Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Top Dog

Default fav. point & shoot camera

I love my camera, but I swear I can only get about 15-20 pictures out of a pair of batteries and am in the market for something to take with us to the Bahamas in July.

Suggestions?

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 02-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Mutts to you

What kind of batteries does your camera use? My DSLR uses 4 AA batteries and I've found the Photo Lithium AA batteries last a pretty long time; I can get 300 - 400 pics (unless I'm using my flash a lot). I always carry a spare pack of batteries in my camera bag.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 02-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Top Dog

it uses 2 AA

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
August 27th 2012

Old 02-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Top Dog

I love my Panasonic Zs3, which is no longer being made. It has 12x zoom, HD video and I ve gotten some excellent shots with it. There are new versions of it now. I think Amazon sells the zs9 for under $200 and if you don't care about a stereo mic then it would probably be a good buy. I have a zs10 as well which has a ton of awesome features but I think I'm probably going to sell it. While the sound would be great for normal video stuff, it's just too muffled for concert footage. Neither of these cameras tend to have the distortion issues with concert footage though, like most P&S and camcorders have. Otherwise, I like it fine so far (have only had it a couple weeks, so haven't tested it a lot) and all the crazy features are interesting.

Anyway the Panasonic ZS line are "travel zoom" cameras - intended to be excellent, compact travel cameras. I've had the zs3 for a couple years and have been extremely happy with it for both it's photos and it's video capabilities for a P&S camera. It's a good size too!
Old 02-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Dafuq?

I am happy with my Nikon Coolpix L110. And I only use Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries. Anything else is a waste of money. I just wish my camera took 2 instead of 4. ETA: They're making a new version of my camera now. I wouldn't mind having one, but I'm hoping my next equipment upgrade is to a DSLR.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 02-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Love My Mutt <3

My sister has the Nikon Coolpix 6200(?), the one that came out end of last year, anyway. She loves it. It's Pretty much the best you can go before getting into DSLRs. I think it was $269CAD just before Christmas

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-04-2012, 07:01 AM
Top Dog

You should get one that takes rechargeable batteries, buying batteries is such a waste really, no matter now many shots they can get.

Kodaks are good for rechareables.

My Photos
Old 02-04-2012, 07:31 AM
Top Dog

#1, you can buy rechargeable AA's, the charger isn't all that inconvenient, I must say I think it doesn't take any more room up storing than my camera battery recharters (actually, I like it better than my camera ones, because it plus right into the wall, I hate those tangled mess of cords!). I do also know, I've heard that some camera also offer a feature that when you plug it into the computer the battery will charge off your computer.

#2, I have a Coolpix S550, hate it! The first year, I loved it, it was great and took some pretty decent photo's, although I found the flash it uses to be on the harsh side, and the shutter speed is CRUD! However, after that first year I started to notice the degeneration of the photo quality. It no longer takes "clean" photo's, they are all de-pixelated grainy, it just gets worse as time goes on, and more of the photo's it takes are out of focus compared with before. The video mode is going dead, there is a dancing white pixel in all my video's, and again the grainy de-pixelation gets worse as time goes on.

By contrast, we also have an Olympus D-380, 2MP. We bought it way back when digital camera were first becoming the big thing to have, and I still to this day LOVE IT! Sadly the outdated card doesn't hold as many photo's at a time that it use to, and you can't get replacements, the one downside to their brand, they've always produced their cameras to run off their own system which is so stupid, but dang I love this cam! I'd have to say, as long as I can get one with a form of memory save that is more convenient, I'd rather go Olympus over Nikon if I had to buy a new "pocket cam" again. Although, the new Nikon with interchangeable lenses is VERY tempting!

Oh, I forgot the topic at hand, sorry! Both my digital's S550 and D80 have their own rechargeable battery, for travel I could see the inconvenience of the battery chargers, again those dang cords! For now I'd suggest for you to find the regular batteries that are rechargeable and get the small plug in recharger that fits 2-4 batteries, they're very easy to use.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Top Dog

I don't mind buying AA batteries while out and about, I just wish I could get more pictures out of a pair of batteries.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
August 27th 2012

Old 02-04-2012, 08:38 AM
Top Dog

In the UK we have Energizer Lithium batteries, do you know if you have them there? They are meant to last about 600 photos in a camera, my sister bought them for my Canon P&S when she borrowed it for a trip as she forgot the charger (I use rechargeable AA's in it usually). It kept going for around 4 hours and 300 photos. It's only now going flat after about 350 pics and 3 videos.

ETA: Found them
http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Ulti...8366376&sr=8-1

My Photos