed my luck and moved to the land of unfenced areas surrounded by woods. Still no one in sight. Sit/stay/leash off/jump/leash on/run across the court to get the treats out of my bag. We got 3 or 4 of them in before she took off after a rustling in the leaves on the ground (squirrel? bird?) but she eventually came back, I sent her over a jump, and we continued our practice.
  • A children's playground I wanted this as much for the weird surface under her feet as anything else (it's all mulch). As we were walking up the hill, someone came by with two dogs who reacted to Lucy, who responded back with RAWR RAWR RAWR I AM LEASH REACTIVE in return. I waited for them to get far enough away, played some attention games, and we managed to get in another half dozen start line practices. She'd look in the direction the other dogs went, but she took the jump, let me leash her, and ran straight for the treats.
I'm happy for several reasons. 1) I'm actually doing this (thank you, BB). 2) She didn't fixate on the treats and refuse to work (she broke one of those remote treat things in 10 minutes when I tried this before), and 3) She did pretty well, despite there not being any huge distractions.

Tomorrow I am going to try out in front of the townhouses at the entrance to my neighborhood (there are usually lots of small children running around)

Hope no one minds me cluttering the thread with my baby steps training...but i think it will help hold me accountable.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Top Dog

Good for you! I like seeing the updates because I need some ideas of where to work, too. Unfortunately the two jumps I have right now are huge and cumbersome. I'm thinking of ordering one of those cute travel ones when I get paid this week. After all, that's why I worked all holiday weekend - to have agility money!

Gusto gets to go to practice tonight for the first time since he got hurt. I'm half dreading it, because it is a group practice (multiple dogs running at the same time) and he had a lot of trouble with that last summer. But he got really good about working with another dog running in the barn this winter, so I'm *hoping* it will transfer over. This isn't the nicest, most helpful group of people at this practice, so I know they get annoyed if anyone's dog isn't 100% under control. We shall see how he handles it! Mostly I'm just so relieved that the vet proclaimed him healed.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:48 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Looks like 100x100--isn't that the same as other venues?
From your link, I think the relevant part for minimum sizes is

Indoor sites: no more than 3 structural support columns/poles within the ring; length is not to exceed 110’
•If the Width is at least 70’: Length is no less than 90’ for games only, 100’ for trials with standard offered on any day.
•If the Width is at least 80’: Length is no less than 80’ for games only, 90’ for trials with standard offered on any day.
•If the Width is 90’ – 110’: Length is no more than 110’ for any trial

So if you want to do all the course types, you're looking at least 70x100 or 80x90 with no more than 3 pillars obstructing.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 05-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Whoo-hoo! That's awesome and the photo is hilarious haha.

Congrats everybody on your successes!

Thanks. He wouldn't pose with them so jaws like "fine put them on your head" then he sat still!
Old 06-02-2013, 10:05 AM
Top Dog

I ordered a set of weave spikes that should be arriving monday. I am so excited to get Frag's weaves going again and trial sometime this year. lol.

Also, holy crap for diversity in a beginning agility foundations class that I'm teaching Saturday mornings... We don't get a lot of diversity around here, especially in the way of purebred dogs, but we have an English Shepherd, Malinois, German Shepherd, Australian Shepherd, Brittany Spaniel, Sheltie, Portuguese Water Dog, and a Husky mix...

Weird combo... I'm excited for these guys to continue on, though... a lot of them show great potential AND want to trial! XD

Frag has agility at a student's house tonight led by our trainer from Grand Rapids... I am very excited as he did SO well two weeks ago.

Starting some core strengthening exercises with Recon to help him out a little when we start back in agility next month. I can't believe he's almost a year old!

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 06-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Since my contact obstacles are nearly done being built, I've decided to start this Phenomenal Stopped Contacts in 30 Days program. I have two months so we'll see.

I'm giving it THE PAYTON TEST.
Hopefully I'll remember to blog about it.

I want to get a smart phone so it reminds me to write in my blog.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Top Dog

We did a CPE trial for the first time yesterday. Played level 3 Jackpot, standard, wild card and colors. Snooker was last, but it was 95* and in a non-air conditioned barn/tent thing...we were too melted to stay.

SO RELIEVED THAT I STILL HAVE AN AGILITY DOG.

She look AWESOME the first run of the day (Jackpot). We needed 22 points to go get the gamble, and she got 47 (+20 for the gamble). She was focused on the start, read the crosses beautifully, and ran like a pro. It helped that I was able to make my own course, so I could set straight lines to contacts and tunnels, and we skipped the weaves entirely. She was just incredible though. I could have cried at the end of the run, I was so happy.

The rest of the day she was fantastic too, but she wouldn't do a single set of weaves all day, so we never again Q'd. I DON'T CARE. She was focused, working for me, and looked awesome. I chalk half the weaves to stress, but at least half is to the heat. She can't crate inside (too reactive), so we car crate. I draped shade cloth, gave her a cooling mat, frozen kongs, fans, etc...but it was still hot.

By colors, she was just dead. The course started jump/weaves. I called her too me, turned, and sent her straight to the weaves, easiest entry ever...and she trotted right by them. I told her I understood, it was hot, and we ran the rest of the course perfectly, despite the heat. Then we packed up and headed home.

SO SO SO SO HAPPY with her performance!
Old 06-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
SO SO SO SO HAPPY with her performance!
Yay! Congratulations!

Old 06-03-2013, 06:23 AM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

YAY! Officially all in Excellent! Kimma got her OAJ yesterday with a really nice run. It was 94-degrees out and sunny and muggy, and I honestly didn't even expect her to run much of anything - but she had a clean run, and got a first place out of the deal! Our last first place, I'm sure, now that we've moved up

WOO!

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 22 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 5 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti ThD CGC TDIA - 7 years old (M)