Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-01-2013, 07:53 AM
I'm All Ears

We're doing a full novice course with prizes this weekend for our 'graduation'. Lol. Should be fun.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Well, we're officially done with our training building. Lease is up. So far we haven't found another place but she's still looking.

Trainer is considering having us switch Payton's agility class to being outside at her place in the meantime.
YES PLEASE.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-01-2013, 10:06 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Trainer is considering having us switch Payton's agility class to being outside at her place in the meantime.
YES PLEASE.
Nice! Our trainer did that a year or so ago (we haven't been in class since :/ just training on our own) and it was good for the dogs to work through the distractions. Web had to work through being watched by sheep and ducks in addition to other dogs and a new outside place and I was so proud of him for his focus. And Mira had her first ever distraction moment (this after a year of trialing and really never needing focus work of any kind her whole life): an above ground swimming pool right next to the ring lol. Oooh I thought her brain was going to explode. She fought it down and worked with me and I rewarded her with a release to the pool and she bypassed the deck stairs and just leaped the 4' wall straight into the water.

It was a lot of fun, and great exposure for both dogs. More than I ever would have guessed. I hope it works out for you and you have a positive experience!!!

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 05-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Sport Model Pug

I can't imagine not training outside! The months we have to play in the barn are terrible, we're so used to being outside as much as we can. Even if its pretty chilly such as the last couple Tuesdays.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 05-01-2013, 10:28 AM
I'm All Ears

I don't mind the freezing days but the 110 weeks suck. I wish we had an indoor place too.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Yep, our outdoor training field is bordered by a US highway where the country folk like to drive their motorcycles, the big sheep pasture in the back, and the smaller pasture on the other side where the ponies play. In the back is the pond where the duck plays.
We shall see what Payton makes of it. I think he's ready to be out there and deal with the distractions. Auggie never had any issues during practice, though once he was done playing he was like "HEY WAIT SHEEPS." I'm not sure what Payton will think. I know he wanted to play with the rams last time we were out there haha.

Ugh we need to get him on sheep at some point too.

We won't train outside if it's unsafe, ie. dark, covered in snow, way too hot, or it's an entire field of mud (which it has been for several weeks.) I'm really glad we had our training building, Payton learned how to play on astroturf. Auggie never saw astroturf until we did an indoor trial and he was like "What is this s***???" hahaha. So P will be equipped to handle both before we even start trialing.
I'm thinking about buying some of the astroturf from them if we don't end up needing it for our new building. I don't think I want it in my garage (I would like to park my car in the garage sometimes) but I might put it under the carport behind the garage... not a ton of space there, but enough room to get puppies used to playing on astroturf.

The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Sport Model Pug

See and our trials here are either on barn dirt or grass. I've never seen AstroTurf anywhere or even the rubber matting at trials.

It's still light until almost 9pm here now so even our long regional prep class ends before dark.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 05-01-2013, 11:21 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
See and our trials here are either on barn dirt or grass. I've never seen AstroTurf anywhere or even the rubber matting at trials. .
You're lucky -- both those surfaces are generally superior to mats and astroturf, especially for big fast dogs. We were at a trial on astroturf a few weeks ago and the slippage was ridiculous even with sticky applied to groomed paws. Mira and the oter larger fast dogs were skidding everywhere. Webby was fine but he's a little tyke and not as fast. I won't be going back to that venue.

I wish we had more outdoor trials here. I love running on turf or arena dirt, and so does Mira. Especially the well done dirt. Bit of give, plenty of grip. Go baby go.

We train both inside and outside. We have to.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 05-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Everybody here is going to indoor. There are only three trials I can think of that are still outside, at least at venues I would go to. I've been to outdoor trials at places where the ground is treacherous for the dogs - I went once and wouldn't go back. There's the two outdoor local trials and Springfield is in a horse arena, but that's it.

One of the places in Indy just got new astroturf if I remember right... the old turf was crappy and everybody knew it, they knew it, they just couldn't afford to replace it for a while. Of course I haven't been back to trial on the new turf and nobody has mentioned if they like it or not.

Nobody I know has anything good to say about the floor at Purina Farms. EVERYBODY wants to trial at Purina Farms now though. So many clubs down south have moved there... blah.

The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Top Dog

Karen Holik may be dropping in my PK class tonight. I'm hoping her awesome agility handling rubs off on me. That is all.