Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Field goldens are extremely high energy and spunky. I lurve em.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post

I used to LOVE Aussies (from afar) but started thinking they were too serious. I'm always so used to seeing Aussies and BCs working/training so never see them just being themselves or being with their people.

I appreciate all of the opinions, I enjoy learning about the breeds.
It depends on the aussie I guess. I've been around all types. I housesit for an aussie person, and I've shown quite a few for her and others.

The girls are usually more serious. The majority of the boys though, are silly and playful and so much fun. My friend has a young boy right now who I just love. He's goofy and bouncy and would be sooo much fun to train. He's game for anything and he loves everyone. He gets along with all other dogs.

Zoom's Sawyer seems like he's a serious boy though, and they do usually mellow out as they age. The one I finished for Brenda is 7 now and he's mellowed out quite a bit. He's still playful, he's just more mature.

I've found that with most herding breeds the girls seems more serious from a younger age.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
I've always thought Goldens were super mellow. Whenever I think of a breed that's the "ultimate family dog" and is owned by tons of random people who know nothing about dogs without incident, I assume they must be boring and super laid back.
You know, I've heard that assumption before. I think that because they're so laid back in personality, it's easy for people to think they're laid back physically. That's not the case at all! And sadly, I think that's the biggest reason you see purebred goldens in shelter or rescue. The owners didn't realize that this is an active breed that requires a good amount of exercise and mental stimulation. If they don't get it, they can become destructive out of boredom. They're not the dog for a couch potato. Goldens can be calm when needed, but they're all energy when it's time for work or play, just like most sporting breeds. Tigger, our family golden retriever, could spend the entire day swimming and playing with us at the lake and still be going strong.

I think they're recommended as good family dogs or first-time dogs because their natural temperaments are pretty free of the traits that could cause issues with those not experienced with dogs: they're generally not barkers, not prone to DA or HA, not mouthy or tending to nip and herd people, don't have stranger wariness, aren't prone to running off like hounds, can usually get along well with other animals, are not particularly territorial or protective, and are very trainable.

I'd say their biggest fault is that they shed fairly heavily. Not on the level of a newfie, but more than your average dog. That beautiful golden undercoat seems to end up literally everywhere, LOL. They need a good brushing at least several times a week to keep the shedding under control.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:06 AM
Puppy Dog

If you decide to go with a golden retriever, please screen the breeder very well.
We're seeing alot of goldens in our area with nasty temperments....dog and people aggressive. Very unusual in goldens, but I've seen more than my fair share of aggressive goldens in this area.

I have labs...so my vote is for a lab!!!
Old 03-03-2012, 01:18 PM
love herds

Quote:
I used to LOVE Aussies (from afar) but started thinking they were too serious. I'm always so used to seeing Aussies and BCs working/training so never see them just being themselves or being with their people.
The aussies I know are total goof balls When Desoto is 'on' and we are working on training he is very serious. Same with when we are out on my parents property, he is very watchful of me and anyone who didn't know him would think he was a very serious dog. However the vast majority of the time we are just chilling out in the house and he is always doing something goofy and funny and entertaining. My BC however was much more intense and serious.

"A dog of uncanny brain and great loving loyal heart and with a dancing sense of fun, a dog with a soul."- Albert Payson Terhune (lad)
Old 03-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Lab Love

You described Duke, McGruff and Boomer to T. So I would say Lab for sure...

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 03-06-2012, 02:20 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Field goldens are extremely high energy and spunky. I lurve em.
Like!! Plus they usually have less coat to deal with too, since you said you don't want excessive coats.