Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Ooooh, that's a good idea! I can pick some of those up easily. Thanks!

I have a ball on a rope that is a velcro one, but the rope is almost three feet long D= I bought it because I thought it would be a good toy, but the rope is really just so long it doesn't seem very practical. I think I might tie a bunch of knots in it or something to shorten it up.
I use a two handled tug bag thingie from genuine dog gear. I don't know what exactly its called on there as I call it "the slime bag" because I put wet food in it and well yeah. Izzie likes it.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 05-24-2013, 11:42 AM
& the Muttly Crew

@Beanie-- (can't quote easily atm)

Depending on your end goals for her, it may be worth your time to just work on a strong tug/retrieve-food pairing for Georgie. Kim and Web were both like that... Food >> Toy... It took a bit but it's really nice to have that strong association so interacting with the object becomes a bridge to food.

Just my two cents though. I've used thrown/closed bait bags and food-in-tugs and the hardware plastic things and while I know a lot of people like them, for me they always felt like bandaids and once I could justbuse whatever toy I had handy and reward back it seemed like the dogs were able to think more cleanly and focus better. Probably just personal preference and how I use rewards, though.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 05-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I do need to get a food toy I can throw for her. She likes toys, but if there's food present she won't have anything to do with the toys. (Just like Uncle Auggie.) Any ideas? I'm thinking about just slicing into one of the Kong tennis balls Payton has killed and popping cookies inside, but I'm not sure. I have a sock that she destroyed that I considered putting cookies in so she can tug the sock for the cookies but I don't know if she will play the game. I don't own a Tug-It...
I haven't seen the toys Falon was talkinga about at hardware stores, so if you can't find them, clean run has them!

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fu...3&string=treat tube

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 05-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
@Beanie-- (can't quote easily atm)

Depending on your end goals for her, it may be worth your time to just work on a strong tug/retrieve-food pairing for Georgie. Kim and Web were both like that... Food >> Toy... It took a bit but it's really nice to have that strong association so interacting with the object becomes a bridge to food.
Oh, I totally agree. Part of the problem is that Georgie is not my dog so there's only so much I can do with her... a lot of this stuff is supposed to be my mom's responsibility. The deal is supposed to be she trains the skills but I will handle the dog. I have been asking her for about a year to work on some one jump stuff to build her forward focus, there's ONE exercise in particular I asked her to do... has she done it? NOPE. She has been working on left/right, or at least she did for a while. I bought Georgie a Chuck-It bumper for her birthday LAST year to build a retrieve because she was having a blast playing with Payton's (but I really don't want Georgie to tear up my dog's toys, they do a well enough job of that on their own.) It's still attached to the cardboard packaging. Her next birthday is two months from tomorrow... *sigh*

The weaves are supposed to be my mom's job as well, but if I wait for my mom to teach her it will never happen. She told me last week "We'll watch the 2x2 DVD this weekend and then I'll start teaching her next week." Not only did we not watch the DVD, but yesterday was Thursday and I was the one to insist we get started. ;P I came home after teaching puppy classes and picked up Georgie and was like "What's that?! You say you want to go work on weaves?? Tell Mama you want to work on weaves!!" LOL. My mom went out with me to watch and hopefully I will be able to turn it over to her at some point but I'm not optimistic. I am going to be teaching Georgie weave poles. =P I don't really MIND, I enjoy playing with Georgie, but it's difficult to teach her the massive amounts of skills I really would like her to have when she's not mine and I don't have access to her all the time, and will have even less time with her once I move out. =/

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-24-2013, 07:55 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Oh, I totally agree. Part of the problem is that Georgie is not my dog so there's only so much I can do with her... a lot of this stuff is supposed to be my mom's responsibility. The deal is supposed to be she trains the skills but I will handle the dog. I have been asking her for about a year to work on some one jump stuff to build her forward focus, there's ONE exercise in particular I asked her to do... has she done it? NOPE. She has been working on left/right, or at least she did for a while. I bought Georgie a Chuck-It bumper for her birthday LAST year to build a retrieve because she was having a blast playing with Payton's (but I really don't want Georgie to tear up my dog's toys, they do a well enough job of that on their own.) It's still attached to the cardboard packaging. Her next birthday is two months from tomorrow... *sigh*

The weaves are supposed to be my mom's job as well, but if I wait for my mom to teach her it will never happen. She told me last week "We'll watch the 2x2 DVD this weekend and then I'll start teaching her next week." Not only did we not watch the DVD, but yesterday was Thursday and I was the one to insist we get started. ;P I came home after teaching puppy classes and picked up Georgie and was like "What's that?! You say you want to go work on weaves?? Tell Mama you want to work on weaves!!" LOL. My mom went out with me to watch and hopefully I will be able to turn it over to her at some point but I'm not optimistic. I am going to be teaching Georgie weave poles. =P I don't really MIND, I enjoy playing with Georgie, but it's difficult to teach her the massive amounts of skills I really would like her to have when she's not mine and I don't have access to her all the time, and will have even less time with her once I move out. =/
Yeah I kind of thought that might be the case but figured it was worth a shot in case anything had changed.

The plastic tube things are usually in the hardware section of the hardware stores here. If you ask a worker it would probably help to have a picture of them -- they tend to give blank stares otherwise lol.

Or if you have an old pair of jeans or something of similar heavy cloth and feel like sewing, it's pretty easy to make a stuffable tug, too.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 05-26-2013, 05:03 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

WOO! Got our OA title today, and our second Open JWW Q!

I'm scared for Excellent

Loistava's Jari CGC - 18 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 05-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkie_Mom View Post

I'm scared for Excellent
Congrats!!!!
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkie_Mom View Post

I'm scared for Excellent
Congrats!!!
Old 05-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Boom!
Old 05-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Top Dog

And today's outdoor trial included low flying helicopters and military jets, winds so strong they were blowing over ez-ups, and a tractor driving 20 yards from the ring flipping around hay.

My dog's brain was nowhere to be found.

ARGH...we left halfway through the day, because it was clearly a lost cause. She left the ring to chase the tractor once, ran zoomies around after the ez-up blew over when I released her from the start line, and managed to string together a handful of obstacles on the other runs, but ughhhh. There is no way to proof this stuff. I live in the suburbs, we don't have tractors or helicopters, sheep, or blowing ez-ups. I can proof barking dogs. I can proof ring crew and judges and weird noises. I can proof getting stuck for ages on the start line. But I cannot help my poor little ADD spaz dog deal with the stress of unknowns of outdoor trials This sucks.

I am signed up for indoor/outdoor/indoor the next 3 weekends. I think I am going to forfeit the outdoor trial and hope that she is able to find her brain inside next weekend...

I just want some validation that the tens of thousands of dollars I've spent on training isn't completely wasted.

*sigh* Sorry to be so negative.