Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-31-2012, 01:25 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Default Breeds for the first-time owner.

What would you recommend to someone who has never owned a dog before, and wants a companion?

A friend is looking for a small breed. She's not educated, and I Think she'd been fed too many bad stereotypes about certain breeds. I figure she can at least get ideas, and work back from there based on reading about them and seeing how other owners do.

My Polyvore
Old 01-31-2012, 01:30 PM
Top Dog

What does she want in a companion? Who cares about the breed. Go to every shelter or rescue in the area and look at and spend time with small dogs that fit her size requirement. Whatever dog has the qualities she likes is the one she should take home.

Dogs are like patients. They don't read breed standards, much like patients don't read text books. They don't know what they're "supposed" to be, they just are. A standard might say one thing and the dog will be something totally different.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:33 PM
Top Dog

Most Shih-Tzus I've met have been friendly little snugglers and their size makes them super manageable for a first time dog owner.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:38 PM
Very Food Agressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
What does she want in a companion? Who cares about the breed. Go to every shelter or rescue in the area and look at and spend time with small dogs that fit her size requirement. Whatever dog has the qualities she likes is the one she should take home.

Dogs are like patients. They don't read breed standards, much like patients don't read text books. They don't know what they're "supposed" to be, they just are. A standard might say one thing and the dog will be something totally different.
I agree here. Find a little dog in a shelter that she clicks with and go from there.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:38 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post

She simply wants a quiet, well-behaved dog. That's all she really gave me to go on. So I assume she wants a breed she can work with, not having trained any dog before.

She wants some sort of guideline to go on. She'd feel more comfortable knowing something about breeds in general. She never said she'd only choose a purebred (and in fact it wasn't her first choice). I don't see any harm in suggesting certain breeds to follow-up on.

My Polyvore
Old 01-31-2012, 01:42 PM
Very Food Agressive

I've met a handful of yorkies that have been super easy for their owners (All older owners too!) Shi's are ok but sometimes set of people who don't usually have a dog allergy (Like me!) I'd say not JRT's unless she's super active or willing to provide a lot of stimulation but that goes for most dogs, they need something to do. A greyhound (Italian) is a good breed that's calm in the house but will run itself silly outside.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy's Valkyrie View Post
I agree here. Find a little dog in a shelter that she clicks with and go from there.
Same suggestion here. If she has never had a dog, and just wants a general pet, go find some (adult) shelter mutt and have fun
Old 01-31-2012, 01:49 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I'd say shelter mutt!

But if she is suck on getting a certain breed, all the Shih Tzu that come into work are adorable and snuggly and awesome. I have yet to see one that wouldn't make a good pet.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 01-31-2012, 01:57 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

I'll tell her to read up on Shih-Tzus. The only similar breed I've owned is a Havanese; we mostly had large dogs.

I have no doubt she'd be willing to adopt a shelter mutt (though I also have no doubt she'd appreciate the connection to a reputable breeder who can be there to answer questions, alternatively), I think she just would like to have a breed in mind, to get some knowledge, because she's so new to dogs. Though, through my own searches, most of the smaller dogs in our shelters and rescues seem to be purebreds, or at the very least just a mix of a couple of breeds. Probably another reason she'd like to know more about breeds.

My Polyvore
Old 01-31-2012, 02:00 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

If she is worried about support she can look into breed rescue, most of them seem to be very good at helping new owners and being there for long term support.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi