Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Felurian

Don't forget that you and Alabama are going to carry at least traces of Coco's scent, so it might be better to avoid the busiest dog times at the park. YOU or Alabama could start the riot -- or find yourself being sniffed and humped.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Don't forget that you and Alabama are going to carry at least traces of Coco's scent, so it might be better to avoid the busiest dog times at the park. YOU or Alabama could start the riot -- or find yourself being sniffed and humped.
We once had a male beagle at work who was getting WAY more attention than he should have been. Male dogs were drooling, chattering, licking him, and WOULD NOT leave him alone. It was so bizarre, and I kept asking if all the girls that day were spayed (they all were, except for my dog, who was def not in season).

A few weeks later, his owner told me that their Shih-Tzu had just finished her first heat cycle! I was like, OH. MY. GOD. No wonder.

So yes, you WILL carry Coco's scent with you. I'd walk at less crowded times.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:57 AM
& the Muttly Crew

A couple of things...

Remember that when the blood stops, she is not out of heat --the blood often decreases/stops for a bit when they are most fertile.

She may or may not get along with other dogs during this time. And, especially if they haven't been around intact adult dogs before, they may or may not get around with her.

My girl is neat so long as she's not on a mission. When sleeping soundly or when On A Mission, not so much. So she wears panties lined with a women's pantiliner. I just made them for her since most I found and liked were ~$30/pair...

Anyway good luck...Mira just came into heat Tuesday so I'm right there with ya... *sigh*

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Cloudcandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
So yes, you WILL carry Coco's scent with you. I'd walk at less crowded times.
Omg,I didn't even think about that!I think I'll just walk Alabama somewhere else and not the park!There is WAY too many dog's around during all time's of the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
A couple of things...

Remember that when the blood stops, she is not out of heat --the blood often decreases/stops for a bit when they are most fertile.

She may or may not get along with other dogs during this time. And, especially if they haven't been around intact adult dogs before, they may or may not get around with her.

My girl is neat so long as she's not on a mission. When sleeping soundly or when On A Mission, not so much. So she wears panties lined with a women's pantiliner. I just made them for her since most I found and liked were ~$30/pair...

Anyway good luck...Mira just came into heat Tuesday so I'm right there with ya... *sigh*
She has pantie's now I had to go get any old pair,which are these black one's,not very attractive.I'll get a pic up tonight,but right now she is asleep inside the BF's dressing gown!
Last night she was SO insulted that she was not allowed on the bed,I think it was harder on me than her though,she settled down quickly.

I'm not sure what to expect with mood,today she slept pretty much all day.Apart from a walk round to my nan's and potty break's she seem's most content to sleep on my BF.Will her mood change over the cycle?

In term's of timing,since she went into heat yesterday will she be safe to be free again in exactly 3 week's?

"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."
Lemony Snicket
Old 02-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Glutton for Crazy

No, my females first heat lasted a month and she literally bled the whole time. This one, her second, was about 3 weeks and she only bled about 2 weeks.

Honestly during her heat we still went to training, the park (to play ball, we never go to dog parks), to my work, and out and about. Her life wasn't about to just stop because she was in heat. We were as we always are very careful about strange dogs getting too close and we never left her alone unsupervised outside of our house/her crate.

My own male lost his poor mind for 2 of those weeks and the 3rd was rough this time but on her first heat he barely noticed. Also, no outside dogs really seemed to care that much except after she was done our training directors malinois started flirting pretty heavily, he was a bit late to the game.

Just be careful, supervise constantly when not in a secure area, and keep her clean and happy. You'll get through this.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:32 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Mira still sleeps on the bed when she's in heat, just wearing her panties. Hasn't been an issue, no spots on the bed. Only problem is that she gets super suddly so instead of sleeping at the foot she tends to creep up and try to crawl inside my skin lol.

Whether her mood changes, well that's depend on her. Mira's doesn't really...I still run her at group agility during her heat and her focus is still good. I wouldn't take her to class or anything but a couple friends getting together to play in a safe area and with them forewarned...not a problem. Other people an't work their dogs in heat because they go ompletely scatter brained or snarky. It's hard to say.

As for the rest, just watch her. With Mira and a lot of dogs it's pretty obvious when they ome out of heat because the swelling subsides and they stop flagging everything. I gave it a couple extra days to be safe and gave her a good path to get some of the scent knocked down so she wasn't a walking billboard lol. Some people take them out as soon as they think they are done but I prefer to err on the side of aution and give it a few days. Last time I think we ended up around 4 weeks but that was her first so hopefully this one will be a touch faster.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
Old 02-02-2012, 01:35 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Oh and ugly panties are good lol...you won't forget to take them off when you take her outside. Nothing like having to wash them because you forgot and the poor dog tried to pee while wearing them...lol

Old 02-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Cloudcandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
No, my females first heat lasted a month and she literally bled the whole time. This one, her second, was about 3 weeks and she only bled about 2 weeks.

Honestly during her heat we still went to training, the park (to play ball, we never go to dog parks), to my work, and out and about. Her life wasn't about to just stop because she was in heat. We were as we always are very careful about strange dogs getting too close and we never left her alone unsupervised outside of our house/her crate.

My own male lost his poor mind for 2 of those weeks and the 3rd was rough this time but on her first heat he barely noticed. Also, no outside dogs really seemed to care that much except after she was done our training directors malinois started flirting pretty heavily, he was a bit late to the game.

Just be careful, supervise constantly when not in a secure area, and keep her clean and happy. You'll get through this.
Thank you!I was getting worried at the prospect of no walk's,as she loves those walks!Today she seem's a bit knocked out though.I'm sure tomorow with Alabama round she'll have some fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Mira still sleeps on the bed when she's in heat, just wearing her panties. Hasn't been an issue, no spots on the bed. Only problem is that she gets super suddly so instead of sleeping at the foot she tends to creep up and try to crawl inside my skin lol.

Whether her mood changes, well that's depend on her. Mira's doesn't really...I still run her at group agility during her heat and her focus is still good. I wouldn't take her to class or anything but a couple friends getting together to play in a safe area and with them forewarned...not a problem. Other people an't work their dogs in heat because they go ompletely scatter brained or snarky. It's hard to say.

As for the rest, just watch her. With Mira and a lot of dogs it's pretty obvious when they ome out of heat because the swelling subsides and they stop flagging everything. I gave it a couple extra days to be safe and gave her a good path to get some of the scent knocked down so she wasn't a walking billboard lol. Some people take them out as soon as they think they are done but I prefer to err on the side of aution and give it a few days. Last time I think we ended up around 4 weeks but that was her first so hopefully this one will be a touch faster.
Thanks!I may keep her off the bed again tonight,not only because of her heat but also because the BF has man flu,it's not very comfortable with a spluttering man and a tiny dog that still manages to take up all the space!This weekend though I reckon she'll sleep with us!

I'll keep you all updated,thanks so much for the advice,it's so exciting to see her growing up

"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."
Lemony Snicket
Old 02-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Cloudcandy

Soooooooooooooo,when is her heat over?When can I safely take her too the park?
It's been 17 day's since her first bleed,it lasted approx. maybe a week.

Lemony Snicket