Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Obey the Toad.

Default Border Terriers?

I'd love to know more about these little guys. A girl who frequents the training center Jack swims at has a pair of them and I am completely smitten.

Anyone have any experience with them/opinions of them?

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:23 PM
& the Muttly Crew

There are a couple around me. They vary a lot...from pretty low key, minimal drive, not human-oriented all the way to enthusiastic speedsters with tons of toy and food drive.

What do you want to know?

They are also one of the cutest breeds on the face of the earth. Just saying.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Just try me..

The breeder who breed Seren also has bt. They are super cute (cutest dog ever was a JRT bt cross that he had. It was an intended cross for hunting) but as has been said there is a lot of variation in the breed.

They tend to be a 'colder' terrier than a jack. But just as scrappy once turned on.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Top Dog

They seem to be a pretty popular choice for people who want a terrier for sports (not that there are a ton of them but they certainly have their following with sports minded people). They have a good reputation for being very trainable for a terrier and yeah, not as "extreme" in the terrier traits. I've known a few and they have seemed pretty in line with that reputation.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Just try me..

Though if you do want a working BT it is possible. There are VERY few though, which is likely why they are less extreme in general. They are one of the few terrier breeds where people seem to still work them (other than JRTs)
Old 02-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Top Dog

I looked into BT's and still have them as a potential future breed. I just loooveee them. I've only actually met, like, two in real life but still - I LOVE the scruffyness. <3

This is the kind of BT I would like:

From most of what I've read - they seem to be a bit less "terrier" than other terriers in general. Maybe less intense, not so much prone to DA. Laid back in the house but very active outside of it. Typically pretty good with children and not terribly wary of strangers.

Keep in mind, this is mostly what I've read, but it's why I've peaked an interest at them for sure.

I loooveee these BT's on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irG2FNcRvXo

Brit & Jackson

Old 02-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Just try me..

They shouldn't be 'less' terrier than a yorkie, westie, silky etc. They should still be a working dog. So think less than a JRT but more than your typical non working terrier.

That said the vast majority of BT I meet are in no way working dogs (just show lines, little instinct left, which is a shame).

For those who want the cute and size of terriers but want little in the way of 'bad' terrierness I would suggest Norfolk or Norwich terriers.

look at the cute!!

the ones with the prick ears are the Norwich

I have met quite a few of them having 'worked' their breed days. Super cute, spunky but with pretty much no DA at all. Also quite low key as a group.

Last edited by Dekka; 02-05-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:48 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

I've always enjoyed every Border I've met. I also love the Norwich and Norfolk Terriers.

Both have always been on my 'potentials' list.

My Polyvore
Old 02-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Top Dog

FWIW There are pretty wide spread respiratory issues in Norwich Terriers. Most that I have personally known have had to have surgery due to this. i think at least one of the dogs ended up having to have multiple surgeries. I don't know enough about the breed to tell you more specifics about it, just that I've been told by someone very involved in the breed that it is very common in them. Not a reaosn not to get one but a head's up, that even well bred puppies may need to have a fairly pricey surgery to deal with respiratory issues.

"Many of us are very concerned about the number of Norwich Terriers with abnormalities involving the upper airway. Although only a portion of Norwich Terriers have clinical signs of noisy breathing, many show signs of difficulty breathing or reduced stamina during activities such as agility, and a study in Switzerland showed that the vast majority of Norwich tested by upper airway scoping were affected to some extent. A variety of changes were seen including everted laryngeal saccules, elongated soft palates and other alterations to airway structure and integrity. " http://norwichterrierclub.org/health/larynx-study

It sounds like it's a concern for Norfolks too:

"Unfortunately, a large number of Norwich Terriers seem to be affected by some kind of respiratory problem. Breeders claim it is impossible to exclude all compromised dogs from breeding, or the Norwich Terrier could become extinct. It has become so common and such a concern that both the Norwich and Norfolk Terrier Clubs have assembled a committee to find out more about the condition and its causes and hopefully find a cure." http://jjackson.wrytestuff.com/swa524104.htm
Old 02-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Obey the Toad.

I was just kind of hoping to get a feel for the breed and what it was like. The two that I know compete in freestyle and agility--they seem drivey but the owner says they can be stubborn as well.

I would be interested in a drivey, fun, sturdy little dog with some terrier spunk but not too serious and DA. It would be a pet primarily that I could be active with, that could dabble in agility, rally, possibly freestyle.

I have read that it is a dog not to be trusted with small animals and I have birds, but honestly I don't trust any dog with a bird....

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.